Sitting in a chair all day at work can have some pretty hazardous effects on your health. That’s why in recent years, the popularity of standing desks has continued to grow. Not only does it help you get off your rear, but you can still do your work while you improve your posture, burn calories and even increase your life expectancy.
Sounds awesome right? Well, what if you don’t know anything about standing desks? That’s why we’re here to give you our choices for the best standing desks in 2020. That way you can choose the best one for you at work and start working towards a healthier you, one workday at a time.
What types of standing desks are out there anyway?
Let’s start right there then!
Top Laptops & Computers
- 17 Essential Tools for Designers
- Best chromebooks for designers
- Best computers for designers
- Best computers for video editing
- Best Macbooks for designers
- Best laptops for video editing
- Best laptops for programming & coding
- Best budget laptops for designers
- Best Dell laptops
More Top Gear for Designers
- Best printers for designers
- Best monitors for designers
- Best tablets for designers
- Best Huion tablets for designers
- Best mouse for designers
- Best earphones for music-lovers
- Best cameras for designers
- Best microphones for designers
- Best office chairs for designers
- Best external hard drives for designers
- Best monitor calibrators for designers
- Best pens for creatives
- Best phones for designers & creatives
- Best powerbanks
- Best laptop bags & backpacks
Types of Standing Desks
When you start looking around at using a standing desk instead of or in place of a traditional desk, you will see that there are two main variations. However, with each variation, there are some sub-categories within each offering more choices. Take a look!
Full Standing Desks
A full standing desk looks like any other desk or table from the outset but the differences lie in that they can be adjusted up and down to suit the user. These desks typically have a lot of surface area and are more of a whole desk replacement rather than something that sits on top of your current desk.
Electric full standing desks raise up and down using, you guessed it, electricity. These are typically the most popular choice because of their ease of use. Some brands may have a control unit that will allow you to store your preferred height setting for standing and sitting at the desk. While there are some budget-friendly options out there, these types of desks will typically start around $500 for higher-end options.
None-electric desks will use either a manual process of pneumatics to raise and lower the desk to the desired height of the user. Desks of this design tend to be affordable, simple to use, and very reliable. The only major concern about these types of desks is the time or effort that is used to raise and lower the desk as well as the inability to save your desired settings.
Standing Desk Converters
A standing desk converter is a great option because not only is it more affordable, but it also allows you to keep your current desk. These are a great option to have, especially if you’re on a budget.
Much like their full standing desk cousins, these converters use electricity to adjust their height and much like a full standing desk, the only major downside is the price. The price difference between an electric converter and a standing desk is minimal, so you may want to consider a full desk instead.
Fixed standing desk converters are not adjustable. The design allows you to turn your desk into a standing desk, but without the option to go back and forth. These tend to be very inexpensive due to the simplicity of their use.
Easily the most common of the three, non-electric desk converters allow you to raise and lower your desk height with ease and their main advantage when compared to electric converters is their cost. While requiring little to no assembly, these converters do have the downside of reducing the desk space you have to work in when it is being used.
What to Consider When Buying A Standing Desk
When you decided that you want to buy a standing desk to use during your workday, it’s unlikely that you’re going to end up buying the very first one you see. You’ll probably want to know what you should consider first and we feel you should consider these areas first.
The biggest benefit of using a standing desk is that it can help increase productivity, improve your mood and that’s because you’re moving all day instead of sitting in a chair all day long in a sedentary position. Many new users of standing desks do so to help reduce leg, neck, back, and even wrist pain.
Range of Adjustment
Between the highest setting and the lowest, that difference is the range of adjustment, If you’re below or above average height, you may want to make sure that the desk works in relation to your height.
If you’re going to be standing at your desk with computer screens or a laptop on it, having a stable standing desk is important. You want to be sure you find one that doesn’t wobble or possibly cause an accident.
Some desks will offer more space than others so making sure you take that into account before you buy a standing desk will help keep you from running out of space.
If you work in an office, your standing desk may end up having a lot of technology stacked on top of it, having a standing desk with a weight capacity that can handle all that weight will keep your things safe.
The Best Standing Desks in 2020 – Introduction
Choosing the best standing desk can be an arduous process with all of the options and choices out there for you to consider. That’s why we feel our list can provide you with the absolute best choices for your next standing desk.
- Fully Jarvis Bamboo Standing Desk – $584
- Readydesk 2 – $149
- Ergo Desktop Kangaroo Pro Junior – $403
- Varidesk Pro 60 Full Electric Standing Desk – $795
- Uplift V2 Standing Desk – $649
- ApexDesk Elite 60″ – $583
- SHW Electric 48″ – $238
- Devaise Crank Desk 55″ – $229
- FancierStudo Riser 38″ – $179
- Flexispot M2B 36″ – $279
The Top Standing Desks in 2020 Compared
The Best Standing Desks in 2020
The Best Overall Standing Desk
A problem with many sit and stand desks is that the higher it rises, the less stable it becomes. This isn’t the case with the Fully Jarvis. Even while extended to its full height of 48.75 inches, the desk is more than stable enough. With a motorized frame, adjusting the heigh is smooth and easy and a digital handset gives you four preset options, letting you set your desired height when sitting and standing.Learn More
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Award winning sit stand adjustable desk frame easily adjusts from 25.5" to 51" (including desktop) with 350 lb lifting capacity, fits people 5'4" to 7' tall
- PROGRAMMABLE, FAST, QUIET, ELECTRIC LIFT: Easy to read handset with 4 customizable memory presets for quick 1.5" per second height adjustment with industry leading warranty
- QUALITY, DURABLE and SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS: Our eco-friendly solid slab bamboo desktop is made sustainably, easy to clean and includes 2 desktop grommets to organize cords
- STABLE STEEL BASE: Sturdy steel desk legs (not aluminum), won't wobble and provides side-to-side and front-to-back stability
- PLEASE NOTE: Your Desk will arrive in 3 boxes, possibly over 1-2 days. To check the status of all boxes, check tracking on FedEx site
The Best Affordable Standing Desk
If you’re on a budget, many of the standing desk options on our list can be out of your price range by the Readydesk 2 provides a great standing desk at an affordable price. A great options if you’re still on the fence about going full-time with a standing desk, the Readydesk 2 is easy to assemble and doesn’t take up too much room. You can configure the adjustable shelves in more than 25 ways while the top shelf has enough room for two monitors.Learn More
- Guaranteed to work. This standing desk converter is sold by the same people who make it in San Diego, California. Laptop stand and additional accessories available on the Readydesk website
- Readydesk 2 stand up desk is recognized as the first desk to give you proper posture while standing up. The independently adjustable shelves make it comfortable to work by adjusting to your body...
- Wide shelves with lots of real estate give you room for monitors, keyboards, notebooks, track pad, calculators, a mouse, etc. A sturdy base supports up to 75 lbs of equipment...that's 5X it's own...
- Featured on Business Insider, Apartment Therapy, Lifehacker, Slate, Casey Neistat and more
- Assembles and disassembles without tools
The Best Conversion Standing Desk
For some a big issue with using a standing desk it that it replaces the desk that you already have, which can be a problem, especially if you like the desk you have. The Kangaroo Pro solves this issue. Designed to be one of the most ergonomic conversions available, the Kangaroo has a separate keyboard and monitor platforms. Able to hold up to 35 pounds, you can easily go from sitting to standing with the use of a built-in pneumatic spring mechanism, without taking up all of your space.Learn More
- Pro Jr Blk only-Mounted monitor//Dual Adjustment
- Works best for down fed vertical cables from the back of your monitor instead of horizontal cables coming out the back.
- Work surface and monitor adjust separately giving you Dual Ergonomics
- The Kangaroo Pro JR is smaller than The Kangaroo Pro
- Main work surface measures 2ft wide by 2ft deep
The Best Easy-to Assemble Standing Desk
The last thing anyone wants from a product they spend a lot of money on is to spend a lot of time trying to put it together. The Pro 60 from Varidesk takes only 5 minutes to set up. With heights from 25.5 to 50.5 inches available, the Pro 60 is made from commercial-grade materials and can hold up to 250 pounds and the three programmable settings ensure that your desk is at the right height every time.Learn More
The Best Customizable Standing Desk
With many standing desks, the overall design is the same. The desk rises to give you a higher work surface, but with the Uplift desk, you can finally have a standing desk that feels like it yours with the customization that it offers. While the basics are the same as any other desk, the options that you can add to the size, power supplies, electronics, and other areas make it stand out. While not on the cheaper side, the number of options that it can give you to truly make it your own is worth the price.Learn More
- Keep yourself moving throughout the day with the desk that was rated "Best Standing Desk" by Wirecutter and Forbes; height adjustment range from 25.5" - 51.1" H with 1" desktop
- Natural, high-quality, 1"-thick solid bamboo desktop is sturdy, attractive, environmentally friendly, and includes two wire management covers
- 355-lb lifting capacity with 3-stage legs; dual motors for faster, quieter, and smoother movement than other desks; frame includes a wire management tray
- Advanced Keypad with one-touch height adjustment allows you to program various heights, lock your keypad, set max and min heights, and more
- Industry-leading 10-year, all-inclusive warranty against damage or defect, with additional improved safety features to prevent accidents
The Best Value Standing Desk
One complaint that many people have about using a standing desk is the lack of room that it offers. The 60 inches on the ApexDesk Elite provides the best amount of room for any work that you may need to do. With memory presets, a sturdy frame and excellent lift capacity, the Elite 60 has everything that we look for in a standing desk. While the price point may be a bit high for some, the amount of space you’re provided makes it worth the price.Learn More
- 𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐁𝐘 𝐂𝐍𝐍 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐃 – Debuted in 2015 and for six years running,...
- 𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄 – One-piece solid 1” thick top. The ergonomically-shaped top measures 60” wide and 28” deep (26” at mid-section). The top...
- 𝐏𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐃𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐎𝐑 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐘𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐌 – With a fast speed of 1.5” per second, the desk can move anywhere...
- 𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐐𝐔𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄 – The crossbar is fixed. No maneuver is needed to line the base up with the top. Legs are secured with locking levers. Most users can...
- 𝐂𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐘 & 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐊 𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 – Full-size cable management tray and matching 47”...
The Best Budget-Friendly Standing Desk
The features found on the SHW Electric standing desk and typically found on standing desks that cost hundreds more. With an electric height adjustment, memory settings, cable management pass-throughs, along with a 48-inch desktop, the SHW offers features that commonly are not found on anything costing less than $400. It’s this combination of price and features that make it well worth a look.Learn More
- Digital Display Handset - 4 memory preset options for easy adjustment.
- Electric Lift System - Fully motorized lift from 28 to 46 Inches height
- Telescopic Height Adjustment - The strong legs use telescopic adjustment transitioning from sitting to standing from 28" to 46"
- High-grade industrial steel, Desk Top has the grommets to organize your cords.
- Measures - 47.25" W x 23.6" D x 28-46 " H
The Best Manual Standing Desk
While it’s become more and more commonplace, manual standing desks are still available and still preferred. The Devaise is a perfect minimalistic desk for anyone who can live without having the options provided by an electric standing desk. For many, simple is better and a lot of times they are less likely to break and can last longer than their electric brethren. The high-quality construction gives us a sense of confidence that this standing desk will last for a long time.Learn More
- 【ERGONOMIC STAND UP DESK】 This design promotes better posture, reduced back and neck pain, a thinner waist line and increased productivity
- 【HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE】Easily adjusts from a sitting to standing desk with a smooth crank that allows you to go from a height of 29" to 45"
- 【LARGE WORK SURFACE】Can accommodate laptop, two monitors, keyboard and mouse perfectly, and hold up to 100lbs, can also be used as a gaming desk
- 【MOUNT CRANK EITHER SIDE】Crank can be moved to either side of the desk, meets everyone's habits
- 【EASY TO ASSEMBLE】 In just 30min or less, you can get your new desk all set up ( for most users )
Best Value Standing Desk Converter
With its oversized width, the FancierStudio Riser is a great standing desk converter at a price that can’t be beaten. A deep and full-width keyboard tray lets you use any keyboard and mouse setup that work for you and still have enough room to keep your phone next to you. The large size allows for multiple monitors or other configurations such as a large monitor or even a monitor paired with a laptop. The versatility makes this a standing desk worth trying.Learn More
- Adjustable Height Standing Desk or Monitor Stand from 5 to 17.7-Inch Height Modern Black Color
- Heavy duty: Supports up to 30 lbs, Ships Fully Assembled
- Very easy to adjust heights up and down, Uses simple hand levers, Just pull two handles to side and lift
- Choose from 8 height levels as you transition between sitting and standing throughout the day choose height from 5" to 17.7" inch.
- Overall dimensions are 38-inch Wide x 29.5 Deep x 5 to 17.7-inch High
The Best Space Saving Standard Desk Converter
Unlike many other standing desk converters, the Flexispot M2B has almost no assembly required to get started. Many other converters will move up and forward when you raise it, the M2B lifts straight up, making it a great option for cubicles where space can be an issue. and operates with one handle, making it easier to operate.Learn More
- Straight Up & Down Movement - Our space-saving workstation rises and folds vertically, within its own footprint. There's no need to make the spatial accommodations that may be required with comparable...
- Smooth & Easy Adjustments - Our single-handle design makes it super easy to safely adjust the height of the desk. You never need to use two hands or extra force like with some other brands.
- Spacious Work Surface - With our groove-free, extra-deep desktop, you will have plenty of space to accommodate a laptop, computer monitor, paperwork and more.
- Quick-Release Keyboard Tray - Our full-sized keyboard tray features a deeper work surface to fit a larger keyboard, mouse, and mousepad as well as a unique quick-release design so you can quickly and...
- Ergonomic Benefits for Every Height - Whether you're 5'1" or 6'1", you can comfortably shift from sitting to standing with 12 different height levels.
The Best Standing Desks in 2020
When you decide to change from sitting at a desk to using a standing desk, it can be a bit confusing at first. There can be many different options to choose from. We hope that our list of the Best Standing Desks in 2020 helps give you some insight and tips before you choose your own.
Do you have a standing desk that you swear by but it’s not on our list? Let us know more in the comments below!!