Student laptops are very much essential devices in today’s world. With more classes being offered online, it is no wonder you are searching for the best laptop for students.
With the current situation, retailers are pushing their student discounts on laptops and there is a very good possibility that you can bag a great deal.
Whether you enroll in fully remote, in-person, or partially remote classes, these student laptops will always be a perfect companion for you and your studies. Even on a personal level, you can stay in touch with your family and friends as well.
A laptop has become a prerequisite to students whether in high school or college. It is as important as carrying a textbook or a school ID and not just for taking notes and doing homework.
One of the best ways to find out which laptop your child will need for class would be to check with their teacher. You can also check with the teachers about what OS would be compatible with their workflow, etc.
Finding a new laptop that might suit your child’s demands may be challenging as well. Let us explore the criteria for deciding on the best laptops for a student.
10+ Best Laptops for Students in 2022 — Overview
- HP Chromebook x360 — Best affordable laptop for students
- HP Pavilion 14 — Best value student laptop
- Surface Laptop 4 — Fastest laptop for students
- HP-Envy-360 — Best flip model laptop for students
- Dell XPS 13(9310) — Best powerful and battery efficient-laptop
- Acer Chromebook 514 — Perfect blend of technology and design
- Google Pixelbook Go — Best lightweight laptop
- Acer Chromebook 314 — The most ultraportable laptop
- Microsoft Surface Go 3 — Best 2-in-1 laptop
What is the best laptop for a student?
HP Chromebook x360 is the best and most affordable laptop for students however check out our full list below:
Top 3 Best Laptops for Students
Student Laptop Buying Guide
Weight and Size of the Laptop
The important point you need to consider when buying a laptop for students is whether they are easy to carry from one place to another. Whether you opt for a smaller or larger one, you need to be sure of the size, performance, and power.
You may require only an easy-to-carry laptop that is light and small. If you are not a person aiming to be a computer science professional or are not involved in detailed design work, you may require only an 11-13 inches laptop under 5 pounds.
All students should consider the battery life when choosing a laptop. Most of the batteries last for 11-14 hours, but smaller computers offer a longer battery life and work more efficiently. But if you take higher-performing laptops, they use more RAM power, so they will perform less efficiently while offering shorter battery lives.
Display and Resolution
It is for you to decide whether you need a large display for your education. You might not need a large display when you use your computer; only for web browsing and word processing.
When you look into the resolution of the recent technological changes, the lower-priced laptop models also provide high-feature resolution displays. A resolution equal to 1080 pixels is enough for a student’s laptop. If you want higher resolutions, they also come with higher-priced tags.
RAM decides how many programs a computer can run at the same time. Most laptops and tablets start at 4GBs of RAM, which might be sufficient for browsing and word processing. When you upgrade to 8GBs, it will let you comfortably run several programs at the same time.
One of the most important components of a laptop is the processor. A processor handles the major processes of the laptop. For a basic level of work, you require an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor. Students who require graphic design software may want to work with a more capable processor, such as the Intel Core i7 or i9.
The Operating System requirements of a laptop can be either Windows or Mac. Both OSs offer a wide range of compatibility and functionality. Windows PCs are the most preferred as they are pocket-friendly and offer easy customization.
Macs can be quite costly and have proprietary software. For basic functionality, the Windows OS will be fine to work with. But if your college projects require the use of design software, the Mac may be an ideal option for you.
Hard Drive and Storage
The digital information created by you is stored in the computer’s hard drive. Computers with solid-state drives run 3-4 times faster and offer stability when compared to standard hard drives.
SSDs are higher in price but you will need to shell out some money when opting for a better speed and performance. If you can afford it, go with an SSD. If you decide on the regular drive, look for the higher storage device as some students may require a 250GB or more storage capacity for their usage.
Buying any sort of electronic purchase can widely differ in price and quality. Models that are economical use weak hardware that offers a lesser performance, whereas the more expensive laptops might be good enough to offer faster processors, high-end graphics cards, and larger hard drives.
Most students might require an entry-level laptop to meet their requirements. So, please be careful about the kind of laptops that are required for your purpose.
The Best Student Laptops in 2022
A cheap and affordable laptop perfect for students
Operating System: Chrome OS | Processor: 8th Generation Intel Celeron N4000 | Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620 | Display: 14″ Inches HD | Memory: 4 GB SDRAM | Storage: 64 GB eMMC
This particular laptop from HP is for people who want an inexpensive machine to browse the internet, handle email and Google docs, and do not much else. These Chromebooks can be converted to tablets as well.
This laptop comes with a silver metallic shade with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of eMMC storage. The memory for this HP is the most minimum of any laptop you can have. But it is sufficient for browser-based tasks that are almost like the bread and butter of Chrome OS.
The review unit works like a laptop, as well as a tablet, and makes use of the Intel Pentium Silver N5000. Technically, it has a budget CPU that is found mainly in low-cost laptops.
No matter the chip configuration, you will make use of Google’s Chrome OS and spend time with Gmail.
|➕ Fast to work with||➖ Display is not good|
|➕ Excellant keyboard||➖ Big to carry around|
|➕ Good looking design|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Intel(r) celeron(r) N4000, Dual-Core, 1.1 GHz Base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency
- 14.0-Inch diagonal HD SVA micro-edge WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass touchscreen (1366 x 768)
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (upgradable with 1 accessible Memory slot), Storage: 64 GB eMMC
- The performance you'll applaud. The entertainment you'll love.: versatile Chromebook packed with performance features you want and long battery life so you can play, chat and create longer. Thin and...
- Google play store: the millions of Android apps you know and love on your phone and tablet can now run on your chrome device without compromising their speed, simplicity or security
HP Chromebook x360 Review
Want to have a closer look at this laptop. Check out this HP Chromebook x360 review.
HP Pavillion. Image Credits: Amazon
A student and family laptop
Operating System: Windows 10 | Processor: AMD Ryzen 3250| Graphics: AMD Radeon | Display: 14″ touch display | Memory: 8 GB | Storage: 128 GB SSD
Today, the majority of the students would prefer the HP Pavilion 14 laptop. It is because of the strong specifications that come along with it. These specifications include the 8th generation Intel Core i5-8250U CPU, Intel UHD Graphics 620 GPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. It comes with a simple and stylish design and a sharp screen.
The build quality of the system is good as well. You also get dedicated HDMI, USB Type-C, and networking ports as well. The battery life for the laptop stays up to nearly 11 hours. It also comes with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home installed on it.
It is easily portable from one area to another. While there may be lighter laptops out there, the Pavilion 14 is very light, small, and compact and weighs around 1.46 kgs. It is the best student laptop as you can carry it with one hand and move around easily anywhere.
It has a 14 inch IPS, anti-glare, Full-HD (1920 x 1080) touchscreen display. It looks like it has a plastic covering, especially with the dull black bezels. A 720p webcam also comes along with dual-array microphones.
The image quality is not that appealing, but it is sufficient for day-to-day video calls. If you’re a YouTuber, you would probably not want to use this camera, so you could use an external camera instead.
The display also reaches a maximum brightness of 238nits. If you look at some of the cheaper laptops, they only give 200nits because this is usually where they cut down the costs. This laptop display is bright, it would be best to buy it if you are working indoors or working outside in the evening.
|➕ Speedy performance||➖ The keyboard is not backlit|
|➕ Splendid touchscreen||➖ Not great for design software like Photoshop|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 【14" HD Touchscreen Display】14" diagonal, HD (1366 x 768), touch, micro-edge, BrightView, 220 nits, 45% NTSC Display; AMD Radeon Graphics. This electronic gift, holiday gift offers a good...
- 【AMD Ryzen 3-3250U Processor】AMD Ryzen 3 3250U Processor @ 2.60GHz (2 Cores, up to 3.5GHz, 5M cache)
- 【Storage & Memory】8GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM; 128GB SATA 3 TLC M.2 SSD; HP True Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones Ideal for Home, Student, Professionals, Small...
- 【AMD Radeon Graphics】with shared video memory provide solid image quality for Internet use, movies, basic photo editing and casual gaming. HD audio with stereo speakers & HP True Vision 720p HD...
- 【Windows 10 Home included】41Whr 3-cell lithium-ion (up to 9 hours battery life). 12.76" x 8.86" x 0.71", 3.24 lbs. 2x SuperSpeed USB Type-A, 1x SuperSpeed USB Type-C, 1x Headphone/Microphone...
The fastest processing laptop
Operating System: Windows 10 Home| Processor: Quad-Core 11th Gen Intel core i5 processor | Graphics: Intel Iris Xe | Display: 13.5” inches | Memory: 8 GB RAM | Storage: 512 GB SSD
This particular laptop is from one of the kings of software, “Microsoft”. Packing improved components inside the same slim frame, Microsoft does not advertise it as anything else, but this Surface Laptop lasts a little longer and packs more power under it than its predecessors.
The Surface Laptop 4 is well equipped and has no problem with anything we throw at it. Even if you load it with dozens of browser tabs, it won’t show any signs of slowing down. You may be wondering if that is something most laptops these days can do. What about the new Surface Laptop 4?
It can do all these things with its battery power. When plugged in, Surface Laptop 4 looks like the previous models because Microsoft has not modified its core design since this version was created. There are plenty of small changes that include the processors, configuration, pricing, and software that are a great upgrade from its predecessors.
|➕ Impressive battery life||➖ No Thunderbolt support|
|➕ Amazing keyboard||➖ Only two ports|
|➕ Lightweight and stylish|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Power to do what you want with up to 70% more speed than before and an 11th Gen Intel Core processor.
- Thin, light, elegant design in choice of two sizes: light, portable 13.5” or larger 15” that’s perfect for split-screen multitasking.
- Show your best side on video calls with sharp video and image quality, even in low light, thanks to a front-facing 720p HD camera.
- Enjoy theater-like sound for movies and shows with Omnisonic Speakers backed by immersive Dolby Atmos6.
- Be heard loud and clear on calls with dual far-field Studio Mics that capture your voice and reduce background noise.
The best flip model laptop
Operating System: Windows 11 Home | Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 | Graphics: AMD Radeon | Display: 15.6” backlit touch screen | Memory: 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM | Storage: 256 GB SSD
The HP Envy x360 is odd in the laptop world. You will usually don’t see 15-inch laptops with touchscreens that flip themselves into tablet mode because laptops of this size generally include discrete graphics cards. The HP Envy x360 provides portability along with performance. It has a well-built construction, a strong performance, and a very good battery life.
The HP Envy x360 is one of the best student laptops, although it is not the best choice for everybody. There is nothing especially striking about the design, but the laptop looks decent enough. It is a great way to work, both inside and outside, at the coffee shop or on a worksite.
It is a laptop aimed at professional people. It does not take many risks when it comes to the design but is well built with your choice of aluminum alloy or and a more attractive, darker metal.
|➕ Ample port selection||➖ Battery Life is 0not impressive|
|➕ Great performance|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti-glare Micro-edge WLED-backlit Touchscreen (1920 x 1080) Display
- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 2.30GHz Hexa-Core Processor up to 4.0GHz, AMD Radeon Graphics with Shared Graphics Memory
- 8GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive allows to fast bootup and data transfer
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Combination Audio Jack, 1 x Multi-format SD Media Card Reader
- HP Wide Vision HD Camera with Integrated Dual Array Digital Microphone, HP Audio Boost 2.0 with Bang & Olufsen Dual Speakers, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, Wireless-AX and Bluetooth Combo,...
A powerful and battery-efficient laptop
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro| Processor: 11th Gen Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Intel Iris Xe Graphics | Display: 13″ diagonal FHD touch display | Memory: 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM | Storage: 512 GB SSD
Dell XPS 13 is not as great at making innovative designs as we have come to expect from a laptop, but they figured out what needed to be fixed without breaking anything else on the way.
It is a powerful and battery-efficient laptop. The chassis is made of CNC aluminum, the logo is brimming in stainless steel, the screen looks absolutely stunning, and the palm rests are based on glass fiber with a unique texture.
It is lightweight and easily portable from one place to another. The speakers are adequate, the keyboard is comfortable, and the touchpad is easy and effortless to click.
The XPS 13 will be a good choice if you need a capable, lightweight laptop and don’t need to regularly connect multiple gadgets. With that said, replacing a desktop computer with the Dell XPS 13 will leave you constantly plugging and unplugging the cables.
That is because this student laptop has only USB-C ports, which may be a problem if you have peripherals that use USB-A ports. The laptop does have a single USB-C to USB-A adapter with it though.
|➕ Significantly better performance||➖ OLED takes a hit at the battery.|
|➕ Attractive keyboard and excellent audio|
|➕ Magnificent design|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- 13.4" FHD (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
- 11th Generation, Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8 GHz)
- 16GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x Memory Onboard, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2 x 2) and Bluetooth 5.1
Perfect blend of technology and design
Operating System: Chrome OS | Processor: Intel Celeron N3450 Processor | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 500 | Display: 14” touchscreen display | Memory: 4 GB LPDDR4 | Storage: 64 GB eMMC
The Acer Chromebook 514 comes with a perfect blend of technology and design. With a wide viewing angle and a touchscreen option, it is great for students on the go, especially when watching video lectures online. The keyboard is backlit, making it easier to type even in the dark.
This laptop comes with a fast boot-up time and has malware protection in it. It has an incredible 12- hours long battery life. It is the ultimate choice for a student.
The Acer laptop aluminum cover provides you with elegance while hiding the power of the 11th Generation Intel processor. Despite the processor, the student laptop’s performance slows down due to the most undemanding use due to Google’s Chrome OS. Connectivity is solid for a Chrome Operating System laptop, with two USB-C 3.1 ports and two USB-A 3.0 ports, as well as a microSD card reader. Thunderbolt 3 does not have any support.
It sports a silver aluminum chassis with a lid that is impressively strong and opens for incredibly productive laptop use. The anti-glare metal surfaces generally keep the reflections down, but the silver color becomes quite dazzling under direct sunlight, but that is the only available color. On the whole, it is a reasonably priced laptop with many attractive features.
|➕ Ultimate touch display||➖ Speakers are weak|
|➕ Incredible battery life|
|➕ Huge touchpad|
|➕ Backlit keyboard|
|➕Attractive aluminum design for a budget laptop|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues...
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.Maximum Power Supply Wattage:45W
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- CB514-1HT-C6EV comes with Intel Celeron N3450 Quad-Core Processor (Up to 2.2GHz), 14" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 10-Finger Multi-Touch Display, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 64GB eMMC, Backlit Keyboard,...
The best lightweight laptop
Operating System: Chrome OS | Processor: 8th Gen Intel Core i5 | Graphics: Intel UHD 615 GPU | Display: 13.3″ LCD touchscreen display | Memory: 8 GB to 16 GB | Storage: 64GB or 256 GB SSD
There are two striking things about this Google Chromebook. The first is the incredibly quiet keyboard and the adaptability of typing on it. The second is the battery life that comes with and works for 12 hours a stretch.
Many other things need to be taken into account as well. The attractive and simple design, the good speakers, and a comfortable trackpad. It also comes in a lively pink color. It is easy and lightweight at around 2.3 pounds.
This particular laptop comes with a magnesium chassis. Many Chromebooks have plastic bodies, so much of what you are paying for are the material. You cannot chip or scratch it easily because it is coated with soft paint on top of its magnesium body.
The trackpad below the keyboard is large but not massive. Google has done a great job with the palm rejection also. This particular laptop does not have any kind of biometric authentication, like the fingerprint reader or the face unlock, but the developer says that you can link your Android phone and use it as your biometrics to unlock the laptop.
|➕ Attractive keyboard||➖ Quite expensive when compared to competitors.|
|➕ Good battery life||➖ No MicroSD storage expansion|
|➕ Simple and clean design|
|➕ Rare 1080p camera|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Good to Go: Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours,  so you don't need to carry a charger. And when you do need a charge, get up to 2 hours of use in just 20 minutes so you can...
- Made to move: Pixelbook Go is lightweight - barely 2 pounds. It’s 13 mm thin with a grippable design, making it easier to carry. 
- Get it done Fast: Pixelbook Go starts up in seconds, and makes working a breeze. The 8th Gen Intel Core Processor is quick and responsive, powering everything you do. And Chrome OS doesn't slow down...
- Go without worry: Pixelbook Go is designed to prevent things from getting off track. The Titan C security chip and built-in anti-virus software help protect your data. And Chrome OS updates...
- Built for comfort: A backlit keyboard and Hush Keys make using Pixelbook Go comfortable and quiet. The touchpad is spacious and accurate, so you only need to use a light touch. The fan less design...
The most ultraportable laptop
Operating System: Chrome OS | Processor: Intel Celeron N4000 | Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600 | Display: 14” LED | Memory: 4 GB | Storage: 64 GB eMMC drive
Acer Chromebook 314 is one of the most ultraportable you will find in the market. It is designed to handle all your classes and everyday projects, so you can enjoy an efficient typing experience, extended battery life, and the latest connectivity features.
It can keep up with you and your studies all day long as it helps you to work much faster with every keystroke on the keyboard by helping you make fewer mistakes.
The chassis of this laptop is well built with an attractive blue finishing that stands out from the standard silver or black models. The weight of this Acer laptop makes it easy to carry around when you are on the go.
This makes it ideal for students to pick up and pop in a bag when they need to go to their next class. Acer has also included a great selection in terms of ports. It has two speedy USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, and a micro-SD reader.
It is one of the best pocket-friendly laptops due to its affordable price, good quality build, and good battery life.
|➕ It provides great value for the money.||➖ No touch screen|
|➕ Port selection is good.||➖ The display is dull|
|➕ Good battery life.|
|➕ Low weight and slimline style|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today It comes with built-in virus protection updates automatically boots up in seconds and continues to...
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook which means you can edit download and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs Sheets and Slides
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically
- CB314-1HT-C7C0 comes with 14” HD Touch Display Intel Celeron N4000 4GB LPDDR4 Memory 64GB eMMC Google Chrome and Up to 12 5-hours Battery Life
The best 2-in-1 laptop
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Processor: 10th Gen Intel Core i3 | Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 615 | Display: 10.5” Pixel Sense Display | Memory: 8 GB | Storage: 128 GB SSD drive
Microsoft Surface 3 is one of the smallest business laptops and tablets in the market that can help you speed up your work. With touch and display pen tasks and very good battery life, you are able to work all day from anywhere you want. You can easily keep the lines of communication open with a faster processor. You can capture documents, photos, and videos in high-definition with a rear-facing 8.0 HD camera.
If your budget does not allow you to spend money on the keyboard cover this can easily be used with an optional keyboard. Although it runs the Windows 10 OS, this is a tablet designed with refined styling and high-quality construction that makes it the most inexpensive 2-in-1 tablet you can buy. If you don’t want to spend much money on a keyboard cover, it can do basic tasks without a keyboard or touchpad.
Surface Go 3 is for anybody who runs complex applications like Photoshop, and its experience is a bit lagging when compared not only with Windows laptops but also with better Chromebooks and iPads as well.
|➕ Lightweight and easy to carry.||➖ Disappointing computing performance even with i3.|
|➕ Sunny display with lot||➖ Only one USB-C port.|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- The most portable Surface touchscreen 2-in-1. Perfect for your everyday tasks, homework, and play.
- Go-anywhere tablet with laptop productivity for the whole family. Starting at just 1.2 pounds,(4) with high-res 10.5” 220ppi touchscreen, adjustable Kickstand, Surface Pen*, and Type Cover*.
- All-day battery life. Get up to 11 hours (1) of on-the-go power, plus Fast Charging to take you from low to full when you do need to plug in.
- The new, more intuitive Windows. Work, play, and create in the way most natural to you with Windows 11.
- Plug in the accessories you use today with included USB-C port, headphone jack, Bluetooth 5.0, and MicroSDXC Card Reader.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you mean by a flip laptop?
A laptop that can be used as a tablet, as well as a laptop, is called a flip laptop.
Is HP Pavillion 14 good for students?
Yes, it is the best for students as it is light to carry around.
Does Surface Go 3 have a USB port?
Yes. Surface Go 3 comes with a USB-A 3.1 as a standard port. The port supports super-speed data transfers.
Does Google Pixelbook Go flip?
The hinges of pixelbook Go make it easier to transform the device from a laptop into a tablet.
What is the difference between Chromebook and a Laptop?
The main difference between the both is the Operating System on which they perform. While laptops run on the Windows OS, Chromebooks run on the web-based Chrome OS.
When buying a student’s laptop, you want a device that is fast and reliable, as well as affordable.
Students rely on their laptops for knowledge and skill and need a laptop that is of great quality and provides good customer support, so they can handle issues when something goes wrong.
We have given you some of the best affordable laptops found in the market. Based on your affordability and requirements, any of them would be a great choice.