Google My Business helps your advertisements show up in Google searches that are made in close proximity to your business which will help you get more traffic, leads and sales.
Let’s use Just Creative (previously Just Creative Design) as an example; if someone who lives around Newcastle (where I freelance from) searches for ‘graphic designer newcastle’ my business comes up first in the local search results of which you can see in the image above and that position is 100% free through the use Google My Business.
In the image below you can see the free local google listing again but this time you can also see my paid advertising at the top (highlighted in yellow) which I have paid for through Google Adwords. I use Google Adwords to ensure that I get clicked first no matter what.
Anyway, keep reading to find out how to get to number 1 on Google for free.
What You Need To Get Free Advertising On Google
Before you jump in and get your free advertising on Google you will need to have these things:
- An account with Google.
- The phone number(s), addresses and any other contact information you want to advertise.
- An address to verify your address (Google mails a postcard)
- Optional: A logo and/or image(s) of your business and products
How To Get Free Advertising On Google
- Go to https://www.google.com/business and click Start Now.
- Search for your business to verify that it is not already listed. If you do not find your business, continue entering your info.
- Follow the simple steps provided by Google. You will be asked to verify your business by getting a code in your mailbox.
Some business owners may be able to verify through other methods like phone call, text, email, or Google Search Console. If you see any of these options, follow the directions on the page to verify your business, and skip the instructions in this guide.
- Verify your business. You will have 30 days to verify. In the mean time, read their FAQ.
- Well there we have it, you can now get free advertising on Google. You can edit your listing by going back to the Google My Business page.
- You can add photos, additional info and even create your own business website right within Google.
- You can learn about Search Engine Optimisation here.
- You may also want to swap to Gmail for your email, here is 10 reasons why to swap to Gmail.
Well there you have it, you can now get free advertising on Google. Good luck!