Are you a creative arts person? If so, you know why selecting a fitting kit of paint brushes for oils and other creative work that meets your needs is essential.
However, you must take many factors into consideration while shopping for art items because it is a personal choice and a technical one. With so many options available in the market, it creates confusion about which one is the best, so this article has you covered.
The most important factor to remember while choosing a paintbrush is to make sure it has enough spring to respond well to your hand when you must make strokes. A brush quality should keep its shape after doing work and not spread too much.
Let’s dive into our compilation of the best paintbrushes for oils.
7+ Best Paintbrushes for Oils in 2022
- Winsor & Newton Winton Long Handle Brush — Best Paint Brushes for Oils Overall (Editor’s Choice)
- Da Vinci College Synthetic Brushes — Best Value Paint Brushes for Oil
- LorDac Arts Paint Brush — Best Budget-Friendly Oil Paint Brushes
- Princeton Aspen 6500 5pc Professional Paint Brushes — Best Durable Oil Paint Brushes
- Princeton Catalyst, Series 6400 — Best Oil Paint Brushes for Thick Paints
- Escoda Grafilo Series — Best Oil Paint Brushes for Fine Precision works
- Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes — Best Oil Paint Brushes with Different Sizes and Shapes
What are the best paintbrushes for oils?
The Winsor & Newton Winton Long Handle Brush is the best paintbrush for oils. As this brush has all qualities that an artist would need to produce art and meet the requirements. For more options have a look at the comparison table below.
Find more if interested, 8 Best Art Easels for Paintings and Artwork, 13 Best Art Projectors for Tracing, Drawing & Painting, and 7 Best Printers for Art Prints.
The two distinct types of brush are Bristle and Sable.
Bristle Paint Brushes
The stiffer hog’s hair brushes are bristle brushes and seize more paint, but are not ideal if you are working with thick or accentuating brushstrokes.
Sable Paint Brushes
These brushes are soft and are made from actual weasel hair, rabbit, squirrel, or synthetic fiber. These brushes are perfect for finer, smoother blending, and clean detailing.
When we think of oil paint brushes, what comes to mind are bristle brushes and for watercolors sable brushes. However, sable paint brushes work great for oil painting as well.
Paint Brushes shapes
This type of brush has a fan-shaped arrangement of bristles and are meant for blending and subtle textures. This is especially very useful for thin paints and is not meant for thick ones, yet they are finely spread.
These are ideal for oil paints because the strokes drawn do not vary. These are also said to be less versatile because of this reason. Choosing smaller rounds will be a great option for detailing.
Among these rounded ones, the heavily rounded ones or round sable brushes are unmanageable for oil paintings. Choosing soft or large round bristles works well with oil paints.
These brushes create a softer edge for blending works. Choosing the one with large coverage, control, and blend-ability works well with oil paints.
These rectangular brushes are long and flat. These flat brushes cover more area per load while the long brush hairs carry more paint. They are ideal to create smooth edges and sweeping strokes and edges but can also draw relatively thin lines.
They come in measurements of by ¼” or ½” rather than saying brush sizes.
These brushes look flat but the bristles are smaller. They are helpful to have more control over long flat brushes. They are ideal for texture may it be for painting trees, fabric, or anything else.
Top 7 Oil Paint Brushes in 2022
1. Winsor & Newton Winton Long Handle Brush (Editor’s Choice)
Best Oil Paintbrushes
If you are looking for a solid set of oil brushes, the Winsor & Newton Winton Long Handle Brush collection is ideal because it is easy to use. The collection of sizes and shapes includes heftier round brushes.
They do not hold the tightest shape but tend to have control over splaying or overflowing of paint. They are ideal for creating textures and strokes.
Sometimes they do drop down bristles, however not after using them several times. Despite this disadvantage, it is the best overall brush set for painting because they come from natural animal bristle brushes for oil painting use.
|➕The shape of the brushes have a good grip to hold.||➖May leave a few bristles after repeated use.|
|➕Medium-sized and shaped brushes.|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Made From Quality Hog Bristles, Hand-Set Into Corrosion-Resistant Ferrules
- The Natural Curve Of The Hog Bristle Produces A Resilient Brush Which Retains Its Shape Even After Heavy Use
- Allows The Artist More Control And Accuracy, Whether Painting With Oil, Alkyds Or Acrylics
- Country Of Origin : United Kingdom
Best Valued Paint Brushes
Da Vinci College Synthetic Brushes is a quality synthetic paint brush set that gives a softer feel than hog hair brushes and has handles suitable for working with oil paints.
These synthetic paints lay down smoothly and give a slick feel. They do not hold much paint to give the paint a natural feel like hogs or sable brushes. They also give an expensive synthetic brush feel.
These brushes do not shed their hair and they hold shape very well even after heavy use and clean.
|➕They are soft and flexible brushes.||➖Do not give crisp shapes.|
|➕They do not shed their hair.|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Da vinci's most economical synthetic brush for acrylics and oils
- Features a strong synthetic fiber that is easy to clean, with our new "non slip" hankdle
- Certified green manufacturing with sustainable wood handles
- Nickel plated brass ferrules are the best money can buy Brush will retain its shape
- Handmade in germany at our family owned factory since 1890
Best Budget-Friendly Oil Paint Brushes
If you are looking for a smaller scale and brushes for beginners, then LorDac Arts Paint Brush is for you. This set is perfect for beginners and helps you have details in the works. This brush comes with a 12 oil paint brush set that is an ideal choice for your painting works.
These brushes also work well with acrylic paints and help you with accurate details in your paintings. The handle of this brush is aluminum, making it resistant to damage from unscented minerals and turpentine.
|➕Budget-friendly||➖Comes with limited brushes in sizes and shapes.|
|➕Best for beginners|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- ✔︎ PREMIUM DESIGN FEATURES — Benefits of Taklon synthetic bristles over natural animal hairs : less prone to damage from solvents and paints; less prone to breakage; excellent shape retention;...
- ✔︎ EXCELLENT VARIETY FOR MULTIPLE EFFECTS — 7 professional brushes with crystal clear labeling system showing size and type. You'll always have the perfect brush for obtaining your desired...
- ✔︎ GET THE PROFESSIONAL RESULTS YOU WANT — If you enjoy painting outdoors (i.e., Plein Air Painting, landscape artistry, etc.), LorDac Arts paint brushes are guaranteed to enrich the experience....
- ✔︎ SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE AND VERSATILITY — Durable glue and quality aluminum ferrules ensure bristles don't remain on paintings and a longer brush life. Our brush kits ensure rewarding outcomes...
- ✔︎ The Manufacturer, LorDac Arts, Offers You A 100% No Hassle - No Risk Money Back Guarantee! - Click "Add to Cart" Now
Best Durable Oil Paint Brushes
Princeton Aspen 6500 5pc Professional Paint Brushes are a set of synthetic brushes that have thick, stiff bristles, similar to hog paint brushes but don’t have a scratchy feel while painting.
They seem to hold the paint well because they keep their shape and do not drop any bristles. They are stiff, which helps to handle like a hog paintbrush. In comparison to other synthetic brushes, they are less slippery.
|➕Durable oil paint brushes.||➖Rounds are not large.|
|➕They are firm for synthetics.|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Oil Brushes Retain Shape - The Princeton Aspen 6500 oil paint brush set has stiff synthetic bristles for better control over your artistic medium. These professional wooden handle paint brushes will...
- Advanced Paint Release - The Aspen 6500 professional oil paint brush set absorbs vibrant pigment with its smooth synthetic bristles and evenly distributes it on your canvas, helping the artist produce...
- Ideal for Plein Air Painting- Brush Set includes size 2/0 round, 2 bright brush, 6 flat brush, 4 short filbert, and 2 liner brush; the perfect variety of brushes gives the artist more creative...
- Next Generation Synthetic Paint Brushes - Extend the life of your brush, the Aspen 5pc painting brush set resists damage from solvents and paints and are easier to maintain because of their fibers.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed - We’ve built our products to last. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase contact us and we will gladly make things right!
Best Oil Paint Brushes for Thick Paints
The Princeton Catalyst range covers a selection of tools for working with thick media and impasto painting, including these brushes, which are well-suited to working with thickly applied oil paints.
These brushes cover a range of tools designed for thick media and impasto painting works, making them ideal for oil paints. These are conventional brushes that do not hold or load too much paint.
These brushes are best for clearing up and pushing the paint around so that it does not accumulate in one place. These are stiff, resist bending, and are flexible enough to make more brush-like strokes than impasto tools. These brushes are constructed with black ferrule to prevent glare.
|➕Wide shapes and sizes available.||➖Sometimes they spill after extended use.|
|➕These brushes work well with all mediums.|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Poly tip bristle brushes are another Princeton breakthrough that advances the science of synthetic hair
- Tip of each individual hair has been split to replicate the natural flags on the finest natural bristle
- Holds a higher volume of paint while providing a smoother application
- Designed for use with medium to heavy-bodied acrylics and oil paints
- The Flat and Flat shader is composed of medium-length bristles that taper to a chisel edge, allowing for a wide range of applications. A good-quality Flat will have spring and will snap back to shape...
Best Oil Paint Brushes for Fine Precision works
These Escoda Grafilo brushes are high-quality sable brushes that can produce an incredibly fine point, and hold paint well. These are ideal for experienced artists or professionals but are also a great choice for anyone seeking to produce close-knit details.
The extra care while cleaning and using means they will lose their shape and points quickly. These brushes have smooth hair and push paint around. They are very ideal for thin applications and detailing. It is easy to balance expressive marks with accuracy due to the length and weight of the handles.
|➕Can produce thin lines and extremely detailed shapes.||➖Expensive|
|➕Hold enough amount if paint.||➖Require extra care|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- OIL & ACRYLIC BRUSH SET - This set of 6 fine artist paint brushes includes 1 each of Grafilo series 2420 & 2920 round & bright watercolor brushes in sizes 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and packed in a beautiful...
- 100% PURE KOLINSKY-TAJMYR ARTIST PAINTBRUSHES - Considered the very best hair for watercolor painting, only the best male kolinsky hair is used for the Reserva series of fine artist paintbrushes
- LONG HANDLE ROUND ROUND & BRIGHT PAINTBRUSHES - Artist brush set designed for oil & acrylic painting
- TRIPLE CRIMP FERRULE - The patented triple crimp ferrule is unique to Escoda fine art paint brushes and helps ensure a lifetime of use
- HANDMADE IN SPAIN - Each watercolor paint brush is expertly crafted by artisan brush makers
Best Oil Paint Brushes with Different Sizes and Shapes
The Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes are an excellent set of oil brushes. They have thick and smooth hair, and are sealed in aluminum ferrule firmly in a form that won’t come out easily. The shafts are wooden, and will not bend or break with long-term use.
These are costly but do not feel as if they come with a set of 15 brushes, they include a variety of shapes and sizes.
The set of these brushes includes every kind of brush to serve every need of artistic work. These brushes are portable and come with a zippered holder that is compatible with acrylics, watercolors, gouaches, and oil paintings.
|➕Comes with a set that includes 15 brushes.||➖Not for professional use, but good for beginners.|
|➕Easy to use and clean.|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Extremely Versatile: 15 different sizes from 3/0 to 12 ¨C perfect for every level of artists from kids, beginners to professionals. If you are looking for elegantly made paint brushes for personal...
- Superior Quality: This art paint brush set is a great introduction to professional quality. The paint brushes are handmade with care, using the finest material to ensure that no bristles are left...
- Wide Application: These paint brushes are suitable for various kinds of painting ¨C capable of acrylics, watercolors, gouaches, and oil paintings.
- Strong Portbility: The paint brushes set comes with a gorgeous zippered holder, which potentially could be a wonderful Christmas gift for family and friends. With the handy case, it is also perfect...
- Storing Tips: Clean art paint brushes set in warm soapy water and rinse well immediately after use. Reshape bristles gently and wait till dry before storage.
How to Store Your Paint Brushes
If you are an artist, then you know that you must take care of the brushes that you have.
You should always store them tip side up and make sure that you rest your brushes tip side down for an extended period but should happen even while resting a brush in a solvent for a few minutes.
Prolonged pressure on the tip of the brush will lead to bent bristles or may lead to giving poor results while painting or shedding bristles in your artwork. Storing them in a glass substance or brush stand helps keep them safe and maintains their shapes and bristles.
How to Clean Your Oil Paint Brushes?
Oil paints are stubborn and oil resistant, making them difficult to clean. It is best to clean these brushes using a solvent such as odorless mineral spirit or turpentine for effective results.
Once the paint dissolves in a solvent, it can be cleaned using any detergent or warm water to fully clean the oil paintbrush.
If you have natural fiber, sable, or hog hair bristles, then it is highly recommended to use a hairbrush conditioner or linseed oil to the bristles and form it into a tip to keep them in a good condition to use over a long period. This is one of the best ways to keep the bristles springy and to a fine point for a long time even after using them several times.
Frequently Asked questions
Which type of brush is best for oil painting?
Bristle brushes are the best for oil paintings compared to any other type. They have large bristles for washes and to set backgrounds. Mid-size or small-sized will have sharp edges that help in creating and producing small details. However, you may achieve finer details with small, round, and sable brushes.
How many times should you clean your oil paint brushes?
Two or three times annually. If you clean your brushes every time after you use them, they lose the natural oil they possess and would need replacement. After every wash, take a small amount of hair conditioner and roll over and rinse them to keep them in a good condition.
What are the brushes used for oil painting made from?
The classic brushes used for oil paintings are made of hog hair. The common types are the fan, filbert, and flat brushes.
What are the best overall paintbrushes?
The Winsor & Newton Winton Long Handle Brush is the best overall paintbrush. As this brush has all qualities that an artist would need to produce art and meet the requirements.
Final Thoughts for Best Paint Brushes for Oils
Choosing the best paintbrush set is always a difficult task.
Nevertheless, this list of the best painting brushes available in the market will help beginners, professionals, and detailers.
Choose the one that best suits your needs and let us know in the comments which one is the best for you and your needs.
Have a good time creating art, and check out our other articles to help you find the best art supplies: 8 Best Art Easels for Paintings and Artwork, 13 Best Art Projectors for Tracing, Drawing & Painting, and 7 Best Printers for Art Prints.