12 Ways Your Logo Impacts Social Media MarketingPosted on 02
This is a guest article contributed by Pat Malloy*.
Social media now affects all facets of business – from marketing to end customer support and everything in between. Social media is where you see product and service feedback. Social media is where you learn what your customers like… and don’t like. And it’s the quickest way to build brand recognition within your target market.
So where does your logo fit in to social media marketing? Although small in size, it’s an extremely important element that contributes to the success of any social media campaign. Think about it – your customers (both potential and current) will see it on a daily basis. They’ll form a perception of your company that will stay with them forever… This article helps you make the most of these brand perceptions with the following sections:
- 5 Design Tips for an Effective ‘Social Media’ Logo
- 7 Ways Your Logo Design Impacts Social Media Marketing
Let’s dive right in!
5 Design Tips for a Social Media Logo
There are several aspects that go into a logo design – colors, fonts, taglines, and more. But, when you’re designing what we like to call a “social media-approved” logo, there are many other variables to consider as well:
- Be mindful of your aspect ratio – A majority of social media sites will require you to convert your logo to a square (or nearly square)-shaped thumbnail. Your logo doesn’t need to be a perfect square, but should have the capability of being easily converted to one. It’s best to make use of all the space you have so your logo won’t have to be compressed or reduced to fit into the small space.
- Be consistent – With an effective social media strategy, your logo will be seen on a variety of sites – Facebook, YouTube, and your personal site to name a few. For this reason, it’s best to have one logo you use for every site. This is also helpful in case a site requires you to crop or resize your image – you want a logo that looks the same, regardless of what’s done with it.
- Use detached text and graphics – When designing, make sure your text and graphics are separate elements. This will help if it ever needs to be converted to a different size. In fact, some companies use a single graphic or single letter in social media for ease of use.
- Simplicity matters – If you have an intricate logo, you run the risk of some of the elements not being recognizable when it’s resized. For this reason, you should avoid long taglines, thin lines, and detailed graphical elements.
- Limit colors and shades – A logo that uses 2-3 colors will work better on a “busy” social media sites because it stands out and won’t get lost in the backdrop.
7 Ways Your Logo Design Impacts Social Media Marketing
Whether you like it or not, social media gets many aspects of your business “out there” and visible to a wide audience. And your business’s logo has a strong impact on how your business is perceived in the market. It lets your customers know what you’re selling and can even help them remain loyal customers for years.
Here are some of the top ways your logo impacts social media marketing:
- It can help increase followers, friends, and shares – A professional and attractive-looking logo on a webpage or blog post is more likely to be shared with friends than one that doesn’t look reliable or trustworthy.
- It increases perception of your business size – Having an attractive logo and branding will make your business look professional and bigger than what it is – even if you’re a team of two or three that work in your pajamas.
- It shows professionalism and increases trust – A well-designed logo shows that your company is professional and more importantly, can be trusted. Customers will get the sense that your company will be around for years to come.
- It communicates your story – Your story can be communicated in many ways, from a meaningful picture to your font and color choice.
- It helps you stand out from competitors – A logo that’s visually interesting and relates to your clients will help your business materials – from your website to all print materials – stand out from the competition.
- It drives brand recognition across platforms – When a logo is used consistently over many platforms, customers will get several impressions of the logo, thus creating more memorability. Since many people are visual learners, they’ll remember your brand better when they see it, rather than hear or read about it.
- It helps make your customers happy – An attractive and effective logo will appeal to your customers and make them happy to be associated with you. This includes everything from the logo’s colors and fonts to its overall image. The bottom line is that you want customers to get a good “feeling” from you.
When creating a logo for your social media campaign, keep in mind that a good one won’t necessarily work in every social media platform, but these tips can help you create a logo that gives you an attractive online presence.
Related Social Media Articles
- Using Dribbble & Social Artistry for Inspiration
- HOW TO: Get more brand exposure, traffic and sales using Facebook
- Twitter Tips
- How To Get Clients Using LinkedIn
- 10 Twitter Design Lists Worth Following
- What blog posts bring in the most readers?
- Your Favourite Favourited Tweetsmax
About the Author:
*Pat Malloy is a designer and a writer. He believes a good logo design improves business – and it doesn’t have to be expensive.
- Amazing Tools for Optimizing Your Headlines and Content (1)
- How To Travel & Freelance – Secrets for Successfully Freelancing Abroad (3)
- Free Hand-Picked Resources for Designers and Developers – August Edition (3)
- What you would like to see on Just Creative? (9)
- How to convert PSD files to WordPress (0)