In many offices across the world, there is a lot of different technology that is used on a day-to-day basis. In a graphic design or agency office, these can be used to present the next big pitch!
We set out on a course to find the best video projectors for presenting work. Here are our top picks for the best projectors in 2022.
But what should you take into consideration when purchasing a projector? Let’s start there!
10 Best Video Projectors in 2022 — Overview
- BenQ HT3550 — The best performing projector (Editor’s choice)
- Optoma UHD60 — The best all-round projector
- BenQ TK800 — The best projector for animation
- Optoma UHD51A — The best 4K 3D-ready projector
- Viewsonic PJD7828HDL — The best projector for smaller rooms
- Epson Home Cinema 4010 — The best 3D home theater projector
- BenQ HT2150ST — The best projector for darker rooms
- Anker Nebula Capsule — The best mini-projector
- LG Minibeam PH550 — The best portable projector
- NEC Display Solutions NP-ME401W — Best for mid-sized rooms
- Epson Home Cinema 3800 — A great video projector for home theaters
- Artlii Energon 2 Outdoor Projector — The most affordable outdoor projector
What is the best video projector in 2022?
The BenQ HT3550 is the best video projector in terms of performance and overall value but check our comparison table below to see what’s best for you.
What to Consider When Buying A Video Projector
When you first start looking around at a projector for your office, it can get a little confusing to know exactly what to look for. Even if you have some idea, there are certain things that you need to consider before buying:
Type of Projector
You are more than likely to run into one of the following types of projectors: DLP and LCD.
A DLP (Digital Light Processing) projector uses a light source in combination with a color wheel as well as a chip that contains microscopic mirrors that tilt. This projector works by having light pass through the color wheel, reflect off the mirrors, and is then projected onto the screen.
An LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) projector’s light source passes through 3 LCD Chips, which are assigned to the primary colors red, green, and blue and are used to create and project the image
Lamp, LED, or Laser
While the type of projector is important, the light source that it uses is important as well. Projectors will come with three different options which are a lamp, LED, or laser. Each has its advantages and disadvantages:
Projectors that use lamps need to have their bulb changes after about 3,000 to 4,000 hours of viewing. There are some though that can last much longer.
Video projectors that have a light source using either an LED or laser can have a much longer life of up to 20,000 hours or more.
Light Output & Brightness
If the light output on a projector is too low, the image displayed won’t be as bright as you might want, making it look muddy and soft, even in a dark room. Check the ANSI Lumens rating to know if the projector puts out enough light to produce bright images.
This rating lets you know how much light the projector can put out. Generally, projectors with a rating of 1,000 ANSI Lumens or higher will have more than enough brightness for use in a home theater. This the room size, screen size/distance as well as ambient room light can also affect the need for more or fewer lumens
Brightness is complemented by the contrast ratio. Contrast is the ratio between the black and white areas of the image. A high contrast ratio will deliver blacker blacks and whiter whites. Even if your projector has a great Lumens rating, if the contrast ratio is low, it will make your image look washed out. A contrast ratio of 1,500:1 in a darkened room is good, but 2,000:1 or higher is better.
Also known as display resolution, pixel density is important. LCD and DLP projectors have fixed numbers of pixels.
Not all 4K projectors will project in true 4K resolution. You should understand how 4K video projectors work as well as how they are labeled to make the best choice for your needs.
Check to see how colors look in the brightest and darkest parts of the image. You will want to check the degree of color stability from input to input. Also, you should become familiar with the types of picture settings that are offered by video projectors. Everyone can have a slight difference in color perception of color and what looks good.
With the way technology is today, making sure that your projector has the inputs you need is critical. Just about all projectors come with HDMI inputs and some still come with VGA and/or DVI inputs as well.
The 12 Best Video Projectors in 2022
1. BenQ HT3550 (Editor’s choice)
The best video projector overall
Projection system: DLP | Resolutions: 3840 x 2160 | Brightness: 2,000 lumens | Video inputs: HDMI x 2 | Dimensions: 380 x 127 x 263mm
With a beautiful new design, the BenQ HT3550 supports both HDR10 and HLG and also comes with zoom up to 1.3 times along with the support for a screen size of up to 120 inches and has a brightness of 2,000 lumens. The HT3550 boasts an impressive 30,000:1 contrast ratio giving you a dynamic image.
While the brightness could be a little higher, the HT3550 is a high-quality option for your office needs.
|➕ Outstanding image quality||➖ Does not allow for horizontal lens shift|
|➕ Exceeds expectations for its price level|
|➕ Sturdy build quality|
|➕ Excellent color accuracy and contrast|
- TRUE 4K PROJECTOR: 8. 3 Million Pixels give awe-inspiring 3840x2160 image quality and deliver incredible clarity and crisply defined details
- GRAND CINEMATIC ENJOYMENT: Cinematic Color technology reproduces out-of-the-box Rec. 709/DCI-P3 color accuracy, and offers super wide DCI-P3 color space
- PROJECTOR-OPTIMIZED HDR: HDR-PRO supercharged by HDR10 and HLG support with auto color rendition and present detail in darkest black and brightest white
- INSTALLATION FLEXIBILITY: Vertical lens shift (5%) and short throw with 1. 3x big zoom lens enable 100” at 8. 2ft to be set up at a limited space
- SHARP PICTURE QUALITY: All glass 4K-optimized Lens, high contrast 30, 000: 1 with dynamic Iris for enhanced clarity and sharpness
2. Optoma UHD60
The best value projector
Projection system: 4K DLP | Resolutions: 4K | Brightness: 3,000 lumens | Video inputs: 2x HDMI | Dimensions: 498 x 141 x 331 mm
The UHD60 from Optoma is an inexpensive option if you’re looking for a projector that puts out a 4K image without blowing your budget. 3,000 Lumens of brightness allows the projector to better fill screens and compete against any ambient light in the room.
With such a powerhouse of a projector, the lamp life is exceptional at 15,000 hours before you need to replace it although you can adjust the settings to dim the image and extend that number.
|➕ Reasonable price point||➖ The HDR image quality is underwhelming|
|➕ Almost noiseless|
|➕ Good contrast|
|➕ Has a lamp life of over 15,000 hours|
- TRUE 4K ULTRA HD: Experience premium, high-quality home cinema feel with 8.3 million distinct addressable on-screen pixels, enabled by the Texas Instruments 4K UHD DLP chipset
- 4X THE PIXELS OF 1080p: See more detail with 4 times the pixels of your 1080p HDTV; higher resolution creates a razor sharp picture for the ultimate 4K home theater experience
- ULTRA-BRIGHT: With 3,000 lumens, the UHD60 is bright enough in any room in the house, whether in a well-lit living room or a dimly lit home theater space
- HDR COMPATIBLE: HDR10 technology with DCI-P3 wide color gamut support displays everything in the REC.2020 colors; also providing brighter whites, deeper blacks, and greater color depth
- LONG LAMP LIFE: Enjoy up to 15,000 hours of lamp life enabling an average of 4 hours of viewing time every day 10+ years
3. BenQ TK800
The best projector for animation
Projection system: DLP | Brightness: 3,000 lumens | Inputs: HDMI x2, PC/VGA, USB x2 | Dimensions: 353 x 135 x 272mm | Resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 | 4K support: Yes (see below)
While the TK800 was originally designed with gamers in mind, many professionals have found it to be a great choice for interactive graphics and live demonstrations due in large part to its minimal input lag. With such an affordable price, it surprisingly supports 4K.
There is a catch though: the projector takes an image at 1920 x 1080 and flashes it four times very rapidly, which creates the effect of 4K which does qualify as 4K. The only real downside is the noise of the machine, which can be a little much.
The TK800 has a single 5W speaker mounted on the side. However, the audio is quite good compared to most other portable projectors. The audio is louder and has a better dynamic range than the 10W speaker on the PX747-4K, so specs are not relevant for comparative purposes on this feature.
|➕ Outstanding 4k image quality||➖ HDR image quality could be better|
|➕ Good value for money||➖ A bit noisy|
|➕ Supports 3D formats|
|➕ Good color accuracy|
- TRUE 4K UHD RESOLUTION: True 8. 3 million pixels deliver awe-inspiring 4K UHD image quality with incredible clarity and crisply defined details
- VIVID COLORS IN ANY AMBIENT LIGHTING: Perfectly balanced high visual brightness (> 3000lm) and vivid colors (> 92% rec. 709) for well-lit environments
- HYPER-REALISTIC HDR10 QUALITY: BenQ projector-optimized HDR features natural Auto HDR color and tone rendering for greater brightness and contrast
- COMPACT 4K HDR PROJECTOR: Sleek design with light, compact profile makes installation quick and easy with vertical keystone and 1. 2x zoom
- IMMERSIVE SPORTS EXPERIENCE: Dedicated football & Sport modes with Cinema Master Audio+2 feels like you’re in the stadium joining in the action
The best 4K 3D-ready projector
Projection system: DLP | Resolutions: 1920×1080 (x4) | Brightness: 2,400 lumens | Video inputs: 2x HDMI (1x MHL) | Dimensions: 5.1 x 15.4 x 11.1 in
One of the key selling points that Optoma makes with its UHD51A projector is its Alexa integration which lets you control the projector with voice commands using a smart speaker. While it can be a bit gimmicky at first, after a while you get more accustomed to not searching for a remote during a presentation. While the addition of 3D support requires you to have Active DLP Link glasses, the picture that, the UHD51A projects a rich and sharp image.
|➕ Great 4k image quality||➖ A bit noisy|
|➕ Affordable price||➖ Wireless connectivity requires use of a dongle|
|➕ Can switch between signal formats quickly|
|➕ Works well with 3D formats|
- Alexa smart home skill ready
- 4K UHD, bright 2,400 lumens and RGBRGB color wheel
- HDR10 support for brighter whites, deeper black levels and vivid colors
- 4K video playback with the integrated USB media player
- Dynamic Black delivers 500,000:1 contrast ratio for exceptional black levels
The best projector for smaller rooms
Projection system: DLP | Resolution: 1080p | Brightness: 3,200 lumens | Video inputs: 2x HDMI (1x MHL) | Dimensions: 498(w) x 141(h) x 331(d)mm
With a FullHD resolution, Viewsonics offers an affordable projector that is great in small rooms as the short-throw lens helps to project a larger image in smaller spaces. With a lumens rating of 3200, the Viewsonic projector measures brighter than many other, more expensive options. The addition of a “hidden” port underneath a hatch on top of the projector adds to its flexibility and makes this projector a hidden gem amongst others in this space.
|➕Good image quality||➖ Limited color accuracy|
|➕ Short throw lens makes it perfect for smaller-sized rooms||➖ Slightly noisy|
|➕ Has bright images with good contrast|
|➕ Flexible functionality makes it good for gamers|
- Screen Size Range: 96-inches from 8 feet; 144-inches from 12 feet
- Brightness: 3200 Lumens
- Contrast Ratio: 15,000:1, Keystone Correction: Vertical +/- 40º
- Warranty: 3 Years parts & labor, 1 year lamp and 1 year free express exchange*; Lamp Life: 4,000 / 6,000 hrs
- HDMI x2, S-Video, VGA x2, Composite Video, 3.5mm Audio, RS-232, USB, Mini USB
The best 3D home theatre projector
Projection system: LCD | Brightness: 2,400 lumens | Inputs: HDMI x2, VGA, USB, Ethernet | Dimensions: 520 x 450 x 193mm | Resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 | 4K support: Yes
This projector from Epson does double duty as a great projector for all of your work projects as well as one you can use at home for a movie night with your kids. While it simulates a 4K resolution, it does so masterfully to keep the price down.
Along with 4K content being beautifully reproduced, the projector also has support for 3D. Although it’s on the larger side, it is also one of the quietest projectors available.
|➕ 4k image quality||➖ Slightly noisy|
|➕ Has good brightness and contrast||➖ Does not have a manual iris for better control of the output and contrast|
|➕ Good value for money|
|➕ Quick and responsive to signal and mode changes|
- TRUE 3 CHIP PROJECTOR DESIGN – Advanced 3LCD technology displays 100% of the RGB color signal for every frame. This allows for outstanding color gamut while maintaining excellent brightness, without...
- 4K RESOLUTION PROCESSING – Advanced pixel shifting technology precisely controls three individual high definition LCD chips to parallel process millions of pixels. This new type of resolution...
- HDR PROCESSING – Full 10 bit HDR (3) color processing accepting 100% of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR content for an exceptional visual performance.Lamp type: 250 W UHE
- DIGITAL IMAGING PROCESSING – Realtime 12 bit analog to digital video processing for smooth tonal transitions, while helping to eliminate banding, blocking, and other compression artifacts from the...
- OUTSTANDING BRIGHTNESS – Capable of displaying 4K content at an incredible 2,400 lumens for both color and white brightness (2). This not only provides for a wider performance envelope but allows...
The best projector for darker rooms
Projection system: DLP | Resolutions: 1920 x 1080 (x4) | Brightness: 2,200 lumens | Video inputs: 2x HDMI (1x MHL), 1x RCA, 1x Component, 1x VGA | Dimensions: 312 x 104 x 244mm
A problem with a lot of projectors that put out images in 4K is that the cost that comes with it can be extraordinary. This isn’t the case with the HT2550 from BenQ.
As one of the least expensive projectors available, it can easily boast a great combination of vivid, clear colors, plenty of detail, and of course, 4K resolution. While the blacks aren’t as deep as some may like if you’re looking for a basic projector that has support for both 4K resolutions and HDR content.
|➕ 4k image quality||➖ The blacks could be deeper|
|➕ Good color accuracy||➖ No HDR support|
|➕ Its low input lag makes it perfect for gamers||➖ Limited resolution|
|➕ The fan is quiet|
|➕ Works great for smaller-sized rooms|
- UNPARALLELED PICTURE QUALITY:: Native 1080p Full HD image quality with 2200 ANSI Lumens, 15, 000:1 contrast ratio, 6x RGBRGB color wheel delivers rich colors and crisp details that are calibrated for...
- VIDEO GAMES ON THE BIG SCREEN: superior short throw projection enables you to project 100 inch screen from just 3 Feet letting you fully immerse into your games. Project up to 300 inches
- LOW INPUT LAG: The specialized low input lag and unique game modes ensure gamers an ultra-smooth and comprehensive gaming experience
- INDUSTRY LEADING WARRANTY : 3-year limited parts and labor coverage makes you rest easy that our us-based customer service team is here when you need it
- AWARD WINNING PROJECTOR - Best Overall - Best Projectors for Gaming 2019 - IGN
The best mini-projector
Projection system: DLP | Brightness: 500 lumens | Inputs: HDMI, Micro USB | Dimensions: 68 x 68 x 120 mm | Resolution: 854 x 480 | 4K support: No
Not every presentation you will ever do will take place inside a big boardroom on the top floor. For those meetings, you can’t be lugging around a bulky projector which makes the Nebula Capsule from Anker a perfect fit. Easily connectable to your laptop, the Capsule uses either HDMI or Micro USB although it doesn’t have any WiFi connectivity.
Rather than plugging into an outlet every time, the Capsule comes with a rechargeable Li-ion battery. The only drawbacks are that the resolution is only 854 x 480 and has a rating of only 500 Lumens. If you’re looking for portability, these shouldn’t be major concerns for you.
|➕ Solid build||➖ Quite pricey|
|➕ Compact and portable||➖ Average image resolution|
|➕ Good battery life|
- Remarkable Clarity and Contrast: DLP's advanced IntelliBright algorithms deliver remarkably bright (100 ANSI lumens), vivid picture up to 100 inches big. Recommended for use in dimmer environments.
- 360° Speaker: Equipped with a powerful omnidirectional speaker to pump out sound in every direction.
- Super Portable: A seamless aluminum body ensures greater durability and a meager 15 oz weight to effortlessly go wherever you do.
- Android 7.1: Run Streaming and media apps flawlessly. Seamlessly display content from Netflix, Youtube, and more for endless entertainment.
- NOTE: Copyrighted content from Hulu, Netflix, and similar services CAN NOT be mirrored or screencast. Download and use the apps directly through Capsule to view copyrighted content from these...
The best portable projector
Projection system: DLP | Brightness: 550 lumens | Inputs: HDMI, USB, VGA | Dimensions: 109 x 174 x 44mm | Resolution: 1,280 x 720 | 4K support: No
If the Nebula Capsule is the best mini projector, the opposite side of that coin is the Minibeam from LG which is a great portable projector. With a more conventional design, the Minibeam has no power cable, using a rechargeable battery, and can provide a Bluetooth screen and sound mirroring from your phone, tablet, or laptop.
Your work can also be displayed directly from a USB stick or through an HDMI input. The versatility this projector has makes it a great option if you’re constantly going from one presentation to another.
|➕ Good image quality and brightness||➖ Its remote control can be improved on|
|➕ Sleek and stylish design||➖ Unable to zoom in or out to change image resolution|
|➕ Lightweight and compact|
|➕ Has a rechargeable internal battery|
- HD (1280 x 720)
- Wireless connection (with Android O/S, WiDi)
- Bluetooth sound out
- Built-in battery (upto 2.5 hours)
- Upto 550 lumens
The best projector for mid-sized rooms
Projection system: DLP | Resolutions: 1280 x 800 | Brightness: 4,000 lumens | Video inputs: Composite, HDMI, VGA | 4K support: Yes
An LCD-based projector, the NP-ME401W from NEC is a quality piece of technology with its high Lumens rating, excellent data and image quality, as well as its robust set of available connection inputs. You may likely have seen this projector in other board rooms, as it tends to be a popular choice.
The only downside is that it doesn’t project 3D content. If that isn’t an issue for your work, the NEC Display Solutions projector can handle just about anything you can throw at it.
|➕ Good image quality and brightness||➖ Not compatible with 3D content|
|➕ Works well with videos even though it’s a data projector|
|➕ Reasonable price|
- 20W audio
- Advanced accublend
- Auto power on
- Built-in wall color correction
A great video projector for home theaters
Projection system: LCD technology | Resolutions: 1920 x 1080 | Brightness: 3000 lumens | Video inputs: HDMI, USB, Mini USB | 4K support: Yes
Epson has a history of hitting it out of the park when it comes to video projectors, and with the Epson Home Cinema 3800, they continue that streak.
This well-made projector from Epson comes with 4K PRO-UHD Projection technology, an impressive 3000 lumens, built-in stereo speakers, and aptx Bluetooth. With these specs, you are sure to stage bright and colorful video quality.
With 18Gbps HDMI support, as well as a 100,000:1 contrast ratio, this projector can fare well even when projecting 60fps video games and videos. With a precision lens and 4k support, the Epson Home Cinema 3800 is a smart buy.
|➕ Outstanding image quality||➖ The black levels could be better|
|➕ Can project even 60fps videos well||➖ Frame interpolation cannot be used in 4k or 1080p|
|➕ Low input lag makes it great for gamers|
|➕ Excellent setup flexibility|
|➕ Has the same color modes for both 2D and 3D modes|
- 4K PRO-UHD (1) Projection technology — a new type of 4K home theater experience, utilizing advanced technologies for resolution Enhancement, color and image processing
- True 3-chip projector design — Advanced 3LCD technology displays 100 percent of the RGB color signal for every frame without any “rainbow effect” or color brightness issues
- 4K resolution processing — pixel-shifting technology precisely controls three individual, high-definition LCD chips to parallel process millions of pixels
- Full 10-bit HDR (2) — accepts 100 percent of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR content for an amazing visual performance, Plus hog support
- Digital video processing — Real-time, 12-bit analog-to-digital video processing for smooth tonal transitions; helps eliminate banding, blocking and other compression artifacts from the final visual...
The best budget projector
Projection system: TFT LCD technology | Resolutions: 1920 x 1080 | Brightness: 340 ANSI lumens | Video inputs: HDMI / USB / VGA / AV / SD card /Bluetooth | 4K support: Yes
The Artlii Energon 2 Outdoor Projector is one of the most affordable, high-quality projectors on the market right now. This impressive machine comes with 4k support and can connect using 5G WiFi.
Even though Artlii is not as popular or well known as some of the other companies on this list, this one certainly packs a lot of punch. The Energon 2 Outdoor Projector has 340 ANSI lumens, surpassing even a 9000-lumen projector! Making it an affordable option for outdoor usage and great for streaming movies on a projector.
This device is also very accessible, allowing you to stream movies straight from your laptop, tablet, or mobile device using Bluetooth and 5G capability. With over 1920 x 1080 resolution, this projector is an absolute steal.
|➕ Outstanding price point||➖ Cannot stream copyrighted software from apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu from mobile devices|
|➕ Bright, and sharp resolution||➖ Slightly noisy|
|➕ Sturdy build|
|➕ Mirrors mobile devices|
|➕ Easy and flexible connectivity|
- 【🔥 Native 1080P, UHD support 4K】Artlii Energon 2 home projector is the latest wifi video projector in 2022, using the original physical resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, support 4K and 5 layers...
- 【🔥 340 ANSI lumens & 17 Million Color Range】Improved with Mstar performance chip and TFT LCD technology, Artlii Energon 2 provides 340 ANSI lumens brightness, much brighter and more colorful...
- 【🔥 Fast & Stable 2.4G/5G WiFi & Bluetooth Connection】 With Latest WiFi Connection, Artlii Energon 2 enables you to synchronize smartphone screen by both 2.4G and 5G WiFi, Ultra-fast 5G WiFi...
- 【🔥250 '' large image experiment, Image zoom 60% to 100%】Artlii outdoor projector offers a display 44" - 250 ", projector distance is 5ft-27ft. Aspect ratio is 4:3/16:9/Auto. Manual ± 15 °...
- 【🔥Versatile Digital Connectivity】 Artlii home theater projector supports HDMI / USB / VGA / AV / SD card / audio output 3.5mm / Bluetooth. It can be connected not only wireless but also wired....
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best video projector overall?
The best video projector overall is the BenQ HT3550.
What are some of the best 4k projectors under $2000?
What is the best projector for outdoor movies?
The best projector for outdoor movies would be the Artlii Energon 2 Outdoor Projector.
What is the best short throw projector?
The Viewsonic PJD7828HDL is the best short throw projector.
What is a good home theater projector with Bluetooth?
Is there any way to broadcast Chromecast to the projector?
Yes! Using a Chromecast dongle, Bluetooth connection, or even an HDMI are great ways to broadcast Chromecast to the projector.
Can you watch Netflix on your projector?
Yes, you can! However, some projectors don’t allow you to broadcast directly from mobile devices, and in these cases, you might use a laptop or a smart device like a firestick that connects directly via HDMI.
What is the best video projector under $500?
One great option under $500 is the Artlii Energon 2 Outdoor Projector.
How do I choose a good projector?
Price point, lumens, resolution, and overall color accuracy are factors you should pay close attention to when picking a projector.
- 17 Essential Tools for Designers
- Best chromebooks for designers
- Best computers for designers
- Best Macbooks for designers
- Best laptops for designers
- Best laptops for programming & coding
- Best budget laptops for designers
Top Gear for Video Editing
- Best monitors for editing video
- Best laptops for video editing
- Best computers for video editing
- Best external hard drives
More Top Gear for Designers
- Best printers for designers
- Best monitors for designers
- Best tablets for designers
- Best Huion tablets for designers
- Best mouse for designers
- Best earphones for music-lovers
- Best cameras for designers
- Best microphones for designers
- Best office chairs for designers
- Best external hard drives for designers
- Best monitor calibrators for designers
- Best pens for creatives
- Best phones for designers & creatives
The Best Video Projectors in 2022
There are so many different options out there when you start looking around at projectors you can use with your work. By making sure that the one you choose meets all of your needs, you can have a long and successful relationship with your projector. We hope our list of the Best Projectors in 2022 not only put a spotlight on some of the best ones out there but also gave you some ideas for when you choose your own.
What do you consider the best projector? Let us know in the comments below.