Well the past week has been another stressful one with all my websites being offline for 10 days in total. There has been a multitude of problems with both my new and old web hosts which has caused this.
You may have remembered last month I wrote an article on the dangers of WordPress plugins and your host and how I was temporarily suspended from my hosting provider due to me using too much computer power…
Well this happened again, however, this time I was totally banned and terminated (for breaching their policy twice) – this meant my website (and emails) was taken offline without any prior notice what so ever. (Tip: Do not use Ultra Surge for a blog). A good hosting provider would have temporarily changed my hosting to another server so that I did not have any downtime at all – however, the saying is true, you get what you pay for and I was only paying USD$3.99 a month.
This left me to do a bit of research, of which I had already done when my account was suspended the first time. I came across an Australian company called Solid Internet which I had heard was quite good (though not so cheap – $20/m) and had good reviews so I signed up with them straight away – but luck was not on my side.
Luck was not on my side
Soon as I signed up with Solid Internet, the server that I had uploaded my backup to went down, which I was told was by sheer coincidence. It took them 4 days to sort out the mess, during which my website was still offline.
I then finally got my new website uploaded again to the new server however when I did this, it wasn’t as easy as it sounds, they had to configure usernames and emails and so fourth so this took a couple more days and I am still coming across small problems, for example I can’t log into my control panel but can log into ftp? Hopefully these will be sorted out in the next couple of days.
Update: I have received an email from Solid Internet about my Cpanel/Email problem and is now fixed.
I’ve determined the root cause of your issue. Your previous host must have made the backup when your site was suspended. When we restored it it restored correctly and started serving pages and ftp connections again. However the cpanel system still thought the account was suspended (even though it listed it as active). Running the unsuspended script on your site has resolved the issue.
I am still currently with Solid Internet hosting as I am giving them one more chance, if not I will be changing to X Hosting which I have heard (via Whirlpool Forums) is a very reliable, customer friendly Australian web hosting provider.
I have alerted WhirlPool forums about the dangers of Ultra Surge and Solid Internet. Thanks to everyone who has stuck with Just Creative Design through these problems.