In this 90-minute class, master designer Aaron Draplin shares tried and true techniques for customizing type – an essential skill for graphic designers of all levels.
Follow Draplin along as he digs for antique typographic references and then creates several type treatments of his own to design merchandise for Portland, his beloved hometown.
Once you master customizing type, you’ll have a powerful skill in your design toolkit for every branding, logo, and visual styling project that comes your way.
Draplin teaches you to avoid “default” typeface settings and to take ownership of your design by managing the forms, in-between spaces, and relationships of the letters you’re working with.
Draplin’s lessons cover:
- Discovering reference material
- Kerning – owning the space between characters
- Customizing letterforms
- Sketching type from scratch
- Prepping a file for print (and even finding a good promotional item vendor to work with!)
- PLUS bonus segments on adding texture and rebuilding typefaces from scratch
Get a free month of Skillshare Premium
If you’ve already signed up to Skillshare, this class is free for you. Otherwise, you can get access to this course and 14,000 more classes with Skillshare Premium.