Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are gaining popularity over the past few years, with billions in trading volume and a quick hike of celebrity endorsements shooting artwork to the forefront of mainstream media outlets. You can create NFTs directly on NFT platforms, enabling you to mint (create or produce something) and upload your artwork to a blockchain.
The minting costs can be a major turn-off for inexperienced creators looking to test the waters with NFT. The good news is that you can avoid all the costs associated with NFT minting by creating your first NFT for free.
Creating your NFT for free is ideal if you are a beginner and want to enter the world of NFTs without taking many risks. So, in this article, we’ll show you how to create an NFT for free. We’ll also provide helpful NFT marketing tips and answers to frequently asked questions about NFTs.
Step 1: Decide on the Type You Want to Create
NFTs are typically tied to a piece of digital art. It could be an image, an audio production (like a song), or even a short video clip (like an animated GIF). As with selling paintings at an art gallery, the goal is to create a unique piece of digital media you can sell.
Creators benefit from NFTs because they are unique, something that can’t be duplicated. However, creating an NFT from media, you don’t own may have legal ramifications if you don’t own the rights to it.
Step 2: Choose Your Preferred Blockchain
Your NFT can be stored on more than one blockchain. The blockchain will keep a permanent record of your NFT, so choosing the one that fits your needs is important.
There are thousands of NFT collections on Ethereum, the most popular NFT blockchain. In Ethereum NFTs, the metadata of the NFT is stored on the blockchain via the ERC-721 standard. Developed by the ERC-20 smart contract, this standard defines the minimum interface for exchanging and distributing gaming tokens, including ownership details, security details, and metadata—required for exchanging and distributing gaming tokens.
Polygon is a Layer 2 solution if you’re looking for an Ethereum alternative. You can use this instead of deploying to the Ethereum network to launch your Smart Contracts on the polygon network. In addition, there are no upfront gas costs when using Polygon on OpenSea.
Solana is the next closest blockchain to Ethereum after Polygon. Solana was made to be a faster, cheaper alternative to Ethereum. Transaction fees are less than $0.01, and the number of apps that support NFTs is growing. Solana also uses proof-of-history (PoH) and proof-of-stake (PoS) consensus mechanisms, and its transaction speeds are much faster than those of Ethereum.
Step 3: Set Up Your NFT Wallet
Once you’ve decided on a blockchain, you’ll need a digital wallet that supports that blockchain to store your NFT. To create a wallet, download the crypto wallet app, enter a username and password, and back up your private keys and recovery phrase offline.
Several well-known wallet apps support different blockchains:
MetaMask: The common cryptocurrency wallet MetaMask supports the Ethereum and Solana blockchains. Both a standalone mobile app and a browser add-on are available for it.
Coinbase Wallet: The ERC-721 NFT tokens and Solana NFT collections can be stored in Coinbase’s digital wallet. It is available as a mobile app or as a browser add-on.
Ledger Nano X: You can store your NFT in a safe hardware wallet, both Ethereum, Polygon, and other NFTs work with the Ledger Nano X.
Step 4: Choose an NFT Platform
The long list of NFT platforms enables you to create an NFT, but the best ones provide a complete marketplace to list and sell NFTs. Popular NFT platforms include:
OpenSea: By far, the most popular NFT platform is OpenSea. It has more than $20 billion in trading volume since its launch in 2017 and more than 2 million NFT collections listed, OpenSea is the top platform for Ethereum-based NFTs. Additionally, OpenSea launched support for Solana NFTs in July 2022.
Rarible: The Rarible NFT marketplace has many features that today’s digital asset creators and artists will appreciate. Furthermore, the token is a dependable way to provide NFT traders on the platform with an incentive to mine market liquidity. RARI tokens can be used to buy or sell NFTs on Rarible. Rarible is an NFT marketplace run by the community, complete with its governance token. It provides more ways to track artwork than OpenSea. Hence, we will use Rarible for minting NFTs in this article.
How to Mint an NFT for Free
There are currently two ways by which you can mint or create NFTs for free. They are lazy minting and creating NFT for free using the Polygon Blockchain.
Lazy minting doesn’t take away the fees of minting NFTS. The idea behind lazy minting is that NFT creators can mint NFT for free without having to pay a fee at the outset. The buyer, on the other hand, the buyer pays the fees at the time of purchase. OpenSea, Rarible, Binance NFT, Nifty Gateway, and other NFT marketplaces that provide the lazy minting feature include:
The process of lazy minting an NFT is identical to regular NFT minting. In this guide, we’ll use Rarible as an example to explain the process of lazy minting. You can “lazy mint” on Ethereum if you don’t want to pay transaction fees. If you do, you will not have to pay any fees to mint your NFT. However, be aware that your first buyer will pay a higher fee for lazy-minted NFTs. Hence, once you’ve grown a big NFT community, it will be less difficult to sell your NFTs if you pay minting fees.
Also read our article on How Much Does It Costs to Mint an NFT
How to Create NFT for Free on Rarible.
#1: Create a Rarible Account
- Go to the Rarible website on your web browser.
- Click the “Connect Wallet” tab at the top right corner of the Rarible homepage.
- Rarible will ask you to select a cryptocurrency wallet so you may access their website. You can use any of your wallets, either trust or MetaMask wallet. If you are choosing the MetaMask, when you select the MetaMask option, MetaMask will ask you for your password.
- Enter your password when prompted, then click “Unlock.” (ensure you choose a strong password)
- A pop-up will then request your login confirmation. Here, you must first choose your account and then click “next.”
- You must click the “connect” button to complete the website login process.
- After this process, you can then go ahead with creating your NFT.
#2: Turn Your Art into NFT
- Once you’ve connected your MetaMask wallet, the Rarible website will take you to a page where you’ll choose either to create a single NFT or an NFT collection.
- Select the option to create a single NFT.( when you get conversant with minting NFTs, you can go for the NFT collection)
- At this point, you should have the art you want to turn into an NFT ready. It could be an image, song, video, 3D art, Avatars, tickets, or your website name.
- Select “pick file” and upload the media file.
- Next, you can set the price you want your NFT to sell. You also have various options, such as holding an auction, choosing the coin you want to accept for your NFT, and just listing your NFT on the marketplace.
- After you’ve gone through all these options, select the “Free Minting” option.
- Next is for you to add more details about your NFT, such as name, description, desired royalties, and more.
- Finally, click the “create item” to complete the NFT creation process.
- After this, you will receive pop-ups that show your NFT creation is in progress. But before completing the creation process, Rarible will establish a contract with your wallet to register your NFT. Select the “sign” button on MetaMask whenever this Rarible contract appears.
- You’ve created your first NFT for free!
How to Create NFT for Free Using Polygon Blockchain
This is the second way to create NFT for free.
Polygon is a blockchain designed specifically for Ethereum. It is compatible with all current and future Ethereum infrastructures. Polygon is superior to Ethereum NFTs because it has a high transfer rate and industry-low transfer fees and works with all types of blockchain networks. In addition, it is simple to create new NFTs, buy them, and change who owns them on the Polygon blockchain.
Polygon’s features, for example, make it very useful if you want to do a promotional giveaway or start creating your NFTs. What’s more, it’s free. Because the value of the native token MATIC hasn’t changed much during various crypto crashes, you can sell NFTs on the Polygon blockchain at the same price as Ethereum. The Polygon blockchain is also a good choice for NFTs that change based on how users interact with them due to its low gas fees.
While shifting NFT minting costs to the buyer may appear to be a good way to eliminate the cost of NFT production for creators, it is still not completely free. Using the Polygon-Matic blockchain to eliminate minting fees is a completely free alternative. When registering NFTs on the Polygon blockchain, users are not required to pay transaction fees.
So, how can you create an NFT using the Polygon blockchain?
First, you’ll need a MetaMask wallet. However, you’ll first need to make some adjustments to your MetaMask wallet.
#1: Add Polygon-Matic Network to MetaMask Wallet
All MetaMask wallet accounts operate by default on the Ethereum network. But, this minting process requires a wallet on the Polygon blockchain to mint an NFT there. Consequently, you’ll have to add the Polygon Network to your MetaMask Wallet account.
In addition, adding the Polygon Network to your MetaMask wallet won’t affect your security key and password, so don’t worry about your crypto security details.
Here’s what you need to do when adding Polygon Network to your MetaMask wallet:
- Open your browser and tap the MetaMask extension icon. It can be under the extensions menu or next to your menu button in the top right corner of your browser.
- After that, type in your password to unlock the wallet. The “Ethereum Mainnet” option is in MetaMask’s upper-right corner. After clicking it, go to the menu and choose “Add Network.”.
- The MetaMask dashboard will appear when you click the “add network” button in a new tab. The extension will ask you to put in this information to describe your network. Enter the information below precisely in each column:
Network Name: Polygon
New RPC URL: https://polygon-rpc.com
Chain ID: 137
Currency Symbol: MATIC
Block Explorer URL: https://polygonscan.com/
- To register the Polygon network, click the “Save” button.
You’ve already added the Polygon blockchain to your MetaMask wallet. All that is left to do is locate an NFT marketplace that accepts Polygon and produces NFT without charges. For this, we recommend using OpenSea. First, however, you’ll need to set up an account to get started.
#2: Create an OpenSea Account
OpenSea was one of the earliest NFT marketplaces to support NFTs created with the Polygon blockchain, making it the best option for free NFT minting on the Polygon network.
The OpenSea account setup process is similar to and simple as Rarible’s. Here’s an easy tutorial on how to set up your OpenSea account:
- Launch the MetaMask browser application and go to the OpenSea main page.
- Click the “create” button in the top right corner of this page or OpenSea website’s homepage.
- OpenSea will now prompt you to select a wallet for registration.
- Select MetaMask by clicking it. It will cause the extension to request your permission.
- To create your account, click the “next” button, followed by the “sign” option.
- Double-check that your Matic/Polygon account is displayed in place of the Ethereum account.
- You can easily switch to Polygon if your MetaMask add-on was still running on Ethereum in the previous stage.
- To do this, select the MetaMask extension and then the “Ethereum Mainnet” option from the drop-down menu that appears.
- You can now see your freshly opened personalized Polygon network here. To join that network, click the name of the network.
#3: Create Free Polygon NFT
- OpenSea will invite you to upload your media file once your account is ready. You may post pixel art, 3D art, and avatars here.
- To upload a media file, click the empty box next to the upload option.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page after entering these details. Here, choose Polygon from the drop-down menu under the blockchain section rather than Ethereum.
- Then, to save your NFT, click the “create” button.
- When the NFT is prepared, list it in the marketplace by clicking the “sell” button in the upper right corner. Remember that once it goes on sale, you won’t be able to change it anymore.
- You can input the item’s price in Ethereum on the listing dashboard. Due to its enormous popularity, OpenSea now only permits you to list it for six months. You can also establish custom amounts if you want to sell more than one copy from your NFT supply.
- After finishing the remaining entries, select “Complete Listing” from the menu.
- To list the NFT, OpenSea will require you to sign a contract and approve a transaction. You won’t pay anything for either of these.
- When the MetaMask pop-up appears, first click the “unlock” button and then click the “approve” button. Second, select “sign” on OpenSea and select “sign” from the MetaMask pop-up menu.
Your NFT will immediately be listed for sale on OpenSea, showing the price you tagged to your NFT and the time you created it.
Listing Your NFT For Sale
Listing an NFT for sale is easy, and it’s free for most of this NFT platforms. Once you create your NFT , and in your wallet, you can simply hit the “sell” button on the platform of your choice and choose the price you wish to list it at and how long you want the sale to last.
Once the details of your sale are filled in, you can create the listing. This will require you to sign a few transactions in your digital wallet, which may include paying transaction fees on your chosen blockchain. Since Polygon networks are cheaper, you can pay fewer fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does it Take to Make an NFT?
Following the steps in this guide article, creating an NFT would take less than 30 minutes. The actual minting, on the other hand, the actual minting takes only a few minutes. This is because most of the time is spent creating the digital asset.
What Makes a Good NFT?
The major difference between the good NFTs that succeed and those that flop is utility. What value does your NFT provide for the buyers more than just as a collectible?
Additionally, it's critical to consider your secondary market before creating an NFT.
Does Copyright protect NFTs?
Yes, unless they fall under the purview of fair use laws. Copyright is granted when an image, sound-byte, video, document, or other original work is created. However, the creator owns the Copyright. Purchasing an NFT does not transfer ownership of the creator's Copyright.
Are NFTs Difficult to Sell?
Most newbie digital artists are so focused on creating their first NFTs that they overlook the importance of selling the NFT.
It isn't easy to market an NFT if you do not already have an audience. You must find your buyers, just like anything else, and they will not appear because you posted something on a website or marketplace.
This article has provided a detailed explanation of how new NFT creators can create an NFT for free. It is possible to set up an NFT without paying any fees. However, if you want to sell your creations, you must ensure that they are unique and provide value to your target audience.