This is the time of the year to reflect.
We all know the negatives of 2020 so I am not going to dwell on them but instead share some insights to a rather productive 2020.
While many year-in-review posts are self-indulgent humble brags, I’ve tried to tie in some advice & lessons learned for added value.
Thanks for being a part of my 2020.
JUST Keep Going.
My Biggest 2020 Insights
Here are the eight biggest insights I took from the past year.
1. The wisest decision I made…
Was focusing on learning & implementing brand strategy as this nearly doubled my consulting revenue with less clients.
Takeaway: Invest in yourself.
2. The biggest lesson I learned…
Sales and systems trump technical skill.
Takeaway: Experiment with your pricing strategies, funnels & customer service skills to level up.
3. The biggest risk I took…
Starting a podcast + starting two coaching mastermind groups. I also hired 7 people over the year including a VA, Podcast Editor, 3 Writers, Editor & Blog Assistant.
Takeaway: Hire to scale faster.
4. The biggest surprise of the year…
Apart from the obvious pandemic, referring over $3.5 million dollars to Amazon and earning over six figures of commission in the process.
Takeaway: Don’t underestimate the power of SEO and capitalism.
5. The most important thing I did for others…
Started a coaching group + consistently donated to charity through B1G1.
Takeaway: Give back.
6. The biggest thing I completed..
Brand Master Secrets course.
Takeaway: Always keep learning.
7. Best thing I created
The Inner Triangle Coaching Program
Takeaway: Get out of your comfort zone.
8. Biggest achievement
Not working weekends all year (nearly)
Takeaway: Work will always be there.
How I Make Money Online (& Help Others)
We’re all hybrids wearing many different hats and thus have to master a variety of skills. These are the areas that I specialise in and how I will help others in 2021 (aka how I make money online).
- Brand Consultancy / Design / Strategy
- Amazon Associates Program
- Affiliate Marketing + SEO
- Course Sales (Referring other people’s products/courses)
- Ads (BuySellAds, GoogleAds, Mediavine, VDO.IO)
- Email Newsletter Media Buys
2020 Blog Stats
- ~$15k/month Revenue (passive income)
- 6,300,000 Page Views (6.3 million!)
- 330 Articles Posted in 2020 (27.5/month)
- 5,400,000 Unique Visits
- 2.53 minutes average time on site
- 31,000 newsletter subscribers
Top Content of 2020
- See our Top Articles of 2020 post
2020 Personal Highlights
Despite the obvious downfalls of 2020, this was my best year yet in terms of business & personal growth and I actually feel a bit of guilt saying this as I know how rough this year has been for people all around the world.
But in reality these highlights are a good decade’s worth of consistent effort coming to fruition.
- Bought our dream house with seperate work studio
- Bought a family car
- Had a baby girl, Mika Cass
- Added two new arms to the business: coaching & podcasting
- Lived in South Africa for 2.5 months (Jan-March)
- Exercised 3-5 times a week
- 130 hours of coaching
- 2 Coaching Groups (Rising Stars & Pro)
- 30 Total members
- 22x Active Group Coaching members (Max 12 per group)
- 6x One-on-One Coaching Clients
JUST Branding Podcast
- 24 episodes (released fortnightly)
- 20 amazing Guests
- 30 5 Star Reviews
- ~2000 listens per episode
- Some advertising will start in 2021 to cover costs
- Best of 2020 Episode dropping soon’
This year I hired 7 contractors to help run JUST Creative.
- Virtual Assistant (Podcast posting + community management)
- 3x Writers
- Podcast Video / Audio Editor
- Blog Assistant (Wifey – not a new hire)
Although not a motivation for my work, it’s nice to be recognised for your efforts.
- 5x Logo Lounge Awards
- 10 Consecutive Years of LogoLounge Awards
- “Best Branding Coach” by Yahoo Finance
I have been fortunate enough to judge a number of award programs around the world. In 2020, I was a part of 5 different juries.
- Graphic Arts Today MVP Awards Jury
- Best Brand Awards Jury
- Horizon Interactive Design Awards Jury (2019- 2020)
- LogoWave Jury Member (2017-Current)
- International Visual Identity Awards (2015-Current)
I completed 7 brand strategy courses in 2020 along with a number of books on the topic.
- LEVEL C ‘Brand Specialist’ Certification with Marty Nemiumer
- Brand Master Certificate from Brand Master Academy
- Activate Your Strategic Brain
- Brand Consulting Mastery from Future Academy (in progress)
- View All Brand Strategy Courses
I lost count of how many collaborations I did this year, but it was more than all the years prior put together. Instagram Lives, Podcasts, Video Collabs, Zooms, Webinars & more. What an awesome creative community we have! So honoured to be a part of it.
- 5 Webinars
- 5 Podcasts
- 5 Video Collabs
- 5 Instagram Lives
- 100s of Zoom Calls (Not published)
I am so thankful for every member of our community. You are why I do what I do!
- Newsletter – 31,000 (soon to delete ~10k inactive)
- Twitter – 79,000
- Facebook – 104,000
- Facebook Group – 13,000
- YouTube – 3,880
- Instagram – 37,400
- LinkedIn – 5,000
Remember, even just one follower gives you influence. It’s not about the numbers.
2020 Year In Review
For a full review of 2020, I recommend watching this incredible video in full screen to take it all in. I got a number of goose-bump moments.
Here’s to a better 2021!
Thank you again for being a part of the JUST Creative Community.