Bill has put together the report by carefully analyzing over 250k logos from over the past 13 years.
Logo Design Trend Reports:
- Logo Lounge: 2016 |
2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003
- Discussion on Just Creative: 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009
Logo Trends of 2016 Summary
- Simplification overall is a key trend
- Uncomplicated san serif fonts are in and out are added details (gradients, serifs, etc)
- Geometric shapes, especially the circle are taking center stage.
- Emojis and symbols are playing an even bigger role in today’s society, and could even soon be considered a language.
- Keywords on the rise: fitness, green, health, modern, clean, sans-serif, water, mountains, locator, pin, tea, non-profit, real estate, brewery, culture, museum, birds.
- Keywords decreased: vintage, law, sports, baking, entertainment, video games, technology, food, ministry,
- New styles taking center stage: Ombre, Circles, Half & Half, Linked, Stimming, Dog Eared, Corners, Line Dash, Off Shift, Curls, Pocket Shield, Slices, Letterblock, Benders, Bars,
- Rising Trends: Spot Pics, Wide Logos, Tinker Toys, Filters, Dumbbells.
On the topic of trends, please don’t follow trends for trends sake. Know what is right for your client and design accordingly.
Stepped color increments
Unadulterated simplification in the form of a circle or a series of circles.
Half & Half
Splitting colors into two for dimensional effect.
Gives depth & perspective by intertwining elements.
A never ending continuous loop.
A container with a corner folded over or trimmed.
Right angled corners either by themselves or to frame.
Mono-lines combined with mono-lined dots or dashes to create texture and/or meaning.
Offsetting letterforms out of alignment.
Engaging curved visual shapes overlapping.
A simplified shield shape with right angled corners at the base.
Cross sectional perspective created with dimensional shapes.
Letters within a block, often with balance between positive & negative space.
Ambiguously twisted shapes.
Rhythm created with lines and/or bar shapes.
2016 Logo Trend Close Contenders
Below are some sub logo trends from 2016.
- Spot Pics – Icons or graphics inside a circle. eg. TNT
- Wide Logos – Horizontally wide logos. eg. Oculus and HP
- Tinker Toys – Wires and dot wires combined. eg. Think Geelong
- Filters – Grid of dots or symbols to create a shape. eg. FitBit
- Dumbbells – Overlapping forms to create a shape.
Learn Logo Design & Adobe Illustrator
Learn logo design & Illustrator with the Logo Design Masterclass on Udemy that I have reviewed in detail here. Get 30% off until June 5 using code ’30OFFTHISWEEK’.
Do you have any further logo design trends or inspiration to add?