When the first Model T rolled off Henry Ford’s assembly line in 1908, it is very unlikely that he could have ever imagined how automobiles would be used today. For many people, cars have become traveling offices with everything they need in one place. One of the best pieces of gear that someone like this can have is a car mount for their smartphone.
We live in a distracting world and the worst place to be distracted is when you’re driving. With the right car phone mount, you can drive and use your phone effortlessly. With this in mind, we wanted to feature the best car phone holders & mounts in 2020 that you can use on a daily basis.
Best Camera & Photography Gear
- Best phones for designers & creatives
- Best smartphone lenses
- Best camera tripods
- Best cameras for Beginners
- Best smartphone tripods
- Best phones for designers
- Best memory cards
- Best video projectors
- 17 Essential Tools for Designers
- Best chromebooks for designers
- Best laptops for designers
- Best computers for designers
More Top Gear for Designers
- Best printers for designers
- Best monitors for designers
- Best tablets for designers
- Best Huion tablets for designers
- Best mouse for designers
- Best cameras for designers
- Best microphones for designers
- Best office chairs for designers
- Best external hard drives for designers
- Best monitor calibrators for designers
- Best pens for creatives
Before we get started though, let’s find out how to pick the perfect phone mount for your car.
How to Choose The Perfect Phone Holder Mount
With so many different phones out there in a variety of sizes and shapes, you should make sure that the phone mount you’re looking to buy will even work with your phone. While mounts that have a universal fit are more and more common, there are still some car mounts that are made specifically for certain phones. Make sure to check the list of compatible phone models before you buy to save you the trouble of having to return it and trying to find another one.
Smartphone car mounts come in a wide variety of attachment styles. While there isn’t one right way to attach your phone to your vehicle, knowing the options that you have will help you choose what is right for your needs. Some popular options include:
- Dashboard Mounts – These can be easily attached to your dashboard at eye level so you can access your phone without having to take your eyes off the road and possibly causing a dangerous accident.
- Air Vent Mounts – An air vent mount attaches to your car’s air vent within your peripheral vision range so you aren’t distracted. Some larger smartphones may block the vent enough to decrease the airflow coming through the vent.
- CD Slot Mounts – While these aren’t very common any longer as CDs have stopped being a popular form of media, these use the CD slot in your car and can be a very secure option to use.
- Adhesive mounts – If all else fails when trying to attach a mount to your vehicle, you may want to consider an adhesive option. These can come with a strong adhesive attachment that can make it easy to place it wherever it works best for you.
Depending on what you’re using a smartphone mount for or if your on the road for an extended period, choosing a phone mount that can also allow you to charge your phone is a great feature to have. If this is something you’re interested in, you should look for a phone mount that has an opening so that a charging cable can attach to your phone.
Now, some smartphone car mounts can charge your phone for you as long as you have a phone that supports wireless charging. If not, make sure the mount can be placed in an area that can be accessed safely from your console.
While not something that should be a deciding factor, finding a phone mount that can be placed at different angles or one that is easily detached and reattached elsewhere if need be. Different angles allow you to adjust the angle of your screen for a clearer view of the screen which can be extremely helpful on a sunny day. Many moveable options have bases that you can pivot or have extendable arms for easy adjusting.
The Best Car Phone Holders & Mounts You Can Buy in 2020
- iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard – $24
- Beam Electronics Car Air Vent Mount Holder – $14
- WizGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Phone Holder – $11
- TechMatte Car Phone Mount – $7
- Humixx Dashboard Cellphone Car Mount Holder – $15
- IPOW Car Phone Mount Holder – $18
- IPOW Car Phone Magnetic Phone Holder – $18
The Best Car Phone Mounts Compared
The best adjustable phone mount
With its Easy One Touch mechanism, the Dashboard phone mount can secure any smartphone to either your dashboard or windshield thanks to its fully-adjustable mounting system. A telescopic arm lets you change the position of your phone effortlessly, making it easy for you to put your phone in the best position you need it to be in. The design of the iOttie phone mount is incredibly sturdy, making it a very stable option that provides excellent visibility of your phone’s screen, even on bumpy roads.Learn More
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Easy One Touch Lock/Release: Patented easy one touch mechanism allows quick 1 hand open and close operation
- Adjustable Viewing: The newly re-designed telescopic arm extends from 4 – 6.5 inch and pivots on 225 degree arc for a variety of optimal positions
- Universal Mounting: Holds all phone and case combinations from 2.3 inches to 3.5 inches
- Strong Suction: 1 time use dashboard disc and reusable suction cup combo offers superior stick strength
- Bottom Foot: Foot on the bottom of mount cradle can be adjusted side to side, up and down, or removed to hold smartphones and cases of all sizes
The best value in a phone mount
The Mount Holder from Beam Electronics is convenient to use and easy to install, attaching to the car vents in your vehicle and provides you with a secure hold but still making it easy to slide your phone in and out thanks to a quick-release button. With a rugged design that can stand up to both hot and cold conditions, it will make sure your phone is stable, making visibility easy. With its soft, padded interior, the holder cradles your phone to protect it from bumps and scratches you might put it through. The only downside is that it isn’t compatible with the Pixel 5 phone from Google.Learn More
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Quick Release Button: Press button on back of unit to slide open and then take out mobile phone. Press the arms on both side to clamp mobile phone again, simple of operation, save time and power.
- 360 Degree Rotation: The fully 360-degree rotation provide you with the best viewing angle.The holder ensures safe driving whether you are talking, navigating, listening to music or charging.
- Broad Compatibility: Passed a wide range of tests, fit for most cellphones, iPhone 7 7 Plus iPhone 6s Plus, 6s, 5s, 5c ,Samsung Galaxy S6, HTC,LG, Nexus, Nokia, GPS Device. Sturdy, cradle-less and...
- Single-handed Operation: Simple installation and removal of smart phones. Simplistic Installation, Single-handed Operation, No Tools Needed.
- This car phone mount holder is compatible with most all cell phone devices
The best magnetic car mount
A magnetic phone holder, the Universal Car Mount from WizGeat attaches to your vehicle’s air vent. The phone attaches to the mount with a powerful magnet that attaches to magnetic strips that come with the phone mount and easily attach to your phone. These can easily be placed behind the case on your phone so it doesn’t change the overall appearance of your phone. The mount also swivels back and forth allowing you to see the screen as clearly as possible. Available in a two-pack at an extremely affordable price, you can keep one for yourself and gift the other to a friend.Learn More
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 2 PACK AIR VENT MOUNT: This Air vent universal smartphone magnetic phone car mount holder, is 10 times easier to use than any other magnetic car mount holder due to its simple and complementary...
- STURDY WIXGEAR AIR VENT: This high quality rubber construction of the base of the mount is unique and very functional as well. It guarantees that the base of the mount will solidly hold the magnetic...
- SWIVELS TO YOUR DISPLAY: Rotate your smartphone and swivel your display as you please. The base of the mount remains fixed into the air vent of your car and does not move, no matter how much swiveling...
- WIXGEAR COMPLEMENTARY DESIGN: The complementary WixGear design of the magnetic mount is one that fits in to the back of any smartphone. The magnetic mount is has a smooth surface that is perfectly...
- POWERFUL MAGNETIC PHONE CAR MOUNT: The reinforced magnetic phone car holder of this mount is what sets it apart from other mounts. This Universal magnetic holder produces an intensive force of...
The best budget-friendly car mount
Using a sturdy suction cup, the Car Phone Mount from TechMatte easily attaches to your dashboard or windshield. Your smartphone attaches magnetically to the mounting pad and the adjustable angle makes it easy to view your phone, letting you keep an eye on your GPS without being distracted. With its strong mounting system that can easily withstand trips on rough terrain and an extremely affordable price, the Car Phone Mount from TechMatte is easily our best budget-friendly option.Learn More
Latest Price on Amazon:
- A universal phone car mount that magnetically secures almost any phone to a dashboard or windshield
- Base bottom easily secures to dash or windshield with suction-cup gel pad; provides strong suction and leaves no residue behind
- Powerful magnetic technology bonds phone securely for worry-free dashboard attachment
- Constructed of durable, sturdy plastic and rubber; holds device securely in place, even on rough terrain
- Compatible with almost any phone, including: iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S9,...
The best minimalist car mount
The Car Mount Holder from Humixx has such a small profile that when your phone isn’t attached to it, you might forget that it is even there. With a strong adhesive base, the mount can be attached to any flat surface. Your phone is secured with a powerful magnet, using a magnetic circle which is attached to your phone. A silicone surface on the mount protects your phone from scratches and allows for full 360-degree rotation. Attaching and removing your phone from the mount is as simple as touching the phone to the magnetic pad and removing it.Learn More
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 【8 Built-in Super Strong Magnets】: Humixx magnetic car phone mount is the most stable magnetic phone holder in the market as the built-in eight N52 magnets, which can hold phone very stable and...
- 【Compatible with All Smartphones】: Universal magnetic phone holder is compatible with all smartphones, including iPhone 11/ 11 pro/ 11 pro max/ SE/ XS Max/ XS/ X/ 8/ 8 Plus/ 7/ 7 Plus/ 6/ 6S Plus,...
- 【360 Degrees Adjustable】: 360 degrees rotation head and V shape groove makes it easy to find the best viewing angle for comfortable and safe driving.
- 【Easy to Install on Any Flat Surface】: You can install the magnetic phone holder on the any flat surface, no matter in the car or office or home. It will become the best partner and grips your...
- 【Why Choose Humixx】: Humixx magnetic car phone mount is made of high-quality aluminum alloy and smooth silicone, not only provide powerful magnetism but also has exquisite appearance and strong...
The best car phone mounts are a great combination of affordable price and accessibility. Thankfully, the Car Phone Mount Holder from Ipow is a perfect storm when it comes to these two factors. The clamp style pivot can easily let you place your phone in a vertical or horizontal position with ease as well as other variants including 180, 360, and 140 degrees. While it doesn’t provide wireless charging, which may be a small gripe for some, it does have a cutout in the base that will let you connect a charger or even headphones. With a sturdy suction cup, the mount is stable, durable, and most importantly, affordable.Learn More
When mounts for our smartphones were first released to consumers, they were primarily manufactured with a clamp design. These days, as material and convenience become necessities, a magnetic phone holder, such as the one from Ipow can be a much better option. With a powerful suction cup to keep the mount from falling, you can attach it to your dashboard, windshield, or even your desk if you want a hands free experience at the office. The 140° rotation arm lets you put the phone in the best position for your needs. With its compatibility with many of the most popular phones on the market, this is a great option for anyone.Learn More
The Best Car Phone Mounts in 2020
Choosing the right car phone mount is about more than just picking the first one you see. The wrong phone mount might not hold your phone securely enough and fall, causing you to be distracted while driving or worse, causing an accident. We hope our list of the Best Car Phone Holders in 2020 has given you some ideas of what to look for with your next phone mount.
Do you have an unbeatable car phone mount in your car? Let us know about it in the comments below