The Secret To Creativity…Posted on 30
Every designers’ dirty little secret is that they copy other designer’s work. They see work they like, and they imitate it. Rather cheekily, they call this inspiration.
Or to put this into a slightly similar phrase…
“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.”
The latter quote by Einstein is the topic that myself and two others have to talk about, for 20 minutes, for a university project and I thought it would be great to get some responses from you guys…
Here are some questions to consider:
- How true is this statement?
- How does hiding your sources make you more creative?
- When does inspiration become plagiarism? (Great discussion in Aaron’s article)
- Have you ever copied someone’s work? Or parts of? (Be honest)
- How much of someone else’s idea can we copy before it becomes a copy?
- Is there such thing as an original idea?
Further Creativity Resources
Here are some high quality resources on creativity:
- Creatitivity in Schools by Sir Ken Robinson
Great thought provoking video on education (highly recommended).
- The Brain As A System & The PO Creative Tool
A great essay on Dr. Edward de Bono’s work.
- How To Be Creative
Some great methods on how to be creative.
- How To Boost Your Creativity
Some sure fire techniques to get your creative juices flowing.
- Accidental Plagiarism
An article highlighting how we can accidentally plagiarise others.
- Subliminal advertising
A video showing how subliminal messages communicate to us.
- Is Lateral Thinking Necessary for Creativity?
- Free Hand-Picked Resources for Designers and Developers – May Edition (0)
- 18 Insider Web Design Tricks to Simplify Your Process & Workflow (6)
- 7 Online Business Ideas You Can Start and Run from Home (13)
- 30 Awesome Free Web Design Resources You Must Add To Your Collection (13)
- 5 Must-Know Visionaries of Modern Graphic Design (7)