Top Mistakes Graphic Designers MakePosted on 22
Below is a list of very common mistakes that so called ‘graphic designers’ make.
How many of these do you do regularly?
- Take constructive criticism too personally
- Not knowing any famous designers in particular Paula Scher, Milton Glaser, Paul Rand and not knowing WHY they were famous
- Not Staying Up on Current Events and Design News
- Not Owning the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook
- Charging too Little for Design Projects
- Not Using Contracts to Cover Your Butt
- Not Setting Deadlines for Projects
- Doing Spec Based Work (If you like it you can pay)
- Not Asking for a Down Payment before Starting a Project
- Using Poorly Designed Fonts from Free Font Sites
- Using Display Fonts as Text Fonts
- Using the Comic Sans Font
- Using too Many Different Fonts in One Design
- Forgetting White Space is your Friend
- Not Sketching Before Designing
- Not Using Rulers on Screen
- Relying Totally on the Computer, Especially for Kerning
- Using Photoshop Filters After Your First 6 Months
- Using Low Resolution Web Images for Print
- Not Designing Logos in Vector Format
- Making Logos Unable to Reproduce Well Small
- Forgetting to Learn Keyboard Shortcuts
- Not Saving Frequently
- Not Backing up Files on an External Hard Drive
- Not Getting Enough Sleep!
- Stealing or ‘borrowing’ Other Peoples Work
- Using the dash quotation marks instead of true quotation marks.
If you are doing the following (below) I wouldn’t call yourself a ‘graphic designer’, well at least not a professional one and would recommend doing some more research into the subject area.
12. Using the Comic Sans Font (for the right purpose
13. Using too Many Different Fonts in One Design
19. Using Low Resolution Web Images for Print
20. Not Designing Logos in Vector Format
But remember rules can be broken.
This list was compiled by myself and Gino Orlandi over at You The Designer.
What other mistakes do graphic designers make?
- Taking UX to the Next Level in 2014: How to Exceed Customer Expectations (4)
- 4 Successful Marketing Campaigns that Rocked the World! (6)
- The Current State of Illustration and How to Succeed in 2014 (7)
- My Logo for Jerry Seinfeld shown at Superbowl Half Time (8)
- The 2013 Logo of The Year + Runner Ups (9)