For an artist, your art studio or workspace is your safe space, and to do what you love, you must have the best art desk possible.
Unlike picking out a conventional desk, there are several criteria that you must focus on to see if the art desk best suits the medium and art process you feel comfortable with.
Although this may seem like an exaggeration at first, picking the right area to create your artwork and having the best natural light possible are two vital factors. While you have no control over natural lighting, making sure you find the most suitable art desk can enhance your art experience.
Picking a good art desk is not a challenging task to accomplish once you have all the facts. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best art desks in 2023 and explained some of the products and issues you may need to keep in mind.
Top 10 Best Art Desks in 2023
- Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table — The best art desk overall (Editor’s Choice)
- MEEDEN Solid Wood Drafting Table — The best desk for art studios
- Studio Designs 10053 Vision Craft Station — A good art desk for functionality and design
- X-cosrack Computer Art Desk — Best multi-purpose durable artist desk
- Vintage Rustic Oak Drafting Table — Best Art Desk with a classy aesthetic
- DlandHome Adjustable Rolling Art Desk — The most affordable art desk option
- SAIJI Adjustable Drawing Table — The best adjustable desk
- LiviNest Glass Drafting Table — The best glass art desk
- Studio Designs Art Desks — The best art desk for hobbyists
- Studio Designs Folding Modern Art Desk — The best value art desk
What is the Best Artist Desk?
What is the best desk for an artist? Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table as our top pick overall. That said, we’ve also listed some alternatives that may be more suitable for your art needs.
Top 4 Best-Selling Art Desks on Amazon
These are the four most popular art desks on Amazon right now:
The Best Art Desk in 2023 — 10 Top Picks
1. Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table (Editor’s Choice)
The best art desk overall
Dimensions: 23.75” D x 50” W x 29.5” H | Color: Available in various colors | Weight: 52.8 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 40 Degrees | Additional Items Included: 20.5” padded stool | Storage space: Yes | Assembly required: Yes
When it comes to an artist desk that is durable and with great functionality, the Studio Design Art & Drafting table is a great choice for artists and designers.
It is made with heavy gauge steel and has ample storage space for brushes, paints, texturing, and other art materials that you work with.
This art desk with storage comes along with a 20.5-inch padded stool. This is convenient if you want to design a cohesive workspace for your artwork. Also, this artist table can be inclined up to 40 degrees, making it convenient for sketching and painting artwork.
Given its impressive build, storage space, and price point, we’ve picked this Studio Designs desk as the best Artist Desk on this list.
|➕ Durable and sturdy functional design||➖ Complex instructions|
|➕ Desktop can be tilted up to 40 degrees||➖ The drawers are made of cloth|
|➕ Comes with storage space and an artist stool|
|➕ Available in a large variety of colors|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Made with durable heavy gage steel construction that includes six floor levelers for stability
- Product dimensions – 23.75” D x 50” W x 29.5” H | Full tilt – 44.25” H | Top dimensions – 23.75” D x 36” W | Weight – 56.2 lbs.
- 20.5"H Padded Stool Included
- Additional Under Desktop Storage Shelf
- Top Angle Adjustment from Flat to 40 Degrees
The best desk for art studios
Dimensions: 28″D x 36″W x 38″H | Color: Solid Beech Wood | Weight: 25 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 45 Degrees | Additional Items Included: an attached scale fixture | Storage space: No
If you’re looking for the best art table for height, the MEEDEN Solid Wood Drafting Table is a great fit. This art desk comes with a height of 38 inches and is tiltable up to 45 degrees. If you’re designing your art studio and are looking for versatile table artwork and laying material while you work on your easel, this table is a great option.
Meeden designed this table to minimize lateral movement, making it steady to use when working with bulkier material. One unique feature that makes this drafting table amazing is the scale that comes attached with it.
When working on artwork, getting proportions right and having space for framing is crucial! The Meeden Solid Wood Table lets you measure your dimensions and plan your artwork so nothing is out of scale.
This art table from Meeden is in solid beech wood so you don’t feel as self-conscious with all the splashes and paint spills that can naturally occur during your art process.
|➕ Large working space||➖ A bit difficult to adjust the height|
|➕ Comes with a smooth and aesthetically pleasing desktop||➖ No storage space|
|➕ Adjustable height|
|➕ Easy to assemble|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Ample Working Surface: This drafting table has a 23½”D x 35½“W tabletop with smooth natural birch wood finish and a 25" build-in pencil ledge to for keeping your stationery in place.
- Height &Tabletop Adjustable：The table height can adjust from 29½” to 37½” high, and the tabletop can tilts from flat to 45° degree, offering a comfortable position to meet your different...
- Sturdy and Stable Construction: Handcrafted of solid pinewood and presents a sturdy, unshifting tabletop on which to work.The cross support design eliminates lateral movement, thus creating a...
- Multi-Purpose Usage：This wooden desk is ideal for artists, engineers, crafters, architects, hobbyists, used as art work table, art craft desk, study writing desk, home office desk, student desk,...
- Easy to Assemble: It comes with clear instructions, plus a free handy tool. And all the small parts are put in separate little bags, so you don't get lost. The assemble takes two people about 20...
A good art desk for functionality and design
Dimensions: 25.75″D x 40.75″W x 30″H | Color: Black/Clear Glass and Silver/Blue Glass | Weight: 25 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 70 Degrees | Additional Items Included: 20” padded stool | Storage space: Yes
When working in an art studio, keeping your work environment flexible and open to change is a benefit when working with limited space. This Studio Designs Drawing table is one of the best lightweight options with easy portability.
Also, for designers, architects, and artists who would prefer a more stylish desk when compared to the boring and dull desks on the market, this artist desk by Studio Designs is a great choice. With tempered glass and a sleek modern design, this impressive desk is sure to add some flair to your workspace.
Also, it’s worth mentioning that this art desk comes with a table with an adjustable tilt up to 70 degrees, which is significantly more than most of the art desk options out there.
Other than this, the desk also comes with storage space to ensure convenience and has wheels to help with portability. If you’re looking for a great affordable option, that has great functionality and design, The Studio Designs desk is one of the best artist desks to pick.
|➕ Lightweight with wheels for portability around the studio||➖ The drawers can be annoying to use|
|➕ Amazing design with tempered safety glass||➖ Can be difficult to assemble due to unlabeled pieces|
|➕ Comes with a vinyl stool and storage space|
|➕ Desktop tilt can be adjusted up to 70 degrees|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Overall Dimensions:40.75"W x 25.75"D x 30" - 49"H at full tilt, Main Work Surface 35.5"W x 23.75"D
- Tempered Blue Safety Glass Top, Top Angle Adjustment from Flat to 70 Degrees
- 3 Plastic Molded Slide out Drawers for Storage (for use on left or right side)
- Heavy Gage Powder Coated Steel Construction for Durability, 23.75"W x 2"D Storage Pencil Ledge
- (4) Casters for Mobility with 2 Locking, Four Removable Side Trays for Supplies
The best multi-purpose durable art desk
Dimensions: 43.3″D x 21.6″W x 30.7″H | Color: Brown | Weight: 36.8 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 45 Degrees | Additional Items Included: No | Storage space: Yes
There are plenty of things we like about X-cosrack Computer Art Desk. Apart from being a reliable art desk that can adjust up to 45 degrees, it also has ample storage. Designed with 2 open bottom shelves, this one also comes with a small drawer that’s great for pens, pencils, and other art materials.
If you’re not drawing, you can easily turn it into a work-from-home desk too! Packed with a monitor riser, this X-cosrack offering definitely packs a punch for multi hyphenated creatives.
|➕ Height and Tilt of Desktop can be adjusted making it quite versatile to use||➖ The storage space is a bit limited.|
|➕ Easy-to-assemble||➖ may be too small for some|
|➕ Study and durable build|
|➕ Comes sufficient storage|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 【Home Office Desk with Tiltable Desktop】X-cosrack computer desk has an tiltable desktop, which can be adjusted from the plane to 45° and fixed in position to achieve the comfortable angle you...
- 【Multifunctional Computer Desk】Our home office desk not only can use be computer desk, study writing desk, gaming desk, PC laptop table, workstation, but also as draft drawing table,painting...
- 【Removable Monitor Stand Riser】our computer desk equipped with 4.3 inch height monitor stand riser,which can create a comfortable viewing position and a healthier sitting position, effectively...
- 【43-inch spacious workstation】size: 43.3"*21.6"*30.7"(L*W*H), Our office table comes with a drawer and 2 tier spacious side shelf for computer case and other supplies storage, the spacious desktop...
- 【WHAT YOU GET】X-cosrack classic computer desk, with durable, rust-proof, sturdy metal frame and High-grade MDF wood,Cross structure and adjustable feet design ensure the desk strong stability; no...
The best art desk with a classy aesthetic
Dimensions: 36″ W x 24″ D x 36″ H | Color: Rustic Oak | Weight: 27 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 90 Degrees | Additional Items Included: No| Storage space: No
For an artist table with a rustic aesthetic, the Vintage Rustic Oak Drafting table is the best choice. This is impressive desk is robust with adjustable height, making it a great choice for artists looking for more flexibility in their creative process.
This solid wood table comes in two different sizes and is available in rustic oak, distressed brown, or distressed black. Despite its vintage look, this table has a simple assembly. This table comes with a smooth and well-stained surface that looks great in every color scheme.
Some drawbacks with this table include difficulty when using the knobs to lock it into place and it does not have any storage space to keep your art materials. That said, if you’re looking for a more classy and rustic art table design, you should look no further than this one.
|➕ Height and Tilt of Desktop can be adjusted making it quite versatile to use||➖ No storage space|
|➕ Classy and rustic design||➖ Some users reported issues with the knobs|
|➕ Study and durable build|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Drafting Table Overall Dimension:42" W x 30" D x 36"H
- Main Work Surface: 42"W x 30"D with Built-in Pencil Groove with 24" Pencil Ledge
- Adjustable Angle Table Top from Flat to 90 Degrees
- Antique Design and Finish with Solid Hard Wood Frame for Stability
- Ready to Assemble for Easy Shipping
A solid minimalist art desk option
Dimensions: 23.6″D x 31.5″W x 45.3″H | Color: Oak | Weight: 26 lbs | Top Angle: Not specified | Additional Items Included: No | Storage space: Yes
While the DlandHome Adjustable Rolling Desk isn’t primarily an art desk, it certainly doubles as one. Mainly a manual standing desk, this one’s easy to tag around as it comes with wheels. Its white adjustable legs also make it pleasant to look at.
What we like most about this one is that you can either use this a manual art desk when sketching or use it as a standing desk when on your computer. The separate mouse section also makes it more ergonomic, helping you tilt the bottom workspace upward for easier keyboard typing. It doesn’t come with shelves and drawers, though. Still, we like how this space-saving table is as versatile as versatile can get for visual artists.
|➕ Easy to assemble||➖ Overall workspace may be too small for some|
|➕ decent overall quality and build|
|➕ Has good height adjustability|
|➕ Doubles as both art and standing desk|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 【Dimensions of Standing desk】: 31.5L * (11.8-23.6)W * 26.4-45.3H inch (80L * 30-60W * 67-115H cm), meet special needs; Table weights about 15.4 lbs (7kg); Maximum load capacity 88 lbs (80kg)
- 【Durable Material】: The panel of rolling desk is made by particle wood with high glossy finish, very smooth if there is any dust/water stains, you only need to wipe it gently; This desk frame...
- 【Adjustable & Movable & Lockable】: The height of stand up desk is adjustable, from 26.4-45.3)inch (67-115cm), to meet the different heights needs. Wheel design, moving anywhere as you wish....
- 【Humanized Details Design】: Simple and elegant appearance of the mobile desk; Fillet design is safer; Round steel tube design conform to aesthetics; Plum handle easy to adjust.
- 【Applicable to Multiple Scenes】: Using it for simple rolling computer desk, laptop computer table, studying desk, serving table or any other scenes you want for reading, writing, drawing, board...
The best adjustable desk
Dimensions:23.62 x 17.72 x 11.02 inches | Color: Gray | Weight: 9 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 36 degrees| Storage space: Yes | Assembly required: Yes
If you want a drawing table or desk with a great flexibility, a Saiji adjustable drawing table will serve your needs. The desk will allow you to adjust the height and angles along with a customized tray. This feature gives no strain to the user’s body while working. In order to adjust the height, the desk has two auto lock buttons.
The desk is extra large with a 23.6″ x 17.7″ inches. The desk supports a weight of 88 lbs. This desk is a perfect fit for multifunctional purposes such as for offices and laptop workstations. It will provide you great relaxation and productivity in your working hours. It is also a foldable table that has a storage compartment. You can use this space not only for drawing\ but for other working purposes.
|➕ Adjustable||➖ It might be expensive for some users|
|➕ Great for productivity|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- [ADJUSTABLE LAPTOP TABLE]: The adjustable angles and heights allow you to customize the tray to be ergonomically friendly, saving strain on your eyes, back and neck, Two auto-lock buttons on each side...
- [XXL EXTRA LARGE]： The 23.6" x 17.7" extra large laptop lap desk will fit all you need. keep your laptop, textbook, mouse, and smartphone all within easy reach. It's wide enough to be comfortable...
- [MULTIFUNCTION PORTABLE LAPTOP DESK]: With non-slip leather desktop, a storage drawer, a removable book stand, a moveable laptop stopper, Notebook slip,easy-glide sled legs, foldable design, and...
- [MULTIPLE USAGE BED TABLE TRAY]: This multifunctional table will be a perfect addition to your office, Ideal college dorm room essentials for girls/boys, home essentials, home office accessories for...
- [24 HOURS CUSTOMER SERVICE] - Any questions about the SAIJI laptop bed tray, please contact us via E-mail first time. We have a replacement within 12 months and professional customer service support....
The best glass art desk
Dimensions: 23.6″D x 38.5″W x 27.5″H | Color: Black | Weight: 25 pounds | Top Angle: Up to 49.5 degrees| Storage space: Yes | Assembly required: Yes
There are plenty of glass art desks online today, but this one definitely hits the spot for us in its category. On top of its generous glass workspace, the side table is a good touch. It allows you to sketch in peace and reach out to different pencils and art materials when needed.
Other than that, its two non woven drawers makes it easy for you to see which items are where too. If that isn’t enough of a storage space for you, there’s also an open shelf-like storage in between the desks legs. It’s a little more on the pricey side, when compared to its contemporaries, but it’s definitely justifiable.
|➕ Multipurpose||➖May be challenging to assemble|
|➕ Incredibly ergonomic|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE DRAFTING DESK: The top table can be adjusted 0-75 degrees along with a height of 31.5"-49.5", which makes it adapted to different work environments. With an automatic rotation...
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: The surface of drafting tables with a tilted tabletop is made of high-quality full-transparent glass, and the easel is supported by powder coated steel frame, featuring an elegant...
- EASY CLEANING & ANTI-SLIP DESIGN: No more worries about spilled paint/coffee or pen marks, the tempered glass countertop and water-resistant powder-coated metal stand can be easily cleaned with a damp...
- LARGE STORAGE SPACE: This black glass-topped drafting table desk features a host of compartments and trays underneath for holding all of your paints, pens, and other small accessories, ensuring all...
- AFTER-SALES SERVICE: LIVINEST teams offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and we are dedicated to providing the best customer service and shopping experience. LIVINEST offers 7-day no-questions-asked...
The best art desk for hobbyists
Dimensions: 23.5″D x 34″W x 37.5″H | Color: white and maple | Weight: 31 pounds | Top Angle: Up to 30 degrees| Storage space: Yes | Assembly required: Yes
The Studio Designs Art Desks is the perfect pick for hobbyists and beginners. With a maximum adjustable angle of 30 degrees, this space-saving art desk comes with removable side trays for art supplies and more. It also comes with a chair! Isn’t that great?
The attachable wheels on this contender also make it easy to move around, allowing you to get creative wherever you need to be—your bedroom, the living room, or even your kitchen! It’s not the sturdiest option from the bunch, but if you simply want to explore how creating on art desks feel like, jumpstarting with this option should suffice!
|➕ Space saving||➖May be challenging to assemble|
|➕ Comes with removable trays and a stool|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Adjustable angle work surface: 31.5in wide x 23.5in deep
- Top angle adjustment from flat to 30 degrees, 24 inch pencil ledge
- Two removable side trays for supplies, Powder coated steel frame for durability
- Four casters for mobility with two locking for stability
- 21 inch tall padded stool included
The best value art desk
Dimensions: 23.75″D x 40.75″W x 44.25″H | Color: black and white | Weight: 33 lbs | Top Angle: Up to 35 Degrees | Additional Items Included: No| Storage space: Yes
What we like about the Studio Designs Folding Modern Art Desk is that it’s incredibly easy to assemble. Because you simply need to fold it when not in use, it’s also easy to store in tight spaces. It tilts up to a decent 35 degrees tops, and while that isn’t the most impressive for a few artists, it’s still generally ergonomic.
We like that it’s arguably sturdy, too! There are also small side trays on both sides to help keep your art materials organized. Considering it’s price point, we think this one’s really functional and reliable!
|➕ Foldable||➖ tilts upwards only up to 35 degrees|
|➕ Great price point|
|➕ Has trays on both sides|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Futura Craft Station - Main Work Surface 35.25"W x 23.75"D, Overall Dimensions: 40.75"W x 23.75"D x 30.5"H,work desk large enough for all your art & craft needs
- Heavy Gauge Steel Construction for Durability, (4) Floor Levelers for Stability
- No Tools Required for Assembly, Assembles in 5 Minutes or Less
- Adjustable Desk - 6 Angle Adjustment from Flat Up to 35 Degrees, can be used as a drafting table, computer table, writing table, home hobby table or art & craft desk
- Modern Desk - Four Removable Side Trays for Supplies, handy desk storage
How do You Pick the Best Desk for Artists?
Although it may seem challenging at first, picking the best desk comes down to what you feel is the best fit for you. To do this we recommend you look into the following criteria.
Size and Portability
The dimensions of your desk can determine your productivity and influence the overall level of comfort and utility you derive when working on it. Depending on whether you choose to work standing or seated, height can play a significant role.
Something else to keep in mind is the overall surface area, especially if you’re more inclined to do more heavy-duty or large-scale work. While portability is not crucial if you’re working with limited space, finding a lightweight desk can help you keep your workspace flexible and unrestricted.
Storage and Functionality
For many artists, storage space is not as important because they have cabinets to store their material. But if you’re working under space restrictions, having shelves and long drawers can especially come in handy when putting your brushes, pencils, and paints away.
When it comes to functionality, artist desks require the desktop to be tiltable for practicality and lighting. When working on more intricate work, having your desktop tilted is more convenient and easier to work on. As a general rule of thumb, good artist tables come with the ability to be tilted at least up to 40 degrees.
Regardless of whether you’re just starting out or you’re working with a limited amount of funds for studio furniture, budgeting, and planning for your workspace is crucial. Personally, we’d recommend you don’t overspend and instead direct your resources towards procuring the best raw material available.
Keeping this in mind, a good art desk starts at around $150 and can go up to around $500 or $600 depending on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for a more stylish long-term investment, there are some options below $900 that can suit a wide range of style preferences.
Art Process and Work Space Aesthetic
When it comes to anything related to your craft, your style determines everything. Whether it’s your style of work or just your general aesthetic, it’s best that you pick one that suits both of these as close as possible.
And so with regards to your style of work, for artists working with more messy material like oils and acrylic, we recommended you look into tables with large surfaces and neutral colors. This way, you have ample space to layout your brushes and paints so your art process is as smooth as possible. Also, you won’t feel too guilty when you end up spilling or splashing paint on the desk.
For artists working on digital platforms, we recommend having sleek and well-polished countertops.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best art desk overall?
Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table is the best art desk overall due to its overall build, storage space, functionality, and design. It is one of the more popular art tables and comes at an affordable price point.
What is the best portable art desk?
Studio Designs Art Desk is lightweight and comes with wheels, making it an ideal choice for workspaces that require more flexibility.
What is the best art desk with storage space?
Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table and Studio Designs Art Desk are two options that are solid choices for drawer storage space.
What is the sleek artist desk for designers and artists?
Studio Designs 2 Piece Vision Modern Metal Drawing Table is a sleek artist desk that works well for more stylish workspaces that prefer a cleaner look.
What is the best art desk that comes along with a stool?
Studio Designs Art & Drafting Table, ZENY Drafting Table Art Desk, and Martin Ashley Art-Hobby Table are great options for studio spaces that come with a stool.
Takeaways – Best Art Desk — Top 10 Picks in 2023
Finding the best art desk depends on what kind of art workspace you’re looking to create.
Although there are several viable art desks, you must make a well-informed decision that’s based on the needs and requirements of your art creation process, the space available in your workplace, and your budget.
We hope that this list helps shed some light on some of the best art desks out there. Do you agree with this list? Let us know in the comments below!