While we have featured a lot of tech on our website, there has been one area where we seemed to be lacking in and that’s with laptop backpacks and bags.
Bags have become something more than what your child may carry their books in on the way to school. With more and more personal tech and things that we bring with us, all kinds of backpacks and bags have become a smarter and more commonplace way to bring your laptop with you.
What should you look for when you’re considering a laptop bag though? That’s a question we think we can answer for you.
So let’s start there shall we?
Top Laptops & Computers
- 17 Essential Tools for Designers
- Best laptops for designers
- Best chromebooks for designers
- Best computers for designers
- Best computers for video editing
- Best Macbooks for designers
- Best laptops for video editing
- Best laptops for programming & coding
- Best budget laptops for designers
More Top Gear for Designers
- Best printers for designers
- Best monitors for designers
- Best tablets for designers
- Best Huion tablets for designers
- Best mouse for designers
- Best earphones for music-lovers
- Best cameras for designers
- Best microphones for designers
- Best office chairs for designers
- Best external hard drives for designers
- Best monitor calibrators for designers
What to Consider When Buying A Laptop Bag
Before school every year, I remember going shopping with my parents for school supplies and I would get a new backpack. Now the ones that we bought back then were nothing like the ones available today and you shouldn’t buy them the same way wither.
Before buying any laptop bag, there are some things you should first:
Comfort should ideally be your main concern when you buy any type of bag for your laptop. Even though your laptop may not weigh a lot, depending on the work you do, you may have to stuff a lot of gear into your bag and the last thing you want is a bag that is uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.
Choosing a bag that distributes the weight evenly and wearing a backpack high on your back as manufacturers suggest can keep you from back pains. Many backpacks will come with padded shoulder straps for comfort and either a chest belt of waist belt that can help reduce the stress on your back if you’re carrying a heavy bag around.
A lot of bags and backpacks are made with either nylon, polyester, or a variation of those threads. While for many, these fabrics will do more than an adequate job, those who are looking for a bag that can last quite some time, should look at bags made from textiles such as Cordura, which can provide extra strength for the bag.
When it comes to adding a bit of class or luxury to a laptop backpack or bag, looking at bags that use leather not only looks great but is also strong and water-resistant. The only real downside to leather is that it will make the bag heavier. Finding a bag with an easy-to-use, high-quality zipper is important. Always choose metal zippers as plastic ones won’t last as long.
There are many bags out there that come with so many pockets that owners have no idea where they might have put that important piece of tech that they can’t even find now. Depending on the type of work you do, having a lot of pockets might not be necessary.
Before you decide on a bag, try to picture how many items that you may have to pack in the bag on an average day. That way, you can plan ahead and never run out of space, or risk damaging something by stuffing things together.
The prices for a laptop backpack or bag can run the gamut. Whether you spend $20 or $200, you need to be sure that the bag you choose has the quality that you’re looking for. Choosing a bag simply on the price alone can leave you either with a bag that may fail or a bag that becomes more of a burden than anything else.
Finding a bag that fits within your budget and provides you with the value you need is key.
The Best Laptop Backpacks and Bags in 2019
It can be tough to find a good laptop backpack or bag that can adequately fill all the needs you might have. With all of the options out there, narrowing it down to ten choices wasn’t easy but we feel that our choices for the Best Laptop Backpack and Bags in 2019 will fit all your needs.
Top 5 Backpacks
- Mancro Anti-theft Business Laptop Backpack – $32
- Briggs & Riley Kinzie Street Flapover Expandable Backpack -$206
- Everki Titan – $154
- AmazonBasics Backpack – $29
- SwissGear 1900 ScanSmart TSA Laptop Backpack – $59
Top 5 Bags
- Peak Design Everyday Messenger – $219
- Sweetbriar Classic Messenger Bag – $22
- Timbuk2 Commute Messenger Bag – $129
- STS Foreman Messenger – $169
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Colombian Leather Messenger Bag $94
Top Laptop Backpacks & Bags Compared
The Best Laptop Backpacks
The Best Backpack for Security
Material: Polyester | Size: Fits up to 15.6 inch
If keeping your tech safe is a concern for you and many of us, it should be, the Anti-theft Business Laptop Backpack from Mancro should be one that you consider. Made from durable, water-resistant polyester fabric and also comes equipped with two “S” curve padded shoulder straps for comfort.
Durable metal zippers and a combination lock keep your laptop safe and secure while a built-in USB charger can keep your phone charged while you’re on the go. The backpack has more than enough pockets for all of your gear.Learn More
- Dimension: 20x12. 2x5. 7 inch with dedicated laptop sleeve compartment holds laptops/notebook 15. 6 inch. Book bag with computer compartment protect your laptop such as Acer, HP, as US, Samsung, Dell,...
- Antitheft laptop backpack: included a theft proof combination lock & durable Mental zippers. Backpack with lock protects wallet and other items inside from thief offering a private space
- Backpack with built in USB charger port outside and built in charging cable inside, this USB backpack offers you a more convenient way to charge your phone while walking/work
- 3 main pockets & 9 inner small pockets & 2 sealed side pockets, organizational compartments for your laptop, iPad, Cell phone, binders, writing utensils pen, keys, books, clothes, bottle and more
- Made with durable water resistant polyester fabric w/ Two "s" Curve padded shoulder straps, lightweight carrying on bag offers a long-lasting usage everyday fits business, traveling, outdoor
A lifetime guarantee that comes with a stylish laptop backpack
Material: Tartex | Size: Fits up to a 15.6-inch laptop
If you’re looking for a combination of style and function, you can’t go wrong with the Kizie from Briggs & Riley. While it has a slimline design, it doesn’t compromise the padding that is used to protect your laptop. Packets that you can use for your wallet or purse are RFID shielded and leather accents help to add some style as well as sophistication to the backpack.
While it’s far from the most budget-friendly option on our list, the lifetime guarantee can make it worth the price. If you’re looking for a backpack that combines a professional style and functionality, the backpack from Briggs & Riley might be perfect for you.Learn More
- Proprietary Tartex is a unique, embossed, coated fabric that provides durability and moisture resistance
- Luxurious genuine top grain leather touch points and accents. Self repairing YKK RC zipper. Capacity is 1089 cubic inches
- Durable padded carry handle with genuine top grain leather trim for a comfortable grip and easy carrying
- Knurled hardware and zipper pulls offer an industrial feel and modern aesthetic
- Laptop compartment zipper pulls can be used with a cable lock to keep contents secure
The Best TSA-friendly laptop backpack
Material: Polyester| Size: Fits up to an 17.3 inch laptop
Being able to hold an 15.6 – 17.3″ inch laptop with ease as well as lay flat during TSA checks can make the Atlas from Everki an attractive option if you travel. The durable polyester exterior can withstand rips and scratches while a separate water-resistant cover stretches over the outside of the bag to protect from errant spills or inclement weather and can withstand rips and scratches while a separate water-resistant cover stretches over the outside of the bag to protect from errant spills or inclement weather.
Inside the main compartment, zippered mesh pockets, a soft tablet pocket, and a removable accessories pouch can hold all of your gear. With all of this storage, when you fill it up and put it on, you’ll be appreciative of the Titan’s ergonomic padded straps to provide comfort and support.Learn More
- External dimensions 13.5 x 9 x 18.9 inch, Laptop compartment 11.00 x 1.50 x 16.50 inch
- Adjustable Laptop pocket for 13-Inch to 17.3-Inch devices, bag weight 3.8 pounds
- Trolley Handle Pass-Through Strap, 5-Point balance strap system
- Felt-Lined iPad/Kindle/Tablet Pocket, Quick-Access Magazine/Newspaper Pocket
- Spacious, Well-Organized Compartments.Fits tablets up to 13 inches
The Best All-Around Laptop Backpack
Material: Canvas| Size: Fits up to a 17-inch laptop
While some may have a problem with how big Amazon is, one thing that consumers tend to agree on is the quality of the products they produce and this is no different from their Basics Laptop Backpack.
Made from lightweight canvas material, the padded back keeps you comfortable while you’re lugging your gear around. While it may not be as flashy as some of the other options on our list, the large compartments, and numerous pockets can help keep you organized without breaking your budget.Learn More
- Large multi-compartment backpack with a padded sleeve for laptops
- Holds up to 17" notebook computer
- Mesh water bottle pockets at side
- Organizational compartments for pens, keys, and cell phone
- Internal Dimensions: 12" x 4.5" x 17.5" (LxWxH); External dimensions: 15" x 7" x 19" (LxWxH)
The Best Heavy-Duty Laptop Backpack
Material: Polyester| Size: Fits up to a 17-inch laptop
Constructed from waterproof black polyester, the SwissGeat 1900 is a heavy-duty laptop backpack with a padded laptop compartment that will keep a laptop, up to 17 inches, safe and sound.
A TSA-friendly backpack, the laptop pocket can unzip fully in order to lat flat and pass through security scanners at the airport. 1900 also provides comfort with contoured shoulder straps that come with mesh fabric with adjustable side compression straps as well as Airflow ventilation technology that provides added support and comfort.Learn More
- Made with durable, weather-resistant 1200D ballistic polyester to withstand heavy use and harsh conditions
- ScanSmart lay-flat technology protects up to a 17" laptop, opens quickly at airport security, and ensures a hassle-free laptop-in-bag TSA scan
- Easy access laptop and iPad compartment separate from roomy main compartment. Front organizational pocket for all of your writing utensils, pocket notebooks, and keys. Front, large, U-zip pocket for...
- Contoured shoulder straps with mesh fabric and adjustable side compression straps. Padded back panel with Airflow ventilation technology for added support and comfort.
- Dimensions: Exterior Dimensions - 18.5 X 13.5 X 9 inches, Laptop Compartment Dimensions - 17 X 12.5 X 2.5 inches
The Best Laptop Bags
The Best Overall Messenger Laptop Bag
Material: Nylon canvas | Size: Fits up to a 15-inch laptop
At first glance, the sticker price may turn some people away but we would encourage you to take a second look at this amazing bag. The magnetic MagLatch closure is easy to open but still keeps your bag securely closed. Inside the bag, customizable flex fold dividers allow choosing how you want to store your things.
Just because the bag itself has been given a lot of attention, it doesn’t mean that the bad is uncomfortable to wear. With a super adjustable shoulder strap plus an additional hip strap to help balance heavy loads.Learn More
- Everyday Messenger Bag Padding: camera divider inserts for a mirrorless/SLR camera kit.
- Padded Laptop Sleeve fits a 13" MacBook Pro laptop; 13" screen size (2.5cm (1") x 32.5cm (13") x 23cm (9")).
- Weatherproof and DWR-coated shell protects laptops and camera equipment.
- Peak Messenger 13" Max Capacity/Volume: 6 L min to 14 L max.
- Peak Design Camera Bag Lifetime Warranty: Guaranteed.
The Best Vintage Style Laptop Bag
Material: Cotton canvas | Size: Fits up to a 15.6-inch laptop
While some people love the look and feel of the newest thing that has been released, others prefer to take it a bit old-school, with a more vintage look to their purchases and the Classic Messenger Bag from Sweetbriar fits that bill.
Made from durable cotton canvas, the classic features a roomy main compartment as well as front and side pockets that are big enough for all of your gear. A handle is located on the top of the bag for easy carrying while a zippered pouch can carry small items like your keys or cell phone. If you’re looking for a back-to-basics bag to carry your laptop in, the Sweetbriar Classic might be the right one for you.Learn More
- Roomy, Open Pockets: Features an extra large main compartment, front pockets, and side pockets big enough for all sizes of water bottles.
- Upgraded Features: Convenient handle is located top-rear for easy carrying. Interior zippered pouch can carry small items. Includes a padded, length-adjustable shoulder strap for comfort.
- Materials: Durable, 100% cotton canvas with metal accents. Front flap has a Velcro closure. Does not have padding or additional structural support.
- Style: Retro Military Pack Army Outdoor School College Basic Travel Accessories.
- Dimensions: 17.5 x 12 x 5". Weighs only 1.2 lbs. Easily fits all laptops 13", 14", and up to 15.6". Includes a 1 year Limited Warranty.
The Best Commuter Laptop Bag
Material: Polyethylene | Size: Fits up to a 17-inch laptop
If you commute to work using public transportation, then you know how much of a hassle it is lugging around a big laptop bag that not only becomes cumbersome for you to carry but also for the other commuters around you.
With the Commute Messenger Bag from Timbuk2, your everyday commute just got better. With an internal pocket that can house a laptop up to 17 inches, plus a front pocket that is perfect for your smartphone.Learn More
- Pockets: 10 interior slip, 1 interior zip, 3 exterior
- TSA compliant external laptop compartment unzips and lies flat for going through security without removing your laptop
- Separate padded tricot lined compartments for both your laptop and iPad
- Removable shoulder strap so you can wear this as a messenger or carry as a briefcase; Faux fur lined pockets keeps your phone and igadgets safe; Hallelujah!
- Luggage pass-through doubles up as a quick drop pocket for newspapers, magazines, etc.
The Best Classic-Leather Laptop Bag
Material: Leather/Nylon| Size: Fits up to a 15.6-inch laptop
Made from a combination of Leather and Nylon, the Foreman Messenger Bag from STS provides you with a classic design that comes with multiple slip pockets and buckles for all the room and security you could need to keep your things safe.
While carrying around a laptop on you should get to be a bit heavy and STS has provided a padded shoulder strap that will help ease that burden while you travel from place to place. What makes this bag stand out is the leather design that adds a bit of style at an affordable price.Learn More
- The Foreman Messenger from STS Ranchwear adds a little ruggedness to your professional lifestyle.
- Full grain leather messenger with darkened, distressed edges.
- Main compartment features a center zip divider pocket for excellent organization.
- Two slip pockets under flap for added storage.
- Back exterior zip pocket for quick storage. Top handle and an adjustable leather crossbody strap with shoulder patch for added comfort. Signature logo leather patch on flap. Leather and nylon...
The Sleekest Laptop Messenger Bag Available
Material: Leather| Size: Fits up to a 15.6-inch laptop
Made from cowhide Colombian leather, the Reaction messenger bag from Kenneth Cole is very durable and comes with a smart and sleek design that can help be the perfect addition to help you look the part at your new job. With magnetic buttons, the bag offers excellent security while the interior pocket can easily hold a 15.6-inch laptop.
A shoulder strap, as well as a carry handle, make portability a breeze. Unfortunately, the strap isn’t removable but can easily be stored inside the bad. Being made from such high-quality leather, we recommend treating the leather with protective measures to keep it from bleeding onto lighter color shirts.Learn More
- This business savvy leather messenger bag is made of a luxurious cowhide Colombian leather that is very durable and ages beautifully, creating a bag that is uniquely your own. Interior also features...
- Slim messenger bag construction with dual magnetic closures under the leather flap. Features a permanent, padded, and adjustable shoulder strap that extends 60 inches.
- Modern Mobility, Thoughtful Design: This Kenneth Cole leather business messenger is designed with innovative features, multiple interior pockets and compartments. Perfect for professionals,...
- Main compartment large enough to fit most laptop computers with up to a 15.6 inch screen.
- Overall Size: Size: 15.0" L x 11.0" H x 3.0" D. Weight: 2.2 lbs. Boasts a Manufacturers Lifetime Limited Warranty.
Best Laptop Backpacks and Bags in 2019
Picking the right backpack or bag for not only your laptop but for your other gear as well can make things a lot easier when you’re on the go. With our list of the Best Laptop Backpacks and Bags in 2019, we hope we’ve given you some good options that you will consider the next time you’re in the market for a new bag.
Do you have a favorite laptop backpack or bag that isn’t on our list? Let us know in the comments below!!