These days it seems like everyone has a camera and that’s pretty accurate when you consider that our cell phones have some of the best cameras out there.
However, these cameras don’t always work so well, if you’re shooting a video for professional purposes, which is why we started to wonder what were the best video cameras for creatives in 2020.
If you’ve never bought a video camera before, you definitely weren’t born in the 80s, so let’s start with what you should be on the lookout for!
Top Gear for Video Editing
- Best monitors for editing video
- Best laptops for video editing
- Best computers for video editing
- Best external hard drives
- 17 Essential Tools for Designers
- Best chromebooks for designers
- Best computers for designers
- Best Macbooks for designers
- Best laptops for designers
- Best laptops for programming & coding
- Best budget laptops for designers
More Top Gear for Designers
- Best printers for designers
- Best monitors for designers
- Best tablets for designers
- Best Huion tablets for designers
- Best mouse for designers
- Best earphones for music-lovers
- Best cameras for designers
- Best microphones for designers
- Best office chairs for designers
- Best external hard drives for designers
- Best monitor calibrators for designers
- Best pens for creatives
- Best phones for designers & creatives
What to Consider Before Buying A Video Camera
Choosing a new video camera isn’t as easy as picking the first one you see online. When you pick a video camera, you have to make sure that it fits the needs you have and the purpose you are using it for. Making sure that you consider these factors first will help you pick the right one.
Interchangeable or fixed lens
The camera will commonly come in two different styles. Interchangeable or fixed lens. An interchangeable camera gives you the option of changing lenses for better picture quality and aspect ratio. A fixed lens is the opposite, as the camera only comes with the lens attached. This can be a great option for beginners and a lot less expensive.
If you’re using a video camera as part of your work, having control over the settings can be very important. Cameras that shoot in 4K, have many touch screen and frame rate options plus customizable tone curves can help make any video you shoot look professional.
Having a good zoom ratio on your video camera can make zooming in and out with little image distortion easy as can be. If you’re shooting videos for commercials or for independent films, you will want to find a video camera with an appropriate zoom level to get the job done.
You don’t see many people with their video cameras stuck to their faces anymore, do you? That’s because of the creation of an LCD screen on the back and attached to many current cameras. This can make shooting video in difficult environment easier and can also help keep the camera steady if you’re looking through the viewfinder.
Finding a good video camera that is a great combination of the features you’re looking for and an affordable price can be difficult. Aim to choose a video camera that fits as many needs as possible without breaking the bank.
Top Video Cameras in 2020 Overview
Our list of the Best Video Cameras in 2020 certainly runs the gamut of the different types of cameras you can find out there. While not everyone will use a video camera in the same way, we wanted to highlight the best ones so you can decide which one is right for you
- Panasonic 4K Camcorder – $797
- Panasonic Lumix GH5 – $1497
- Sony RX100 VII – $1198
- Canon Vixia HF R800 – $199
- GoPro Hero7 Black – $323
- Nikon Coolpix P1000 – $996
- Sony HD Handycam – $178
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV – $2799
- AKASO EK7000 – $74
- Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 – $2197
The Best Video Cameras in 2020 Compared
Best Video Cameras in 2020
Best video camera overall
While UHD/4K video hasn’t reached its pinnacle yet, the groundwork is being laid by hardware such as the 4K Camcorder from Panasonic. With HD recording, a LEICA Decoma Lens, 20x optical zoom range as well as in-camera effects and editing modes put this camera over the top. Panasonic designed this camera to be relevant for years while 4K becomes the standard and with everything packed into this tiny camera, it looks like they’ll succeed.Learn More
- Ultra sharp 4K ultra HD recording, plus in camera editing for 1080p displays
- Electronic Viewfinder EVF emulates a semi Professional recording experience; Dedicated HDR button enables quick mode changes; Exclusive high dynamic range (HDR) mode reduces the overly high contrast...
- Leica Decoma Lens optical 20x zoom, 5 axis hybrid optical image stabilization; Image sensor 1/2.3 inch BSI MOS sensor; Total pixels 18.91 megapixels; Focal length 4.0 to 81.6 millimeter
- Built in Twin Camera, plus Wi Fi mobile features add multi camera scene picture in picture recording; Digital Zoom 60x / 1500x (The maximum value of zoom magnification can be set in two patterns)
- 4K cinema in camera editing and effects (Dolly zoom, slow/quick motion, 4K Post cropping, stabilization and zoom)
Best video camera for YouTube
The GH line from Panasonic has been known to be a favorite among camera enthusiasts and the GH5 will be no exception. The video quality offered by Panasonic’s GH line is what separates them from the competition. With 10-bit 4.2.2 video in 4K resolution at up to 400 megabits per second, many other cameras will need an external recorder to even come close to that. The GH5 does it easily with the use of an SD card. With no limit on recording time and a 180-degree articulating monitor, the GH5 can make all of your YouTube videos look amazing.Learn More
- Professional photo & video: 20.3 Megapixel micro four thirds sensor with no low pass filter to capture sharp images with a high dynamic range and artifact free performance
- Splash/Freeze Proof Design: Freeze proof to 10 degrees the durable magnesium alloy body withstands heavy use in the field; Splash/dust proof construction with weather sealing on every Joint, dial and...
- Dual image stabilization: 5 axis dual image stabilization corrects all lenses, including classic lenses not equipped with O. I. S, to eliminate Blur and nearly eliminate body and lens shake in both...
- 4K video capture: Records silky smooth 4K 60P/50P (QFHD 4K: 3840 x 2160/ MOV or MP4) video with internal 4: 2: 2 10 bit 4K video recording, Plus exclusive 6K photo and 4K post focus records photos up...
- Connectivity & Ports: 3.5 millimeter audio port, connect to devices with USB 3.0, an external monitor or external Recorder with a full size HDMI port; Available Twin SD card slots (UHS II U3...
Best video camera for travel
When you’re traveling, it doesn’t always mean that you get to stop working too as many creatives have found ways to continue working on their business no matter where they are. The trouble is, lugging a big camera case through the airport can become cumbersome, a problem easily solved by the RX100 VII from Sony. Offering one of the most impressive video features sets available in a compact camera, it can easily record 4K video at either 30 or 24fps, Full HD 1080p up to 120fps. The combination of power and capability in a small size makes this the perfect video camera to take with you on a trip.Learn More
- 20. 1MP 1. 0 Type stacked CMOS sensor, Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* 24 200 millimeter F2. 8 F4. 5 large aperture high magnification zoom lens
- 0. 02 sec. High AF speed, 357 point focal plane Phase detection AF and 425 point contrast detection AF
- Up to 20 fps blackout free shooting, using up to 60 times/sec. Af/AE calculations.Dioptre Adjustment:-4.0 to +3.0 m-1
- Ai based real time tracking for stills and movies, and touch tracking. Real time eye AF for human (stills and movies), and for animal (stills only)
- 4K video with s log3 and Interval Shooting. Microphone jack and vertical position data recording. Active mode image stabilization in 4K video recording, and Movie Edit add on compatible
Best video camera for sports
With the advent of the internet, anyone who has a creative bone in their body can create a video show about any topic from cooking to local sports coverage. For the latter, capturing quality video and be able to use a powerful enough zoom to feature a player is important. The Vixia HF R800 from Canon is a perfect option for those who have spent their time recording videos on a smartphone but are looking for longer recording times and a great long zoom at a great price.Learn More
- A 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD screen that is bright and clearly visible, even outdoors in the sun, with rich, natural color reproduction
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps correct camera shake quickly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths can be sharp and steady
- The 57x advanced zoom allows you to create videos with dynamic variety, and is less likely to disrupt the action you're shooting
- High-resolution HD CMOS Image Sensor features extra sensitivity that delivers beautifully lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light
- Turn your VIXIA camcorder into a high-quality webcam using its clean HDMI output
Best POV camera
One of the biggest creative avenues for people shooting videos is shooting from their own point of view. Up until a few years ago, POV video really wasn’t a viable option before GoPro released a small, but very powerful camera such as the Hero7 Black. While the landscape of these types of cameras has become flooded with more competitors, the image stabilization the Hero7 offers sets it apart. Able to record 4K video at up to 60 frames per second, the user interface has been given a redesign to make it even more user-friendly. Plus, the added feature of sharing your adventures through live-streaming means that all of your viewers can watch you from all over the world when before, you needed to use third-party tools to do so.Learn More
- HyperSmooth: Get gimbal‑like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Live streaming in 720p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 720p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Rugged + Waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33 feet (10m) and up for any adventure
- SuperPhoto: Get brilliant photos automatically. With SuperPhoto, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
The Video Camera With the Best Zoom
Depending on the type of work you do, having a video camera with a powerful zoom can make or break the quality of your video and either attract or repel viewers. The Coolpix P1000 touts a 3,000mm optical lens which is the most powerful lens that Nikon has offered to date. Shooting video in ultra HD resolution and is able to record true stereo sound directly through the in-camera audio. The 125X zoom opens up amazing new possibilities when you are shooting video allowing you to get up close and personal with your subject from a distance, bringing a higher sense of connection with your audience.Learn More
- 3000 millimeter optical zoom-the most powerful zoom lens; Ever put on a Nikon Coolpix camera
- 4k ultra hd video with HDMI out, stereo sound and an accessory hot shoe
- Rock steady dual detect image stabilization and great low light capability. Vibration reduction: Lens shift VR (still pictures) / lens shift and electronic VR (movies)
- Raw (NRW), time lapse and super lapse shooting plus great creative modes
- Full manual controls along with easy auto shooting
Best Video Camera for Beginners
While you may be a professional videographer with the best equipment available, do you know someone who may just be getting started and that’s why the HD Handycam from Sony makes a perfect choice. With an LCD display and the ability to shoot in Full HD, the Handycam is a perfect choice for beginners. A 9.2-megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor, SensorSteadyShot image stabilization as well as an intellgent auto mode make this a high-quality camera. All of this combined with a very affordable price make it a superior option to others out there.Learn More
- 50Mbps XAVC S1 1920x1080 at 60P, AVCHD and MP4 codecs. 30x Optical / 60x Clear Image Zoom to get closer to the action. 26.8mm wide angle ZEISS Lens
- Automatically creates highlight video in MP4 from multiple clips. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode. Built-in USB cable for easy file transfer/charge
- Face Detection with voice enhancement and noise reduction. Get creative w/ 7 picture effects for video and still photos.For windows computers, details vary according to OS (Windows7/VISTA/XP)
- View on 2.7” Clear Photo Plus LCD display. Intelligent Auto (60 different scene combinations possible) , Focal Length (35mm) (Video) f=26.8 - 804.0 mm (16:9) Focal Length (35mm) (Still Image)...
- This product does not have an external microphone input.
Best Universal DSLR
Arguably one of the most recognizable brands of the digital age, the quality that Canon puts into the EOS line is unmistakable. While the body is very similar to the Mark V, the Mark VI boasts some nice upgrades including a higher-resolution sensor that comes with Dual Pixel autofocus, 4K video capture, an AF system that has been upgraded, touchscreen, GPS and many other updates to an already impressive camera. The 4K video capture allows users to record in either 24 or 30p, though it does have a 1.64x crop and is captures as Motion JPEG. The camera also allows for 4K frame grabs, giving users 30 fps of still shooting. While all of the hardware is nice, the one area it’s not is the price. With it being so expensive, this is one camera designed with professionals in mind.Learn More
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100-32000; expandable up to 50-102400 (equivalent ISO).
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in- camera still frame grab of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
- Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or live view shooting; LCD monitor has a full touchscreen interface, including selection of AF area.
- Excellent performance - up to 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed with high-performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your Canon camera into a high-quality webcam, or do the same using a clean HDMI output.
Best Budget Video Camera
It can be very hard to find an affordable camera that can record in 4K, but the EK7000 from Akaso is an impressive little camera. Able to achieve a native 4K resolution at 25 fps, it can also shoot 2.7K footage at a full 30fps. The chassis the camera comes in is waterproof up to 131 feet making it great for action videos on the water. Wi-Fi functionality is built right into the camera lets you see the footage you’re filming right on your phone or share it right away.Learn More
- UPGRADE SERIES OF AKASO EK7000: AKASO EK7000 Pro action camera delivers 4K/25fps, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60fps videos and 16 MP photos that capture every moment in crisp detail and unparalleled clarity.
- INTUITIVE UI DESIGN: Ultra 2 inch IPS touch screen shows everything crystal clearly and brightly, easy to change settings, switch shooting modes, preview and playback footage.
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION: Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) delivers steady and smooth videos. AKASO EK7000 Pro sports camera ensures excellent experience in shooting fast-moving...
- WATERPROOF CAMERA UP TO 131FT: Equipped with the upgraded waterproof case, this underwater camera can deep dive up to 131 feet, ready to capture all details of your adventures. Ideal for water sports...
- ADJUSTABLE VIEW ANGLE: You can set the view angle of this action camera depending on your needs between super wide, wide, medium and narrow. It's easier to hit someone with low angle. With high angle...
The best camera for stills and video
Even if you’re a professional videographer, sometimes it can be a nice change of pace to simply take some beautiful photos for your home, office or as an additional revenue stream. The Lumix DC-S1 from Panasonic is just the camera for those moments. While the camera has a great 24MP sensor, its ability to record in 4K at up to 60fps along with an optional HLG mode that helps produce content for HDR TVs makes it an excellent choice for any professional. But it’s the 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording and V-Log color profile, the same one that is used in Panasonic’s Varicam line that put this on our list.Learn More
- Full frame sensor – 24. 2-Megapixel full-frame (35. 6mm x 23. 8mm) MOS sensor that provides a wide dynamic Range and excellent performance at high sensitivity (is 51200 Max sensitivity)
- Lumix s camera lens – easy-to-use 24-105mm standard focal macro zoom F4 l-mount for Lumix s Series full-frame l-mount digital Mirrorless cameras
- 4K HDR VIDEO - 4K 60p/50p, 4K 24/30P unlimited recording, 4K60P 29: 59 min limited recording. HDR Mode and Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG). V-Log with Internal 4: 2: 2 10-bit 4k30/24p (4K60p output only)...
- 96MP high resolution mode – a sensor shift technology suitable for taking very high-resolution Landscapes and fine art photos via tripod with toggle able motion correction capabilities
- RUGGED MIRRORLESS CAMERA DESIGN – Dust/splash*/freeze-resistant design withstands heavy field use under harsh conditions for high mobility (*See PDF in & Support)
The Best Video Cameras in 2020
Choosing the best video camera will ultimately come down to what you are going to be using it for. With so many different ways that video can be shot and shared, having a high-quality camera is the only way to make sure that your work is seen in the best way possible. We hope that our list of the Best Video Cameras in 2020 has given you some ideas on what to look for.
Do you have a video camera that’s not on our list but should be? Let us know in the comments below!
📌 Don’t forget to save the blog for later, pin the image below!