Remember the days when you had to carry your camera with a strap around your neck? It seems like 100 years ago, doesn’t it?
These days, the best cameras can be found right on your phone but the best camera phones can be tough to find.
Thankfully, we’ve got you covered.
So if you’re ready, let’s jump right in and find you a great camera phone for 2022.
10+ Best Camera Phones in 2022
- Google Pixel 6 Pro — The best camera phone overall in 2022 (Editor’s Choice)
- Nokia 5.3 — The best budget camera phone
- Google Pixel 5a 5G — The best value camera phone
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra — The best versatile camera phone
- iPhone 13 Pro / Pro Max — The best Apple camera phone
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra — The best all-in-one camera phone
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro — The best affordable Apple camera phone
- Oppo Find X3 Pro — The best camera for microscopic photography
- OnePlus 9 Pro — The best premium-build camera phone
- Huawei Mate 40 Pro — The best experience camera phone
Are these camera phones out of your budget? Check out our feature on the best budget camera phones.
What is the best camera phone overall in 2022?
The number of phones out there these days is mind-boggling. With all of the different options and features, they can come with, choosing the best one can be a struggle. However, we love making things easier and to us, the best camera phone in 2022 is the Pixel 6 Pro from Google.
Interested in some of our other top choices? Check out our comparison table below.
How to choose the right camera phone?
As we stated before, smartphones can come with a wide variety of features that can make it hard to decide which one is right for you. Luckily, we’ve built a handy guide on how you can choose the right one for your needs.
No one likes blurry photos. Autofocus helps your phone’s camera focus on your subject to provide you with beautiful and clear pictures every time. These days, it may seem obvious that the camera on a smartphone will come with autofocus but some don’t, make sure you check first.
Dual LED or Xenon flash
Out at night? Want to get a photo of you and your friends? You’re going to need a camera that has a good flash to help you capture your image. There are generally three main types of flashes that camera phones come with – Xenon, Dual LED, and Single LED. Let’s take a brief look at each option.
Xenon flashes are the brightest overall, and have the best quality images in low light situations, resulting in less blurry photos. The downside is that a Xenon flash can add more money to the cost of the phone and can add extra strain to the battery.
While a dual-LED flash is twice as bright as a standard LED flash, it can’t measure up to Xenon flashes for moving images, causing them to look blurry. The trade-off is that a dual LED is a cheaper option, great for video, and produces good low-light pictures.
While we would never recommend this to anyone who may be serious about taking quality photos with their phone, some phones still come with this option. It is a cheap option but the results are far from what someone might hope for.
Image stabilization options
If there is a top 10 list of the things you need your camera phone to have, number two would easily be image stabilization. As essential as autofocus, image stabilization is another tool to help keep your favorite photos from looking blurry.
While it can’t prevent blurry photos completely, it can help reduce the amount of blur and help you take quality pictures every time. Make sure your camera phone comes with this important feature.
Megapixels have become the diva of camera phones. While they are important, people tend to put too much focus on them. While from the outset, you would think that 8 megapixels would be better than 3 megapixels and you’d be right, except in one way.
If the quality of the 8-megapixel camera is poor, you’re better off with a good quality 3-megapixel camera phone. You should look for 5 megapixels as a baseline for good-quality pictures.
While the number of megapixels has become much larger, the overall quality of the camera phone will determine how well the pictures you take will appear.
10+ Best Camera Phones in 2022
1. Google Pixel 6 Pro (Editor’s Choice)
The best camera phone overall in 2022
Steadily, Google has been releasing phones that have delivered excellent photographic results on each of its phones. With the Pixel 6 Pro, they have again raised the bar. With huge upgrades to both the hardware and software when compared to the Pixel 5, the Pixel 6 Pro puts it in the rearview.
A 50MP main camera is joined by a 12MP ultrawide camera that comes with a 114-degree field of view and a 48MP telephoto lens but the biggest upgrade has nothing to do with its lenses. The software comes with features including a Magic Eraser to remove unwanted parts of your photo, Motion mode for long exposure shots, and Real Tone for accurate skin tones. Is it the best phone? No. It is the best camera phone out there right now.
|➕ Useful software tools||➖ Storage isn’t expandable|
|➕ Best-in-class camera hardware||➖ Battery life could be better|
- Unlocked Android cell phone gives you the flexibility to change carriers and choose your own data plan; the new, redesigned Pixel 6 Pro is the smartest and fastest Pixel yet
- The powerful Google Tensor processor is the first processor designed by Google and made for Pixel; takes performance to a whole new level
- Advanced camera system with wide and ultrawide lenses, 4x optical zoom, and a main sensor that captures 150% more light
- Pixel’s Magic Eraser, Motion Mode, and Portrait Mode professional tools keep your photos sharp, accurate, and focused; Face Unblur can deblur a face to make it sharper
- Pixel’s fast charging all day battery adapts to you and saves power for apps you use the most [6,7]
2. Nokia 5.3
The best budget camera phone
When compared to other phones on this list, the Nokia 5.3 doesn’t stack up against the competition. However, with a strong main camera and an incredibly affordable price, it stands out amongst the crowd. Packaged with a quad-lens setup that includes a 13MP main, 5MP ultrawide lens, a 2MP depth lens, and a 2MP macro lens, the Nokia 5.3 is a versatile and functional camera phone.
Not everyone is looking to set the world on fire with the specs that come with their camera phone. However, while it has its shortcomings, the Nokia 5.3 is a great phone for anyone looking for a good quality camera attached to a very budget-friendly phone.
|➕ Great battery life||➖ Camera could be better|
|➕ Large screen||➖ Screen could be brighter|
- Go big with the Nokia 5.3 smartphone's epic-sized 6. 55-inch HD+ display and incredible quad rear camera that captures stunning pictures even in low light, helps you select your best shot, and creates...
- Capture great detail with the quad camera's 13 MP main lens, get everything in the frame with the ultra-wide, 118-degree 5 MP lens, focus in on the tiniest details with the 2 MP macro lens, and create...
- Stay in the game for longer thanks to the dynamic Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 processor's silky smooth graphics and AI-assisted Adaptive Battery that saves energy for the apps you use the most and stays...
- The Nokia 5.3 and Google Assistant utilize AI-powered machine learning to learn and adapt to you with every use, and the dedicated Google Assistant button makes it easy to ask questions, update...
- Loaded with Android 10 (and ready for Android 11), it also features 64 GB internal storage, MicroSD card support up to 512 GB, and WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity. It comes with a charger, Micro...
The best value camera phone
Starting with the Pixel 3a, Google’s mid-range line of phones has become some of the company’s best sellers and that’s because of the immense value that they provide users. While the main camera still retains the same 12.2MP camera that each A-series Pixel phone has had, the new software features make this a great value year after year.
Along with its main camera, the 5a includes a secondary 16MP ultrawide lens with a fixed focus which may keep details from being as fine as with the main camera. One big benefit is the support for low-light photography that includes features such as Night Sight and Astrophotography. While it’s only available in the US and Japan, if you can obtain one, the Pixel 5a 5G will provide immense value.
|➕ Excellent performance||➖ Dull design|
|➕ IP67 water and dust resistance||➖ Display isn’t high-refresh|
- 6.34", OLED, HDR, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio, Android 11, upgradable to Android 12, 4680mAh Battery
- 128GB ROM, 6GB RAM, Qualcomm SM7250 Snapdragon 765G 5G (7 nm), Octa-core, Adreno 620
- Rear Camera: 12.2 MP, f/1.7 + 16 MP, f/2.2, Front Camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, Bluetooth 5.0
- 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900, CDMA 800/1900, 3G: HSDPA 850/900/1700(AWS)/1900/2100, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, 4G LTE: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/38/39/40/41/42/46/48/66/71, 5G:...
- US model, the warranty, if any, will be honored by the manufacturer. Compatible with Most GSM + CDMA Carriers like T-Mobile, AT&T, MetroPCS, etc. Will Also work with CDMA Carriers Such as Verizon,...
The best versatile camera phone
With a seemingly ever-growing array of lenses, the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra builds on the immense success of the Galaxy S21 Ultra. Upgrades include two 10MP telephoto lenses, a 12MP ultrawide, and of course, the 108MP main wide camera.
With the four-rear camera and the great front camera that captures in high-res, the S22 Ultra tops the list when it comes to versatility. It’s not just the amazing lenses that do their thing, the software that Samsung has loaded in helps out immensely to improve optical image stabilization, digital image stabilization, and image processing. Throw in an S Pen stylus and you’re got a great camera phone.
|➕ Great S Pen stylus||➖ Crazy expensive|
|➕ Beautiful screen||➖ Design can be slick to hold|
- 8K SUPER STEADY VIDEO: Shoot videos that rival how epic your life is with stunning 8K recording, the highest recording resolution available on a smartphone; Video captured is effortlessly smooth,...
- NIGHTOGRAPHY plus PORTAIT MODE: Capture the night with crystal clear, bright pics and videos, no matter the lighting with Night Mode; Portrait Mode auto-detects and adjusts to what you want front and...
- 108MP PHOTO RESOLUTION plus BRIGHT DISPLAY: Capture premium detail with 108MP resolution— the highest available on a cell phone; Your favorite content will look even more epic on our brightest...
- ADAPTIVE COLOR CONTRAST: Streaming on the go, working from your patio or binge-watching late into the night. The Galaxy S22 Ultra adaptive screen automatically optimizes color and brightness, outdoors...
- LONG LASTING BATTERY plus FAST CHARGING: Power every scroll, click, tap and stream all day long and then some with an intelligent, long-lasting battery; Dive back into action at a moment’s notice...
The best Apple camera phone
Every year, Apple comes out with a brand new edition of the iPhone and the iPhone 13 Pro / Pro Max is the newest despite their expensive price, they are stunning camera phones. Each version sports a 12MP main camera, a 12MP ultrawide, and a 12MP telephoto with a 3x optical zoom. While they both come with the same cameras, the iPhone 13 Pro Max has a slightly larger screen.
Built with Apple’s smart AI optimization along with their Deep Fusion tech, you can edit and adjust your photos to make each one look exactly the way you want. With new features such as Photographic Styles and Cinematic mode, as well as an improved Portrait mode, the Apple iPhone 13 Pro / Pro Max are incredible camera phones, if you can afford them.
|➕ Incredible processing power||➖ Expensive|
|➕ New macro photo mode||➖ Not many changes from the prior series|
- 6.7" Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion. 5G Superfast downloads, high?quality streaming
- Cinematic mode in 1080p at 30 fps. Dolby Vision HDR video recording up to 4K at 60 fps. 6X Optical zoom range
- A15 Bionic chip. New 6-core CPU with 2 performance and 4 efficiency cores. New 5-core GPU. New 16-core Neural Engine
- Up to 28 hours video playback. Face ID. Ceramic Shield front. Surgical-grade stainless steel
- Water resistant to a depth of 6 meters for up to 30 minutes. Compatible with MagSafe accessories and wireless chargers
The best all-in-one camera phone
While it’s not the newest option on our list, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra is no slouch. While it has the same camera hardware as Samsung’s newest release, the S21 Ultra is missing some of the upgrades Samsung provided to their newest phone. This doesn’t mean that the S21 Ultra is inferior in any way.
While it does have issues such as battery drain and autofocus, the S21 Ultra is still an incredible phone that you can get at a cheaper price being a year old. To us, the major downside is that while it supports the S Pen stylus, unlike the S22 Ultra, it doesn’t come with one.
|➕ Wacom pen tech||➖ Maybe too big for smaller hands|
|➕ Incredible camera zoom||➖ Not budget-friendly|
- PRO-GRADE CAMERA: Zoom in close with 100X Space Zoom, and take photos and videos like a pro with our easy-to-use, multi-lens camera.
- SHARP 8K VIDEO: Capture your life’s best moments in head-turning, super-smooth, cinema quality 8K Video.
- MULTIPLE WAYS TO RECORD: Create share-ready videos and GIFs with multi-cam recording and automatic, professional-style effects.
- HIGHER RESOLUTION, 100X ZOOM: Get amazing clarity with a dual lens combo of 3X and 10X optical zoom and revolutionary 100X Space Zoom.
- ALL DAY INTELLIGENT BATTERY: Intuitively manages your cellphone’s usage, so you can go all day without charging.
The best affordable Apple camera phone
Featuring the same 12MP main, ultrawide, and telephoto lens with a 2.5x optical zoom as Apple’s newest iPhone, the iPhone 12 Pro isn’t something you should dismiss, especially if you’re looking for one of the best camera phones without the extreme price point.
Packed with a larger sensor than others to help capture great low-light images and the LiDAR scanner helps improve the built-in Night Mode portraits by improving low light depth sensing. In the iPhone Pro 12, Apple has also added HDR3 allowing you to combine multiple exposures for the best image possible. While all of the attention is on Apple’s newest iPhone, you can still get one of their best releases, the iPhone 12 Pro at a much better price.
|➕ Powerful camera||➖ Affordable, but still expensive|
|➕ Great-looking color options||➖ Battery life could be better|
- OFFER INCLUDES: An Apple iPhone and a wireless plan with unlimited data/talk/text
- WIRELESS PLAN: Unlimited talk, text, and data with mobile hotspot, nationwide coverage, and international reach. No long-term contract required.
- PROGRAM DETAILS: When you add this offer to cart, it will reflect 3 items: the iPhone, SIM kit, and carrier subscription
- Ceramic Shield, tougher than any smartphone glass
- A14 Bionic chip, the fastest chip ever in a smartphone
The best camera for microscopic photography
If you’ve noticed something in any of the choices on our list, the lenses generally tend to be used in the same way. This is what sets the Find X3 Pro from Oppo apart. While it still has the standard lenses, the inclusion of a 3MP Microlens camera gives it a unique option. The microlens is the equivalent of having a microscope lens, able to pick up more details than a standard lens or even the human eye can discern.
Built with a 50MP sensor from Sony puts the wide and ultrawide cameras right up there with some of the best camera phones out there. Because of the quality of the sensors, the camera can maintain a high level of detail and color accuracy. The only real downside is the zoom camera which is lacking at 2x optical zoom. With a sleek design, Snapdragon 888 CPU, 256GB of storage, and 12GB of RAM, the X3 Pro is a great, unique camera phone for anyone.
|➕ Beautiful design||➖ Zoom could be better|
|➕ MIcrolens camera is unique||➖ Not cheap|
- 4G: TD-LTE bands 34/38/39/40/41(194Mhz: 2496MHz—2690MHz)/42 4G: LTE FDD bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/32/66 4G+: TD-LTE: B38C/B39C/B40C/B41C/B42C/B40D/B41D/etc. 4G+: LTE FDD:...
- DUAL NANO SIM + ESIM, 12GB RAM, 256GB STORAGE, 4500 Mah Battery
- Screen 1 Billion Colors 120 HZ. The Find X3 Pro is equipped with a 2K AMOLED display with a 6.7 "120Hz refresh rate and 1 Billion colors, 1440 x 3216 pixels hidden in-screen finger unlock and 5th...
- The best performance. The Find X3 Pro is equipped with Qualcomm Snapdragon 888, Octa-core Processor, Compatible with NSA5G. SuperVooc 2.0 + AirVooC 30W.
- Quadruple Camera 50MP + 50MP + 13MP + 3MP,
The best premium-build camera phone
Another camera phone featuring a Sony sensor, the OnePlus 9 Pro features a 48MP main camera that with its newest iteration, has been tuned to provide even better photo results than the last OnePlus release. Equipped with a special sensor, the 9 Pro can capture super-high framerate 4K footage at a stunning 120fps, something many professional-grade cameras arent capable of.
The tech inside the phone isn’t lacking either. With a Snapdragon 888 CPU with 8GB of RAM, plus a beautiful Dynamic AMOLED screen with a 120Hz refresh rate. Charging is impressive too with the 9 Pro powering up in 30 minutes. Overall, the OnePlus 9 Pro is an excellent camera phone that deserves a lot more attention than it currently receives.
|➕ Crisp photos||➖ Good battery life|
|➕ High-quality cameras||➖ Zoom could be better|
- Hasselblad Camera for Mobile - Take your best shot with the OnePlus 9 Pro 5G’s Quad Camera system co-developed by Hasselblad, featuring a 48MP main camera, 50MP Ultra-Wide camera, 8MP telephoto...
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 - Powered by the most powerful Snapdragon platform yet, the OnePlus 9 Pro 5G delivers fast and smooth performance across every app
- A Day’s Power in 15 Minutes - Take wired charging to the next level with Warp Charge 65T, or charge wirelessly at ridiculous speeds with Warp Charge 50 Wireless (requires optional wireless charging...
- Next-Generation Fluid Display - The 6.7” QHD+ display delivers stunning visuals at 120 Hz with next-generation LTPO technology that conserves battery. Enhance your gaming experience with HyperTouch,...
- Alexa Support - Simply by saying "Alexa", you can play music, make calls, hear the news, or check the weather wherever you are. Download the Alexa app, complete setup and just ask - and Alexa will...
The best experience camera phone
We would be remiss if we didn’t start our review without mentioning one thing right off the bat. Because of the Google trade ban in the US, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro can’t access Google’s app store. This means that while Huawei is trying to catch up, the lack of certain apps could be a turn-off for many.
On the flip side of that, the Mate 40 Pro is easily one of the best camera phones available. Well-lit and dark photos look incredible with the camera’s regular and ultrawide angle lenses. On top of that, the Mate 40 Pro comes with a wide array of camera modes such as Moon Photography, Spotlight Portrait, 50x Hyperzoom, and others to provide you with one of the best cameras phones in the world.
|➕ Stunning design||➖ Apps are lacking|
|➕ Great all-around camera skills||➖ Can be expensive|
- 6.76 inches, OLED, HDR10, 90Hz, 1344 x 2772 pixels,
- 256GB Storage, 8GB RAM, NM (Nano Memory), Up to 256GB Card slot (uses shared SIM slot)
- Android 10, EMUI 11 with Huawei AppGallery (No Google Play Services), Kirin 9000 5G (5 nm), Octa-core (1x3.13 GHz Cortex-A77 & 3x2.54 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4x2.05 GHz Cortex-A55), Mali-G78 MP24
- For USA Buyers : This Smartphone is compatible/will work with any GSM Networks such as AT&T, T-Mobile. For exact 2G GSM, 3G, 4G/LTE & 5G compatibility, please check with your network provider in...
- Best webcams
- Best ring lights
- Best microphones
- Best video cameras
- Best YouTube cameras
- Best camera tripods
- Best cameras for Beginners
- Best 4K video cameras
- Best video cameras
10+ Best Camera Phones in 2022
Camera phones can be great at capturing all of those great moments that you make with family and friends. Choosing the best camera phone to capture those moments can be a tough process. Hopefully, we’ve presented you with plenty of options to choose from so that every photo looks spectacular.