Designer In The Spotlight (DITS) is a weekly feature that I run every Sunday (or more) to help particular individuals in the design community get their name ‘out there’ and to educate the community as a whole. It is a series of questions that asks the designer about themselves and their job as a designer. If you would like to be featured in an upcoming DITS post fill out the form here.
1. Please tell us more about yourself, your background, education and what you do as a designer.
My name is Fabio Sasso and I’m a graphic/web designer from Brazil. I graduated in Graphic Design in 2003 but I’ve been working on web design projects since 1999. Nowadays I’ve been working more on graphic design projects because of my blog.
2. How long have you been designing and what made you become an artist / designer?
When I was kid I was always drawing, even though I wasn’t able to draw really well, I always liked that. Then in 1992 my brother and I got our first computer, that was something totally new. We used to play video-games and had Atari, Genesis and other consoles but that thing was different… One year later I was playing already with Corel Draw and that really impressed me. I couldn’t stop since then.
3. How did you market yourself in the beginning of your design career and how has that differed to how you market yourself now?
In the beginning I used to do nothing, I had some friends that I did some works for them and they recommended me to some of their friends. Pretty local, but it worked well. Then after 2006 when my office was robbed and I needed money to restart everything I decided that I should start promoting myself a bit better. So I started joining all the communities and forums and I also started my blog to help on that too… Now it is starting to work.
For those you still starting out, you may want to read How To Get Your First Job.
4. What are your tools of the trade? This could include hardware, software and traditional tools.
I have a Macbook Pro, second generation with 3gb of RAM and I use it with another 22” Monitor. I use the CS3 apps and for coding I use textmate and CSSEdit.
5. Where do you work and what is your daily routine?
I work from home and I really like that 😉 I usually wake up at 6:15 AM and spend 2 hours reading my feeds. Then I work on the blog and other projects until 5-6PM. After that it’s time for a good exercise, so I go to the Gym. After 2 hours I get back home and work on some tutorials or personal projects till 11:30PM.
6. How do you manage the business side of design such as accounting, invoicing and bookkeeping?
That’s very complicated, I’m terrible at that. I’m trying to organize everything at the moment. For invoicing, I’ve been using the PayPal tool a lot.
7. Where do you get your inspiration and how do you keep up to date with what is happening in the industry?
I subscribe to tons of feeds from big and small design sites… it helps me to get up to date with what is happening.
8. Can you please guide us through a typical project from start to finish.
That would take a lot of time…As usual it goes like this:
1 – Briefing
2 – Audience/Goal
3 – References, competitors, and inspiration.
4 – Drafts/concepts
5 – First Design
6 – Feed Back
7 – Final design or more reviews.
9. What are your top 3 websites / books and why?
10. What is the biggest piece of advice you would give to someone just starting out?
I think the most important thing is to love the whole design process, from the beginning to the end. That really helps when you have to start something from the scratch or review some steps. Also practice and share your experience with the others, it’s a nice way to recycle your thoughts and get more point of views.
Thank you Fabio for taking the time to fill out this interview! If you want to be featured as the next Designer In The Spotlight, fill out this form.