For an artist, your art studio or workspace is your safe space, and to do what you love, you must have the best art desk possible.
Unlike picking out a conventional desk, there are several criteria that you must focus on to see if the art desk best suits the medium and art process you feel comfortable with.
Although this may seem like an exaggeration at first, picking the right area to create your artwork and having the best natural light possible are two vital factors. While you have no control over natural lighting, making sure you find the most suitable art desk can enhance your art experience.
Picking a good art desk is not a challenging task to accomplish once you have all the facts. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best art desks in 2022 and explained some of the products and issues you may need to keep in mind.
Top 8 Best Art Desks in 2022
- Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table — The best art desk overall (Editor’s Choice)
- Martin Ashley Art-Hobby Table — The best art table for hobbyists
- MEEDEN Solid Wood Drafting Table — The best desk for art studios
- Studio Designs 10053 Vision Craft Station — Most stylish art desk
- ZENY Art Desk — Best multi-purpose durable artist desk
- Vintage Rustic Oak Drafting Table — Best Art Desk with a classy aesthetic
- NOVA MICRODERMABRASION Adjustable Height Drafting Desk — A good art desk for functionality and design
- Yaheetech Drafting Table for Artists — The most affordable art desk option
What is the best artist desk?
What is the best desk for an artist? Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table as our top pick overall. That said, we’ve also listed some alternatives that may be more suitable for your art needs.
Top 4 Best Selling Art Desks on Amazon
These are the four most popular art desks on Amazon right now:
How do you pick the best desk for artists?
Although it may seem challenging at first, picking the best desk comes down to what you feel is the best fit for you. To do this we recommend you look into the following criteria.
Size and Portability
The dimensions of your desk can determine your productivity and influence the overall level of comfort and utility you derive when working on it. Depending on whether you choose to work standing or seated, height can play a significant role.
Something else to keep in mind is the overall surface area, especially if you’re more inclined to do more heavy-duty or large-scale work. While portability is not crucial if you’re working with limited space, finding a lightweight desk can help you keep your workspace flexible and unrestricted.
Storage and Functionality
For many artists, storage space is not as important because they have cabinets to store their material. But if you’re working under space restrictions, having shelves and long drawers can especially come in handy when putting your brushes, pencils, and paints away.
When it comes to functionality, artist desks require the desktop to be tiltable for practicality and lighting. When working on more intricate work, having your desktop tilted is more convenient and easier to work on. As a general rule of thumb, good artist tables come with the ability to be tilted at least up to 40 degrees.
Regardless of whether you’re just starting out or you’re working with a limited amount of funds for studio furniture, budgeting, and planning for your workspace is crucial. Personally, we’d recommend you don’t overspend and instead direct your resources towards procuring the best raw material available.
Keeping this in mind, a good art desk starts at around $150 and can go up to around $500 or $600 depending on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for a more stylish long-term investment, there are some options below $900 that can suit a wide range of style preferences.
Art Process and Work Space Aesthetic
When it comes to anything related to your craft, your style determines everything. Whether it’s your style of work or just your general aesthetic, it’s best that you pick one that suits both of these as close as possible.
And so with regards to your style of work, for artists working with more messy material like oils and acrylic, we recommended you look into tables with large surfaces and neutral colors. This way, you have ample space to layout your brushes and paints so your art process is as smooth as possible. Also, you won’t feel too guilty when you end up spilling or splashing paint on the desk.
For artists working on digital platforms, we recommend having sleek and well-polished countertops.
The Best Art Desk in 2022 – 8 Top Picks
1. Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table (Editor’s Choice)
The best art desk overall
Dimensions: 23.75” D x 50” W x 29.5” H | Color: Available in various colors | Weight: 52.8 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 40 Degrees | Additional Items Included: 20.5” padded stool | Storage space: Yes | Assembly required: Yes
When it comes to an artist desk that is durable and with great functionality, the Studio Design Art & Drafting table is a great choice for artists and designers. It is made with heavy gauge steel and has ample storage space for brushes, paints, texturing, and other art materials that you work with.
This art desk with storage comes along with a 20.5-inch padded stool. This is convenient if you want to design a cohesive workspace for your artwork. Also, this artist table can be inclined up to 40 degrees, making it convenient for sketching and painting artwork.
Given its impressive build, storage space, and price point, we’ve picked this Studio Designs desk as the best Artist Desk on this list.
|➕ Durable and sturdy functional design||➖ Complex instructions|
|➕ Desktop can be tilted up to 40 degrees||➖ The drawers are made of cloth|
|➕ Comes with storage space and an artist stool|
|➕ Available in a large variety of colors|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Made with durable heavy gage steel construction that includes six floor levelers for stability
- Product dimensions – 23.75” D x 50” W x 29.5” H | Full tilt – 44.25” H | Top dimensions – 23.75” D x 36” W | Weight – 56.2 lbs.
- 20.5"H Padded Stool Included
- Additional Under Desktop Storage Shelf
- Top Angle Adjustment from Flat to 40 Degrees
The best art desk for hobbyists
Dimensions: 25″D x 5″W x 40″H | Color: Black with a wooden tabletop | Weight: 3.52 ounces | Top Angle: Up to 45 Degrees | Additional Items Included: 20.5” padded stool | Storage space: Yes | Assembly required: Yes
If you’re looking for an artist table with storage and simple assembly, the Martin Ashley Art Hobby Table is a great option. This lightweight drawing desk comes with a small bookshelf and a padded stool, making it ideal for crafts and creating artwork.
You can tilt the tabletop on this art desk to 45 degrees and adjust the height from 26 – 30.5 inches from the flat position. One drawback users reported was that the table itself is slightly shorter than the others Which makes it more suited for teenagers or kids.
This lightweight table can take less than an hour to put together and is simple to move around.
|➕ Easy-to-assemble||➖ The drawers can be annoying to use|
|➕ Lightweight||➖ Some users reported issues with the height|
|➕ Comes with a vinyl stool|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- This easy-to-assemble table is an ideal choice for artists, crafters and hobbyists when space is a consideration
- The cherry wood melamine top measures 23. 5” x 35. 5”and rests on a sturdy tubular steel white powder-coated frame
- Top easily adjusts from 0 – 45° with a simple one-hand tilt mechanism while height can incrementally be modified from 26 – 30. 5” from the flat position
- Tools can conveniently be stored in the three-drawer side unit or in the pencil trough
- Stool with padded vinyl seat included
The best desk for art studios
Dimensions: 28″D x 36″W x 38″H | Color: Solid Beech Wood | Weight: 25 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 45 Degrees | Additional Items Included: an attached scale fixture | Storage space: No
If you’re looking for the best art table for height, the MEEDEN Solid Wood Drafting Table is a great fit. This art desk comes with a height of 38 inches and is tiltable up to 45 degrees. If you’re designing your art studio and are looking for versatile table artwork and laying material while you work on your easel, this table is a great option.
Meeden designed this table to minimize lateral movement, making it steady to use when working with bulkier material. One unique feature that makes this drafting table amazing is the scale that comes attached with it.
When working on artwork, getting proportions right and having space for framing is crucial! The Meeden Solid Wood Table lets you measure your dimensions and plan your artwork so nothing is out of scale.
This art table from Meeden is in solid beech wood so you don’t feel as self-conscious with all the splashes and paint spills that can naturally occur during your art process.
|➕ Large working space||➖ A bit difficult to adjust the height|
|➕ Comes with a smooth and aesthetically pleasing desktop||➖ No storage space|
|➕ Adjustable height|
|➕ Easy to assemble|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Ample Working Surface: This drafting table has a 23½”D x 35½“W tabletop with smooth natural birch wood finish and a 25" build-in pencil ledge to for keeping your stationery in place.
- Height &Tabletop Adjustable：The table height can adjust from 29½” to 37½” high, and the tabletop can tilts from flat to 45° degree, offering a comfortable position to meet your different...
- Sturdy and Stable Construction: Handcrafted of solid pinewood and presents a sturdy, unshifting tabletop on which to work.The cross support design eliminates lateral movement, thus creating a...
- Multi-Purpose Usage：This wooden desk is ideal for artists, engineers, crafters, architects, hobbyists, used as art work table, art craft desk, study writing desk, home office desk, student desk,...
- Easy to Assemble: It comes with clear instructions, plus a free handy tool. And all the small parts are put in separate little bags, so you don't get lost. The assemble takes two people about 20...
Most stylish art desk
Dimensions: 25.75″D x 40.75″W x 30″H | Color: Black/Clear Glass and Silver/Blue Glass | Weight: 25 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 70 Degrees | Additional Items Included: 20” padded stool | Storage space: Yes
When working in an art studio, keeping your work environment flexible and open to change is a benefit when working with limited space. This Studio Designs Drawing table is one of the best lightweight options with easy portability.
Also, for designers, architects, and artists who would prefer a more stylish desk when compared to the boring and dull desks on the market, this artist desk by Studio Designs is a great choice. With tempered glass and a sleek modern design, this impressive desk is sure to add some flair to your workspace.
Also, it’s worth mentioning that this art desk comes with a table with an adjustable tilt up to 70 degrees, which is significantly more than most of the art desk options out there.
Other than this, the desk also comes with storage space to ensure convenience and has wheels to help with portability. If you’re looking for a great affordable option, that has great functionality and design, The Studio Designs desk is one of the best artist desks to pick.
|➕ Lightweight with wheels for portability around the studio||➖ The drawers can be annoying to use|
|➕ Amazing design with tempered safety glass||➖ Can be difficult to assemble due to unlabeled pieces|
|➕ Comes with a vinyl stool and storage space|
|➕ Desktop tilt can be adjusted up to 70 degrees|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Overall Dimensions:40.75"W x 25.75"D x 30" - 49"H at full tilt, Main Work Surface 35.5"W x 23.75"D
- Tempered Blue Safety Glass Top, Top Angle Adjustment from Flat to 70 Degrees
- 3 Plastic Molded Slide out Drawers for Storage (for use on left or right side)
- Heavy Gage Powder Coated Steel Construction for Durability, 23.75"W x 2"D Storage Pencil Ledge
- (4) Casters for Mobility with 2 Locking, Four Removable Side Trays for Supplies
The best multi-purpose durable art desk
Dimensions: 55″D x 23.62″W x 35.8″H | Color: Natural Wood | Weight: 60.6 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 45 Degrees | Additional Items Included: padded stool | Storage space: Yes
If you want a multi-purpose art desk with adjustable height, the ZENY Drafting Table Art Desk is a great choice. This sturdy table comes with an impressive surface area to work on and a desktop that you can tilt up to 45 degrees.
This desk is heavier than most of the art desks out there, and you should not move it around all the time. That said, its build quality is durable, making it a reliable choice for heavy workloads. With two drawers and a stool that comes with it for free, the Zeny Drafting Art Desk is the whole package.
This desk has a simple assembly and comes with pads under the table legs to ensure the safety of the flooring. While it may have a simple aesthetic, this reliable drafting table from ZENY is a great option to consider both for functionality and price.
|➕ Height and Tilt of Desktop can be adjusted making it quite versatile to use||➖ The storage space is a bit limited.|
|➕ Easy-to-assemble||➖ The drawers are made of fabric|
|➕ Study and durable build|
|➕ Comes with a vinyl stool, a pen container, and storage space|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Adjustable Drafting Table: This craft desk features adjustable height (28"-35.8" ) and angle(0-45 degrees) for precision and convenience, suitable for children and adults. Two tiers tabletop,...
- Sturdy Art Table: This drafting table for artists is constructed with high quality MDF and supported by powder coated iron legs. Comes with a drafting stool, not need to buy stool separately. This...
- Multi-purpose table: This drawing desk has Multi-function use. The main workstation can be adjusted up according to your comfort need. When you don’t need to use it, you can put the top of the...
- Protect Your Floor: The legs of the drafting desk are designed with pad for stability & floor protection. The sheet stopper on lip effective prevent sheets slipping
- Easy to Assemble: The drawing table is easy to assemble and the all required accessories are included. Overall Dimension: 55" x 23.62" x 28"-35.8", Table surface: 34" x 23.62", 2 drawers (12" x 18"...
The best art desk with a classy aesthetic
Dimensions: 36″ W x 24″ D x 36″ H | Color: Rustic Oak or Distressed Black | Weight: 56.2 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 80 Degrees | Additional Items Included: No| Storage space: No
For an artist table with a rustic aesthetic, the Vintage Rustic Oak Drafting table is the best choice. This is impressive desk is robust with adjustable height, making it a great choice for artists looking for more flexibility in their creative process.
This solid wood table comes in two different sizes and is available in rustic oak, distressed brown, or distressed black. Despite its vintage look, this table has a simple assembly. This table comes with a smooth and well-stained surface that looks great in every color scheme.
Some drawbacks with this table include difficulty when using the knobs to lock it into place and it does not have any storage space to keep your art materials. That said, if you’re looking for a more classy and rustic art table design, you should look no further than this one.
|➕ Height and Tilt of Desktop can be adjusted making it quite versatile to use||➖ No storage space|
|➕ Classy and rustic design||➖ Some users reported issues with the knobs|
|➕ Study and durable build|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Drafting Table Overall Dimension:42" W x 30" D x 36"H
- Main Work Surface: 42"W x 30"D with Built-in Pencil Groove with 24" Pencil Ledge
- Adjustable Angle Table Top from Flat to 90 Degrees
- Antique Design and Finish with Solid Hard Wood Frame for Stability
- Ready to Assemble for Easy Shipping
A good art desk for functionality and design
Dimensions: Yaheetech Drafting Table for Artists | Color: Multiple options | Weight: 50.71 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 60 Degrees | Additional Items Included: padded stool | Storage space: Yes
When it comes to a table for artwork that is reliable, functional, and comfortable to use when working long hours, The NOVA MICRODERMABRASION Drafting Desk is a suitable choice.
Although there may be other impressive desks on this list, this one comes at a good price point and has an adjustable height, which makes working on it convenient.
It is easy to assemble and also comes with pads under the table legs to ensure the flooring stays safe. This table comes with a stool that supports up to 220 pounds and two drawers that make it convenient and reliable.
As this is one of the most popular desks for overall quality, you should feel confident when buying it.
|➕ The height and Tilt of Desktop can be adjusted making it quite versatile to use||➖ Assembly may require assistance|
|➕ The great overall quality and build|
|➕ Comes with storage space and a stool which supports up to 220 lbs|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 🍃 Want to find adjustable workstation at the perfect height and angle to increase productivity as you drawing, painting or arts projects? Take a look at Nova mul-tifunctional drafting table, a...
- 🍃 Specifically designed for creative use, this table is the perfect workspace for arts and crafts projects, sketching, drawing and more. Adjustable to your needs, effortless to adjust the angle of...
- 🍃 A sturdy steel frame and MDF tabletop with durable powder coat finish ensures this drafting table withstands the rigors of daily use; Together with extra large rubber footpads not only prevent...
- 🍃 When crafting or scrap booking there are many tool and supplies that are needed. Having access to your tools quickly can be key during your project. These detachable side trays can hold a variety...
- 🍃 A pencil ledge slides up and locks into place if you'd rather keep pens, pencils, or brushes on the table top. 2 pull out Nonwoven fabric drawers to offering adequate storing space;side table on...
A solid minimalist art desk option
Dimensions: 23.75” D x 50” W x 29.5” H | Color: Black and Grey | Weight: 56.2 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 40 Degrees | Additional Items Included: padded stool | Storage space: Yes
The Yaheetech Drafting Table for Artists is worth considering for its variety and reasonable price. Although it is not as aesthetically appealing as some of the desks on this list, this sturdy and height-adjustable desk works well for minimalist designers. Although this desk does come with storage, it also is compact and easy to work with.
Other than this, the assembly process is straightforward and does not require additional assistance because of the instructional video available on the company’s website.
While there is a lack of aesthetics with choosing this desk, we recommend it for individuals who prefer compact and uncomplicated workspaces.
|➕ Easy to assemble||➖ A few screw holes may require additional drilling|
|➕ good overall quality and build|
|➕ Has good height adjustability|
|➕ Comes with a stool and storage space|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 🎨 Overall dimension: 50.5x23.6x(29.7-43.7)’’ (LxWxH); Stool size: 16.3x16.3x21’’ (LxWxH); Tabletop size: 35.4x23.6’’ (LxW); Maximum weight capacity: tabletop: 158.7lb; stool: 265lb;...
- 🎨 0-40 degrees tilting angle: The tabletop can be tilted up to 40 degrees from the horizontal and locked at 10 heights for the best view for the work in progress. The pencil ledge holds pens and...
- 🎨 Ample storage space: On the right side is an additional countertop measuring L40cm x W36cm / L15.7’’ x W14.2’’ for drafting table lamp, laptop, files, charts, etc. Three fabric drawers...
- 🎨 Sufficient workspace: The spacious tabletop measures 90cm/35.4’’ long and 60cm/23.6’’ wide, furnishing a large work surface. The pencil ledge locked by L-shaped slots can be slid off to...
- 🎨 Easy assembly: Simple assembly required. We’ve provided an illustrated manual instructions, necessary hardware and tools for your convenience. Should you have any questions, please feel free to...
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best art desk overall?
Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table is the best art desk overall due to its overall build, storage space, functionality, and design. It is one of the more popular art tables and comes at an affordable price point.
What is the best portable art desk?
Studio Designs Art Desk is lightweight and comes with wheels, making it an ideal choice for workspaces that require more flexibility.
What is the best art desk with storage space?
Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table and Studio Designs Art Desk are two options that are solid choices for drawer storage space.
What is the sleek artist desk for designers and artists?
Studio Designs 2 Piece Vision Modern Metal Drawing Table is a sleek artist desk that works well for more stylish workspaces that prefer a cleaner look.
What is the best art desk that comes along with a stool?
Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table, ZENY Drafting Table Art Desk, and Martin Ashley Art-Hobby Table are great options for studio spaces that come with a stool.
- Best Software for Digital Art
- Best Laptops for Digital Artists
- Best Cameras for Artwork
- Best Printer for Art Prints
- Best Color Palette Generators
- Best Desks for Designers
- Best Chairs for Designers
- Best Tablets for Graphic Design
Takeaways – Best Art Desk – Top 8 Picks in 2022
Finding the best art desk depends on what kind of art workspace you’re looking to create.
Although there are several viable art desks, you must make a well-informed decision that’s based on the needs and requirements of your art creation process, the space available in your workplace, and your budget.
We hope that this list helps shed some light on some of the best art desks out there. Do you agree with this list? Let us know in the comments below!