Charging your device wirelessly is an ingenious invention when you think about it.
Simply placing your smartphone or smart device on a pad to let electricity flow through the grid in the charger and into your device while you sleep must have seemed like something out of Star Trek even a decade ago.
While using a wireless charger is incredibly simple, picking the one that is best for your needs can be challenging. Options such as design, power level, and form factor can affect the effectiveness of the charging device.
With so many options out there, we wanted to focus on the best wireless chargers for smart phones & smart devices and wanted to start by taking a look at some things to consider before buying a wireless charger.
The Best Wireless Chargers for Smart Phones & Devices
Most of these wireless chargers are compatible with Apple and Android devices including iPhones, Apple Watch,
- Belkin Wireless Charging Dock – The best dock for iPhone and Apple Watch owners (Editor’s Choice)
- Anker PowerWave Pad – An amazingly affordable wireless charger
- Samsung Fast Charging Station – A stand up charger with a unique design
- Mophie Power Station Wireless XL – The most versatile portable wireless charger
- Mophie Wireless Charge Pad – The best wireless charger for iPhone
- Belkin BoostCharge Wireless Charging Pad – The best wireless charger for Qi-enabled devices
You may also want to check out the best power banks.
What is the best wireless charger?
How to Buy the Best Wireless Charger for Your Needs
Buying a wireless charger sounds like an easy process but choosing the wrong one can affect the device’s charging capabilities. To help, we wanted to look at some things to consider before purchasing so that you have all of the information you need going in.
Watts the big deal?
The first item on our list is also the one that can make things a bit tricky, This is because the type of phone you have and its power compatibility can have a major effect on how efficient and fast a wireless charger powers up your phone. The fastest-charging wireless phones can handle 10 watts, which will allow your phone to recharge in about three hours, although it can vary.
To get the fastest wireless charger for your phone, 10 watts is generally all you need. This is especially true for phones like the Pixel 3 and the Samsung Galaxy line of phones. iPhones are currently capped at 7.5-watt wireless charging so buying a future-proof charger is a great idea.
Choose a design
Wireless chargers are available in two different designs. The first is a pad that lays flat on a table or your desk. The second option is a stand design that holds your phone at a semi-upright angle which still lets you see the screen. While everyone will have their preference between the two, both can be good options even if you have one at home and one at the office. For many people, being able to see the screen without picking up the phone while its charging can be what helps them decide.
Choose a brand
While it’s become increasingly common for phone manufacturers to make their own wireless chargers, the brand you choose isn’t as important as the company’s reputation. Some of the bigger names include Mophie, Belkin, and Anker. There are times when buying a first-party charger can be beneficial. For example, the Pixel Stand will turn your phone into a digital photo frame and makeshift alarm clock.
Pick a charger-compatible case
Like first-party chargers, phone manufacturers have started making phone cases for them to work properly with wireless charging pads. Some companies, like Belkin, put out guidelines on their product pages that indicate the qualities that could prevent a wireless charger case from charging your phone correctly.
What about portable chargers?
When you’re carrying your gadgets around, having a portable battery pack is essential. There are some great wireless options out there and being able to charge your device wirelessly when you either forget or lose your charging cable but charging this way is slow and inefficient. This means that using a wireless battery pack isn’t always the best option if you need to give your device a quick charge.
The Best Wireless Chargers for iPhone, Android, Apple Watch
1. Belkin Wireless Charging Dock (Editor’s Choice)
The best dock for iPhone and Apple Watch owners
Maximum wattage: 7.5W (phone)
Many people who own an iPhone will more than likely also own an Apple Watch because of the connectivity between the two that keeps iPhone users from having to carry it around all the time. With this added peripheral, comes another battery to charge. Now you could have two separate chargers for these and that’s fine but allow us to recommend the Wireless Charging Dock from Belkin.
Most other chargers can’t service the Apple Watch, making this item a rarity. An upright phone stand charges your phone while a circular watch nub, reminiscent of the charging nub that comes with your watch, plus the magnet that clips the watch into place. If you’re looking for a faster charger, you may want to look elsewhere, especially if you own an Android phone. If you already own an Apple Watch, you likely have an iPhone and this is a great charger for both of them.
|➕ Steady and reliable charging||➖ Stops charging with moderate movement|
|➕ No overheating issues||➖ Adapter not provided|
|➕ Convenient to use|
|➕ Apple watch compatible|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- The Belkin Difference: Number 1 third party maker of wireless charging accessories
- All in 1 Apple charging solution designed for iPhone + Apple Watch + iPad/ Air Pods
- Delivers fastest possible wireless charging speed for Qi enabled iPhones at 7.5W and Apple Watch at 5W
- Supports nightstand mode/alarm clock feature for Apple Watch while charging
- Additional USB A port charges a third device, including iPad, air pods and more (cable not included)
An amazingly affordable wireless charger
Maximum wattage: 10W
Even though having a wireless charger is a great way to charge your phone, when you’re on the road having a backup in case something happens is important. Spending a lot on a backup charger is necessary with the PowerWave Pad from Anker.
While this version doesn’t come with an AC adapter, the price is too good not to consider it. While the speed that it powers up your phone is pretty impressive for the price. All in all, the PowerWave Pad is aiming to provide consumers with a basic wireless charger at a very affordable price making it an excellent choice as a backup charger.
|➕ Large area to place phone correctly||➖ Wall adapter not included|
|➕ 10W charging capability on supported phones||➖ Silicone-covered pad attracts dust|
|➕ Works well with many phone cases|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- The Anker Advantage: Enjoyed by over 50 million users worldwide, our leading technology will change the way you charge.
- Complete Charging Convenience: Instantly charge your phone or earbuds simply by placing them in the center of PowerWave Pad. Never fuss around with plugging and unplugging cables again, just set down...
- Universal Compatibility: PowerWave Pad provides 10W output for Samsung Galaxy, 7.5W for iPhone, and 5W for other phones or wireless earbuds (including AirPods).
- Through-Case Charging: Don't fumble with your phone case. PowerWave charges directly through protective cases up to 5 mm thick (not including cases with magnetic or metal attachments).
- What You Get: PowerWave Pad, 4 ft Micro USB Cable, welcome guide, worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.
A stand up charger with a unique design
Maximum wattage: 10W
While there are a lot of different options out there for a wireless charging stand so you can still use your phone while it charges, very few have a unique design like the Fast Charge Charging Pad from Samsung.
Along with its unique design, the stand has cooling technology inside of it so it doesn’t overheat your phone and can easily reach some pretty impressive high charging speeds with a maximum of 10 watts. To add to its uniqueness, the pad is also available in different colors. It comes in white, grey, and black so you can match the device to your surroundings or your phone.
|➕ Good charging speed for fast charge devices||➖ Some Samsung-only features available|
|➕ Nice and compact build||➖ Slower than wired charging|
|➕ LED status lights|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Supports wireless charging on all Qi universal standard smartphones. Qi certified by wireless power Consortium (WPC). Qi certified for Tested and safe wireless charging
- Control fan and LED light with your phone by powering on/off using your Galaxy phone.
- Us version includes: 1 year manufacturer warranty and wall charger
- Fast Charge Compatibility-Galaxy S10e, S10, S10+, Note10, Note10+, Note9, S9, S9+, Note8, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, S6 Edge+
The most versatile portable wireless charger
Maximum wattage: 5W
While being able to use a wireless charger is a great option, being able to take it with you wherever you go is an even better one. That’s what the PowerStation wireless XXL 10K Battery from Mophie offers. As part wireless charger, part power bank, you can toss this 20,000mAh battery pack into your bag, take it with you and when your phone needs a charge, simply place the device on top to charge it, without plugging the battery pack in.
When you have more than one device that needs charging but doesn’t work wirelessly, simply plug in a cable to the device. While the charging speeds aren’t lightning fast, the ability to charge multiple devices on the go makes the PowerStation the most versatile option on our list.
|➕ Extremely portable||➖ Doesn’t support non-Apple devices|
|➕ Fast lightning input||➖ Costlier than competitors|
|➕ Multi-device charging capability|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Qi-enabled wireless charging conveniently charge your Qi-enabled smartphone without the need to fuss with cables.
- 10, 000mAh portable battery PowerStation wireless portable batteries can extend the life of your iPhone up to 48 hours* when charged through the USB port.
- Charges through lightweight cases PowerStation wireless portable batteries can deliver a charge through cases up to 3mm thick.
- Priority+ Charging charges your wireless smartphone before the PowerStation starts to recharge itself
- CER-0294 CERT_PWRSTION-WRLS-10K_ETL
The best wireless charger for iPhone
Maximum wattage: 10W
Optimized for iPhone with 7.5 Watts of power to provide you with a fast-charging speed, the Mophie Wireless Charge Pad has a rubbery grip surface so your phone won’t slip off. While Mophie is known for its high-quality charging products, getting a seal of approval from Apple only adds to its credibility.
Even though it’s optimized for your iPhone, any of your colleagues who use Android phones can still get a quick charge thanks to the Qi wireless charging technology that it uses. If you own an iPhone and are tired of fumbling around for wires to charge your phone, you owe it to yourself to give the Wireless Charge Pad from Mophie a try.
|➕ Fast charging-speed||➖ More expensive than most competitors|
|➕ Anti-slip grip|
|➕ USB-A support on the back|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- Compatible with Qi wireless charging standards; The morphine charge stream pad plus delivers a safe and reliable 10W charge to Qi-enabled smartphones.
- Fast charge compatible: Compatible with both Apple and Samsung fast charge, this wireless charging pad delivers the fastest possible charge.
- Charges through lightweight cases: The morphine charge stream pad plus can charge through phone cases of up to 3 millimeter, which reduces the need to constantly remove your case.
- Small, compact & non-slip grip: The low-profile design is perfect for charging at home, the office, or on the road. A 360-degree rubberized non-slip TPU coating protects the device from scratching....
- Safe & worry-free charging: Fail-safe circuitry engineered into the morphine charge stream pad plus prevents over-charging and controls temperature to prevent overheating
The best wireless charger for Qi-enabled devices
Maximum wattage: 15W
The Belkin BoostCharge 15W wireless charger is the stuff of dreams for gadget lovers. Coming in with a maximum wattage of 15W for Qi-enabled devices, the Belkin BoostCharge covers some of the top smartphone models, making it no less versatile than Mophie Power Station Wireless XXL.
The charger includes a 24W Quick Charge 3.0 power supply unit and LED light indicators for the charging status. The non-slip charging pad is engineered to work with lightweight plastic cases up to 3mm thick, enabling charging without removing the case. If you own multiple Qi-enabled devices, you should give the Belkin BoostCharge a shot.
|➕ Use with phone cases||➖ Only compatible with newer phones|
|➕ Non-slip charging pad|
|➕ Versatile charging pad|
Latest Price on Amazon:
- The Belkin Difference: #1 third party maker of wireless charging accessories
- Fast wireless charging up to 15 W for Qi enabled devices, including iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Google Pixel and more*
- Simplify and unclutter your workspace with the convenience of wireless charging
- Charges through lightweight plastic cases up to 3 mm
- Designed for Qi enabled devices, including iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 12 Mini, SE, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra, S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Pixel 4, 4XL, AirPods, and...
Best Wireless Charger for Smartphones and Devices Summary
There are innumerable wireless chargers available in the market for smartphones and other devices. However, the products mentioned above are our top picks of all of them. These chargers are one of a kind, be it in versatility, or design, or ease on pocket, or the quality.
So which wireless charger should you pick? Well, this solely depends on your device and needs. If you own an iPhone, chances are you might also have the Apple Gear, in which case, you shall go for the Belkin charging dock. Similarly, if you are looking for a budget wireless charger, Anker is the right one for you. We’re confident that you can find a product on this list that will meet your basic requirements for a wireless charger.
Frequently Asked Questions
How bad is wireless charging for your phone?
Wireless chargers stop transmitting power once the device is fully charged. However, this doesn’t mean that wireless chargers do not harm your phone. When charging your phone for a long period using a wireless charger, the heat produced by the charger may still hurt your device.
Can I charge my phone overnight using a wireless charger?
Samsung does not recommend overnight wireless charging of your phone. There have been reports that when the charge drops to 99%, it requires more energy to reach the 100% mark. Otherwise, there is no significant impact from charging your phone overnight using a wireless charger.
Which one is faster - wired or wireless charging?
Typically, wired charging is faster and more efficient than wireless charging. While a wired phone charger could charge a smartphone in close to 90 mins, a wireless charger takes double the time, thus consuming more power to charge the device fully.
Best Wireless Chargers for Smart Phones & Smart Devices
Being able to charge anything wirelessly these days is amazing. So amazing that the idea of wired chargers may soon become a thing of the past. With our list of the best wireless chargers for creatives, maybe we have convinced you to ditch the cord and pick up a wireless charger to keep your devices running at a full charge.
Do you have a wireless charger that you take with you everywhere? Is it not on our list? Let us know about it in the comments below.
More Top Gear for Designers
- Best printers for designers
- Best monitors for designers
- Best tablets for designers
- Best Huion tablets for designers
- Best mouse for designers
- Best cameras for designers
- Best microphones for designers
- Best office chairs for designers
- Best external hard drives for designers
- Best monitor calibrators for designers
- Best pens for creatives
- Best phones for designers & creatives
- Best smartphone tripods