Hello, my name is Jacob Cass and I am the founder of JUST Creative which is my design studio and graphic design blog. I specialize in logo design / brand identity design and offer design services to businesses of all sizes around the world.
I’m a digital nomad and I travel the world while freelancing & blogging. You can see my current location on my travel blog, JUST Globetrotting.
This page has a ton of information and you probably don’t have all day, so click below to jump to section that interests you!
- A Short History
- The Blog & Business
- My Other Websites
- Clients & Testimonials
- Awards Won
- Published Work
- Judging Roles
- Achievements & Press
- Events Attended
- Speaking Engagements
- Social Networks
- Year by Year Bio
- Contact Me
I am self-employed as a graphic designer, specialising in the fields of corporate identity (logo) design, web design, print design and branding with the majority of my time spent designing and implementing marketing promotions for businesses such as logos, websites, letterhead, business cards, packaging and more.
In January 2010, I moved from Sydney, Australia to New York City, USA to begin full time work at Carrot Creative, a new media marketing agency specialising in media strategy, design & development. Select clients included Disney, Nike, Red Bull & Coach. If interested, you can read about how I scored the job (via Twitter) at Carrot Creative.
After my six month stint at Carrot, I moved on to work at The Wonder Factory, a interactive design studio based in Chelsea, New York for another few months. To get experience at different firms, I then moved on to work for Alexander Interactive for 4 months and then onto OpenSky for 4 months. I then settled down at Ammirati for 4 years working as an Interactive Designer, for clients like Jerry Seinfeld, Nintendo, VitaminWater, Powerade, OMEGA and more, while also taking on my own personal freelance clients.
As of March 2015, I am currently traveling the world while freelancing.
I hold a Bachelor of Visual Communication (Graphic Design Major) from The University of Newcastle, Sydney, Australia with a Dean’s Recommendation of Honours. Although I am just 27 years of age, I’ve had a multitude of experience, gaining my first freelance design job at the age of 16 – since then I have never turned back…
My life is design, I love it and I surround myself in it every day.
1. Passionate (I absolutely love what I do)
2. Enthusiastic (I want to learn)
3. Sceptical (I think critically)
4. Focused (I have the right attitude)
I also love to travel and have had the pleasure of exploring 36 states of the USA and 36 other countries so far of which I spent 1 year as an exchange student living, working, and studying in Gothenburg, Sweden and 5 years in New York.
When I’m not looking at a computer screen you will find me on my iPhone or at the beach, traveling, or listening to music – maybe even all at once. You can check out some more pictures and stories of my travels here: Costa Rica, Fiji, Europe, Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japan & New Zealand, Iceland.
You can follow more of my travel adventures on my travel blog Just Globetrotting.
JUST Creative was launched in November 2007 as my design business and also as a graphic design blog. The blog focuses on all areas of design and creativity, ranging from but not limited to; graphic design, logo design, web design, advertising, branding, typography, designers, blogging, resources, my work, photography, colour, marketing, social media, user experience and more. Quite varied, however the underlying focus is design!
JUST Creative is a growing graphic design company serving unique people like yourself and businesses across the world. I don’t have an office, but rather work on the road while traveling the world.
Founded in Sydney, Australia, I give my clients the most superior and cost efficient solutions in this vastly competitive market. I specialise in areas such as logo design, corporate identity design, branding, web design, social media and print design.
I believe that quality is the one article of trade which cannot be compromised and this is clearly seen in my work, giving my clients the satisfaction they deserve. Don’t just take my word for it, read some of my client’s testimonials.
Apart from this website, I also run three other websites:
- Logo Of The Day Logo Of The Day is a high-profile logo design award scheme that rewards the best professional logos and trademarks designed throughout the world. Logo Of The Day is also a place to come for logo design inspiration daily! It is also a place to discuss, share & rate logo design!
- Logo Designer Blog Logo Designer Blog is a blog focused purely on branding, logo & identity design. It is a place for logo design discussion, inspiration, tips and resources (and then some) provided by myself and the many contributors to the site.
- Just Globetrotting My travel blog documenting photos, stories & trips from traveling the world.
CLIENTS & TESTIMONIALS
JUST Creative customers have come from many different industries and backgrounds and working with them has developed my experience in many ways. Previous clients have come from over 6 continents and include places such as USA, Canada, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Spain, United Arab Emirates, Jamaica, India, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and The Philippines. View full client list here.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
Although not a motivation, I have been fortunate enough to have been recognised for my work. Below is a small sample.
- Young Alumni Award from The University of Newcastle Australia (2014)
- ‘Best Of Continent’ – 2009 Wolda Logo Design Award (Fitucci logo)
- ‘Best Of Australia’ – 2009 Wolda Logo Design Award (Fitucci logo)
- 2012 CSS Award – Just Creative website
- 2010 Silver Award – 40th International Creativity Awards (SYA Website)
- 2010 Logo Design Awards – Honourable Mention (Just Creative Design logo)
- ‘Best Of Continent’ – 2008 Wolda Logo Design Award (Just Creative Design logo)
- ‘Best Of Australia’ – 2008 Wolda Logo Design Award (Just Creative Design logo)
- Logo Design Love Award (Just Creative Design Logo)
- Logo From Dreams Award (Square Room Logo)
- Logo Of The Month – June 2009 (Newcastle Food & Wine Festival Logo)
- Design Graphics Magazine Design Commendation (DG Magazine Cover)
- agIdeas NewStar Shortlist (Photoshop For Right Brainers Book Cover)
- 1st Place - 2008 National Youth Week Best Tattoo Design.
- 2nd Place – 2008 National Youth Week Best Website Design.
- 1st Place – 2007 National Youth Week Best Tattoo Design.
- Finalist – 2007 National Youth Week Best Poster Design.
- 2nd Place – 2007 – Roads & Traffic Authority Best Drink Coaster Design.
- Just Creative Design Logo published in Wolda Annual 2008.
- Peter Ryan Logo published in The Best of Logo Lounge 5.
- Square Room Logo published in The Best of Logo Lounge 5
- Graphic Design Down Under (ISBN: 978-3939998099)
- Logo 2 (ISBN: 978-3-939998-17-4)
- Best Package Design (ISBN: 978-3939998099)
- Graphic Design 2 (ISBN: 978-3939998099)
- Label Design (ISBN: 978-3939998099)
- Australian Art & Design Education Resource Guide 2008
- Australian Art & Design Education Resource Guide 2010
- Blogs: Mad About Design (Maomao Publications, Spain, 2008)
- DG Portfolio 8 – (2008)
- MyOwnBusinessCard Volume 1 (Design and Design, 2009)
- LogoLounge Volume 5: International Identities by Leading Designers (2009)
- Layers Magazine – November / December 2008
- Layers Magazine – March / April 2009
- Layers Magazine – May / June 2009
- Layers Magazine – August / September 2009
- Computer Arts Magazine – September, Issue 166, 2009
- Computer Arts Magazine – August, Issue 167, 2009
- Computer Arts Magazine – November, Issue 170, 2009
- Computer Arts Magazine – December, Issue 171, 2009
- Computer Arts Magazine – May, Issue 200, 2012
- Computer Arts Magazine: The Design Career Handbook – August 2013
- Logo Nest 101
- Computer Arts Projects: Logo Design & Branding
- Vero water bottle packaging design published in Basic Pack by IndexBook
- 6 logos featured in The Best of Logo Lounge Vol. 6
- Creativity Awards Annual – SYA Website Design
- Liquid Packaging – Vero Water Bottle & Wedgetail Distillery Vodka Bottle
- International Visual Communication Design - Vero Water Bottle & Wedgetail Distillery Vodka Bottle
- 6 logos featured in I Heart Logos Vol. 1
- Recycling & Redesigning Logos by Michael Hodgson – Fitucci Logo
- 9 logos featured in Logo Lounge’s Master Library Book 3
- 3 logos featured in Logo Anatomy by Gramedia
- 6 logos featured in LogoLounge Master Library 3000 Typography and Enclosures
- 6 logos featured in Logo Lounge Volume 5
- 6 logos featured in Logo Lounge Volume 6
- 6 logos featured in Logo Lounge Volume 7
- 2 logos featured in Logo Lounge Volume 8
- Redwave Systems Case Study featured in LogoNest Vol 1.
- 4 logos featured in ‘Branding Elements – Logos’ by SendPoint
- VideoGamer.com case study appears in ‘Relogo‘ by Sandhu Publishing (Late 2011)
- Double page interview in Get Your Photography on the Web – Rafel RC Concepcion
- 2 Logos featured in ‘International Design Yearbook 2011′
- Freelancers Guidebook, by Computer Arts 2012
My work & writing can also be seen on numerous leading websites & magazines:
Smashing Magazine, Design Graphics, .Net Magazine, Computer Arts, Layers Magazine, HOW, PSDTuts, VectorTuts, DesignTaxi, Freelance Switch, Logo Moose, FavUp, Creative Pool, David Airey, Freelance Folder, Creaticca, Most Inspired, Creative Curio, Line25, My Ink Blog, Design Informer, CSS Collection, Daily Slurp, CSS Based, LoopPress, Logo Pond, W3C Sites, CSS Leak, CSS Clip, BlogPond, Layers TV, CSS Creme, Design Flavr, Logo From Dreams, Web Designer Depot, Inspiredology, The Design Inspiration, and many more.
I’ve been fortunate enough to be on the panel on a number of award judging panels.
- Best Brand Awards Jury Member (2014)
- Judge for the Annual Design Awards (2010-2013) along such names as Elliot Jay Stocks, Sagi Haviv, Ivan Chermayeff, David Carson and more. Product categories include Logo Design, Poster/Billboard Design, Website Design, Marketing Campaign, Product Packaging Design, Movie Poster Design , Music CD/Album Cover Design & Book Cover Design.
- Video judge for Hewlett Packard’s ‘Design With A Twist’ video design competition. (2009)
- Logo design “Judge Of The Month” for the Logo From Dreams logo awards. (March 2010)
- Graphic design judge for the Project Never Competition judging “the best rejected designs”. (2009-2010)
- Web design judge for The CSS Awards judging “the best websites in the world”. (2009-2010)
- Northwest Indiana Creative Project Curator
- Logo design judge for The Logo Of The Day logo award scheme. (2008-Present)
Achievements & Press
- Member of NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
- Front Cover Featured Article of the Jan / Feb 2009 Edition of Layers Magazine.
- Recommended by Creative Pool.co.uk (UK’s largest creative recruitment resource)
- Named #8 blogger in the world under 21 in May 2008.
- Named the #12 Blog in all of Australia in June 2008.
- Listed in How Magazines Top 10 Sites For Designers for August 2008.
- Currently 4th out of 100 in the Top Young Blogger’s Making Money Online list
- Guest lecturer at Birla Institute of Technology and Science (University), India.
- Recommended by PhotoshopUserTV (mentioned at 36m 40s).
- 101 Experts Share Their Tips for Success (2013)
- Featured Designer for John Wiley & Son’s book Photoshop For Right Brainers.
- Recommended 3 times in Computer Arts Projects Magazine – Issue 122
- Recommended in Layers Magazine, Nov/Dec 2008 issue, page 14.
- Recommended in London Independent Newspaper.
- Profiled in the book ‘Who Said You Can’t Be Young & Successful‘ (2013)
- Quoted & work published in Layers Magazine, March/April issue
- Recommended in Computer Arts Projects Magazine – Issue 122
- Logo & studio details featured in the book “DG Portfolio 8”
- #1 on Newcastle Top Twitterer List – April 2009
- Interviewed & photographed for a Twitter article in ‘The Herald’ – April 25th 2009
- Tutorial written for Layers Magazine, “How To Make Your Website Pop“, May issue
- 3 page feature & interview in the “Instant Inspiration” section of Layers Magazine – May / June 2009
- Quote given for back cover of the paperback book “The Unlimited Freelancer“.
- Illustration of me featured on Behind The Websites – August 2009
- Listed in Top 100 Entrepreneurs To Follow On Twitter, July 2009
- Best of 2009 Logos on Logo Gala (Newcastle Food & Wine Logo)
- Top 10 Respected Designers To Follow On Twitter (January, 2010)
- #1 Most Influential Designer On Twitter as ranked by WeFollow (2010)
- Featured in Web Designer Magazine: Designing for iPhone & iPad – Due out April, 2010
- Interviewed for the book “What It Takes: How To Make More Money Than Your Parents” – Due out April, 2010
- Quote given for the back of Tanner Christianson’s creative inspiration book ‘Unstuck‘ to be released in April 2010.
- Interviewed for the eBook “Interviews with Popular Bloggers” (April, 2010)
- Listed on Mashable’s Top 10 Web Design Bloggers To Follow (June, 2010)
- Featured on Mashable’s ‘Logo Fundamentals‘ as a logo & branding expert. (March 2011)
- 2009/2010 Global Student Entrepreneur Awards Nomination
- Listed in Australia’s Top 25 Business Blogs
- Featured in the Sydney Morning Herald: “The Future Looks Bright” (June 2011)
- Interviewed for the book “Who said you can’t be young and successful?“
- Interviewed for the book “Raising CEO Kids“
- Contributor & 8 Page Feature in the ‘The Freelance Handbook’ by Computer Arts (April 2012).
- Featured in 2014 edition of ‘The Freelance Handbook’ with tips on client negotiation. (January 2014)
- ‘Art of Personal Branding‘ article written for the book Logo Nest Vol 2. (April 2012)
- Featured in the New York Post as the “Top graphic designer in NYC” (Generous indeed!)
- Featured in the Wall Street Journal (March 6, 2013)
- Featured in the book ‘Web Domination: 20 Masters of the Web Reveal Everything”.
- Advice featured in “The Design Student Handbook” (2014)
- Top Affiliate Marketers Reveal Their Secrets (2015)
- Nominated for the 2015 Advance Global Australian Award in the Alumni category.
- Featured in .Net Magazine (October 2015 Issue 273) on How to Design A Logo
I often lend a helping hand to those less fortunate, here is a sample of my philanthropic efforts over the past few years.
- Raised USD$3607 for the 2011 Eastern Australian Flood Victims via an online fund raiser.
- Raised USD$15,000 for the 2011 Japanese Earthquake / Tsunami victims via virtual sales on Second Life.
- Raised USD$1620 for charity in my 2010 Design Group Writing Project.
- I participate in the Design4Kids program that helps underprivileged teens in developing countries become successful designers.
- Every year I participate in the Blog Action Day initiative to raise awareness of important global issues.
Although most of my work is designed for clients, I do some personal work too, that of which has been displayed at the places below.
- Australian Center for Contemporary Art – Melbourne, Australia (25 Oct to 7th Nov 2010)
- Melbourne Museum – Melbourne, Australia (24 April to 24 May 2009)
- The Momentum Project – Newcastle, Australia (16 Nov to 11 Dec 2009)
- Newcastle Museum – Australia (May-August 2015)
To keep up to date and to be inspired by others, I attend regular design & social media based lectures and events. Below are some of the major events attended.
- OFFF Festival – Barcelona (May 2015)
- 99U Conference – New York (May 2014)
- Future Insights Live Conference – Las Vegas (April 2012)
- Brand Perfect Tour NYC – Manhattan, NYC (June 2011)
- 99% Conference – Manhattan, New York (May 2011)
- Milton Glaser, Creative Mornings – Manhattan, New York (January 2011)
- Brand New Conference – Manhattan, New York (November 2010)
- Social Media Week 2010 Official Closing (By Invite Only) – Manhattan, New York (February 2010)
- Crowdsourcing & Disruption: A Panel Discussion On The Shifting Economics of Design and Communication – Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York (March 2010)
- Digital Somethings: VIP Social Media Week Event (By Invite Only) – Manhattan, New York (February 2010)
- Creative Mornings, with Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan of ApartmentTherapy – Brooklyn, New York (March 2010)
- Navigating The Labyrinth: Unimark International & The New York Subway System – Manhattan, New York (February 2010)
- Meet The Pros 2.0: with guest speaker, Jessica Hische – Manhattan, New York (April 2010)
- Digital Dumbo #13, #14, #15 – Brooklyn, New York (2010)
- MoMoBK Inaugural Event: NY Apps, So Hot Right Now – Brooklyn, New York (January 2010)
- Top Secret Digital Dumbo #12 – Brooklyn, New York (January 2010)
- agIdeas 2009 – Melbourne, Australia
- Semi Permanent 2009 – Sydney, Australia
- Semi Permanent 2008 – Sydney, Australia
I’m always up for passing on my knowledge and although I do this mostly through my blogs, I have also done live lectures to students & professionals alike. Below are some recent speaking engagements that I have been involved in.
- Speaker at TEDx in Pittsburgh at Carnegie Mellon University. See the video of my talk here.
- Lecturer at the Boston University PRSSA “PR Advanced: Brand Yourself” conference Feb 27th 2010, along side representatives from Dunkin’ Donuts, JetBlue, Wholefoods, Boston Red Sox and more.
- Lecturer at NYC College of Technology “Meet The Pros 2.0” conference, March 4th 2010.
- Guest lecturer at Birla Institute of Technology and Science (University), India via WebCam. (2009)
- Want me to speak at your next event? Get in contact.
If you would like to find out more about me, here are some interviews that I have partaken in online.
- Jacob Cass on his Design Career – on Web Design Ledger
- Wildly Successful Designer Jacob Cass Shares His Insights on 1st WebDesigner
- Spotlight on Jacob Cass on Branding Magazine
- Jacob Cass Podcast with CrueCast
- Jacob Cass Interview Podcast on Dorm Room Tycoon
- [MP3] “Talk Story” – 1 Hr Radio Chat with Jacob Cass with Jeni Herberger
- Interview with Jacob Cass of JUST Creative on Elite By Design
- Interview with Jacob Cass on Web Design Dev
- Creative Blogger Interview with Alex CharChar from RetinArt.
- Interview with Jacob Cass on Graphic Design School Blog
- Jacob Cass speaks on the Future, Trends & Consumerism on LBOI
- Cute, Artistic Type: Jacob Cass on SNOBS
- Meet Jacob Cass from JUST Creative on ColorBurned
- Jacob Cass Interview: “Design really comes down to passion.” on Design Interviews
- Interview with Jacob Cass on Adubzeedo
- Graphic Design Interview with Jacob Cass on JCD
- Freelancer Focus: Jacob Cass on Graphic Design Blog
- Interview with Jacob Cass on InkBlog
- How I Raised $5000 in Sponsorship on Group Writing Projects
- Interview with Jacob Cass on Inspiredology
- How Pros Make Money Online: Jacob Cass on Income Diary
- Interview with Jacob Cass of JUST Creative on PSDFan
- Spotlight on Jacob Cass on Fearless Blogger
- Web / Graphic Designer Group Interview on Vandelay Design
I am very social on the Internet and I am a member of many online communities of which you can find some below.
- Google+ – Add me here to join discussions in live time & to follow my articles and Twitter updates.
- Twitter – Follow me here to receive many design related resources & links. By far the most active place I am on the web. Updated multiple times a day.
- Facebook – Join me here to stay connected & receive links I share. The second most active place I am on the web. Updated multiple times a day.
- JUST Creative Facebook Fanpage – Join the Fanpage to get updates via Facebook on new articles I post on JUST Creative along with other articles and posts.
- Logo Of The Day Facebook Fanpage – Join the fan club to get updates via Facebook on new logos I post on Logo Of The Day. Updated daily.
- Logo Of The Day Twitter – Join this if you prefer only to get Logo Of The Day updates, rather than all my other Twitter links. Updated daily.
- LinkedIn – Join for business networking.
- JUST Creative LinkedIn Group – Join this group to promote your own articles, ask questions and to discuss the business of design.
- Pinterest – Interesting shots of inspiration.
- StumbleUpon – Add me here to see what websites I deem worthy of a thumbs up.
- Delicious – Add me here to see links I think I’ll need to come back to later. Updated daily.
- Digg – Add me here to see what sites I Digg.
- Vimeo – Add me here to get updated whenever I make a video.
You can keep track of most of the above profiles at JacobCass.com.
2015 - Freelancing & traveling the world. Follow along at Just Globetrotting. Nominated for the 2015 Advance Global Australian Award in the Alumni category.
2014 – Continuing to work at Ammirati. Received the Young Alumni Award from The University of Newcastle, Australia.
2013 – Living life in NYC and working for clients such as Jerry Seinfeld, Nintendo, vitaminwater, and OMEGA at NYC agency, Ammirati. Got married in Sydney. Honeymooned in Hawaii. Traveled to Cancun, Dominican Republic, US Virgin Islands, St. Maarten.
2012 - Lots of websites. Traveled around Iceland, Mexico, Costa Rica & the USA. Got engaged.
2011 – Continuing to design for NYC design agencies. Spoke at TED. Work published in several more books. Traveled USA, Bahamas, Mexico.
2010 – Moved from Sydney, Australia to NYC to work for the design studio, Carrot Creative where I worked for 6 months. Lectured at various Universities and colleges across NY, USA. Work selected for numerous more books / magazines. Judged several award programs. Freelanced at NYC design agencies.
2009 – Started the website Logo Designer Blog. Got featured on the front cover of Layers Magazine. Work featured in numerous design books & magazines. Got onto front page of the Newcastle Herald Newspaper. Won several more awards. Got offered a job in NYC and took it. Graduated University with Dean’s Recommendation of Honours. Judged a number of competitions including one for Hewlett Packard. Traveled to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japan & New Zealand and road tripped across 22 states of USA.
2008 – Commenced second year of University. In June, traveled to 14 countries across Western Europe and Asia. In October went on a 4300km road trip around Australia. Won several design awards including Wolda’s ‘Best of Continent’ and ‘Best of Australia’. Raised USD$1620 for charity through this blog. Started the website Logo Of The Day in November.
2007 - Returned from Sweden, moved to Newcastle and started studying at Newcastle University. Won several Youth Design Awards. Started JUST Creative in November. Took a cruise around the Pacific Ocean and Fiji.
2006 - Lived, studied & worked in Gothenburg, Sweden for 11 months.
2005 – Received my Higher School Certificate within the top 10% of my state. My major work was redesigning my high school’s website and the final mark was in the top 1% of the State.
2004 - Studied Design & IT. Completed Design Elements Cert II. course at TAFE college.
2003 – Began studying design at high school. Got my first freelance job designing a website.
2000 - I become aware of the Internet and published my first website at age 12.
1990 - Moved to Sydney, Australia.
1987 - Born in Queensland, Australia.