9 Up & Coming Design BlogsPosted on 06
Yesterday marked the 10,000+ subscriber milestone for Just Creative Design so I thought it would be appropriate to share the love and help some up and coming design blogs.
These blogs are all relatively new to the scene but I believe they deserve a bit more exposure… these particular blogs make a consistent effort to make the design world a better place by offering fresh perspectives, original articles, and great resources for all. I would recommend keeping an eye on them as I can see them going far.
You may also be interested in the OPML file so you can import all the feeds at once, rather than having to subscribe to each site one-by-one. You can download the OPML file here (right click, save target as) and read a tutorial on how to import the OPML file into Google Reader.
Web Designer Depot
Web Designer Depot is probably the newest blog in this list but they have already got pages and pages of quality articles. The articles are written by numerous different authors (including, soon to be, myself) so the topics are quite diverse, which is why I think the domain name is a bit deceiving… Web Designer Depot site is for all designers, not just web designers.
- Large Website Backgrounds Do’s and Don’ts
- Video Game Design Between 1990-2008
- 100 Websites With Outstanding Artistic Design
iDesign Studios, run by Selene Bowlby is a great place to go for web design resources, small business / freelancing tips and much more. Selene has a quite unique writing style which I find quite easy to read not to mention how in depth / well researched her articles are. A great resource and a blog I highly recommend.
- 6 Phases Of The Web Development Process
- 60+ Essential Feeds for Freelance Web Designers
- How To Us WordPress As A CMS
Design Cubicle, run by Brian Hoff, is another relatively new blog on the scene but it’s getting up there due to Brian’s original design related articles. The topics range quite a bit so the best way to know what he posts about is to explore his site.
- 16 Tips To Improve As A Graphic Designer
- 10 Common Typography Mistakes
- Create Interactive PDF’s that Impress Clients
Colorburned, run by Grant Friedman, is a blog that posts on a large variety of design related topics but what makes this blog stand out is the amount of freebies given away and the regular interviews with well known bloggers / designers. Grant also sells some high resolution textures.
- 127 RSS Feeds That All Designers Should Subscribe To
- 63 Extraordinary Companies that Support the Design Community
- 81 Amazing Argyle Illustrator Brushes (Just one of many freebie posts)
Positive Space Blog
Positive Space Blog is run by Anthony Zinni who is an active member in the online design community. Anthony writes about the culture of design, giving tips and more on a variety of topics. Positive Space Blog has a great community of readers who regularly add to the discussion.
- 30 Essential PDF Documents Every Designer Should Download
- 30 Holiday Gift Ideas for Creatives or Geeks (Better late than never)
- Amazing Sites – Web 2.0 Sites That Don’t Look It
Fuel Your Creativity
Fuel Your Creativity, run by Adelle Charles, is probably the oldest blog in this list and the one with the most subscribers but I thought it should get a mention in this list as FYC’s posts are always high quality. FYC offers freebies, interviews, news, reviews, resources and much more.
- 3 Deadly Sins of Print Design
- How To Find & Keep A Great Designer
- 10 Useful Marketing Tools For Freelancers
We Function is run by Liam McKay who is another active member in the online design community. I am a big fan of Liam’s articles as they are often in depth and over the top (as in value). You will see what I mean when you read some of his articles. Quality and quantity!
- How To: Taking WordPress One Step Further
- 125+ Unconventional Sources of Web Design Inspiration
- 50 Stunning Examples of a great redesign: My Top Picks
DesignM.ag is run by the write-a-holic, Steven Snell who writes for numerous design blogs, including Smashing Magazine and his own site, Vandelay Design. Steven’s articles are always choc-full of design related resources and I would suspect half of my delicious bookmarks are his posts.
DesignM.ag also features a great community news section with a prominent position on the site for your own article exposure. Great articles and exposure, what more could you want?
- 10 Quick Tips for Photoshop Users
- 350+ Retro and Vintage Photoshop Brushes
- 101 Free Stone & Rock Textures
Elite By Design
Elite By Design is run by Brian Lovin, who is another active member in the online design community. Although Elite By Design runs by the tag line of ‘Web Design and Photoshop Inspiration’, the site offers a whole lot more ranging from tutorials right through to interviews and freebies… it just had a redesign too! Worth a look for sure.
- How To Master Photoshop In Just One Week
- 105+ Logo Design Tuts And Resources
- 23 Most Incredible Photoshop Tutorials
Still Want More?
Check out my previous post 31 new design blogs of 2008 or the post: The best graphic design articles from 37 top design blogs as chosen by the authors themselves. Hope you have a great new year!
- 16 Great Websites with Unique & Unusual Navigation (1)
- Taking UX to the Next Level in 2014: How to Exceed Customer Expectations (4)
- 4 Successful Marketing Campaigns that Rocked the World! (6)
- The Current State of Illustration and How to Succeed in 2014 (7)
- My Logo for Jerry Seinfeld shown at Superbowl Half Time (8)