The Innovative One Page Resume & PortfolioPosted on 19
In this guest article Jacob Share* goes through an innovative new way to display your work and CV – all on one page.
Many companies and recruiters prefer the simplicity and speed of one page resumes. As a designer, how can you have maximum impact with only a single sheet of paper? The answer…
The one page printed résumé and portfolio.
The one page resume portfolio is a 6-panel pamphlet that shows your resume when folded and your design portfolio when unfolded. You can click on the image above to view it in full.
How does it work?
The above image is an example of the one page printed resume and portfolio from a French Graphic Designer. It shows 3 different views and below is a description. From left to right;
- Front view of the resume portfolio, slightly open.
You can see the designer’s logo and contact information. Notice the vertical bar on the right side of the inner panel, where the text reads “curriculum vitae” with a right arrow and “portfolio” with a left arrow pointing inside.
- Partially-open view of the portfolio.
If you followed the left arrow and continued unfolding, this is what you’d see before you’re done. The panel with the arrow bar folds outwards, meaning that there’s actually more room for portfolio highlights inside.
- Resume details.
Following the right arrow will have you flip over the pamphlet, leading to the actual resume content.
Is it right for you?
- Somewhat complicated design is time-consuming to update or customise
- Uneven folding looks sloppy if done incorrectly and ruins the impact
- Usually requires costly colour laser-printing on thick paper for full effect
- More space to communicate and brand yourself
- Very memorable, especially when done well
- Design pun: lets you describe your skills while demonstrating them
- Have a history of school, volunteering or work projects before you use this design. Substituting with content that isn’t yours but that you’re “capable of creating” defeats the purpose and looks amateurish.
- The one page resume portfolio works best live when people can hold it and unfold it, like in interviews or at professional gatherings.
- The front panel should contain your logo and contact information at a glance.
- The front panel should be particularly eye-catching to make people want to pick it up and open it.
- An attractive image that continues off one panel will encourage the reader to unfold until they can see the entire image. Above, the French designer used that effect to lure the reader to see both resume-related panels together.
- The 2 configurations that work best are the pictured 4:2 portfolio to resume panel ratio with arrow bar and the 3:3 “resume-outside portfolio-inside” ratio.
- Use the resume portfolio to complement your “full” design portfolio whether physical or digital. For the former, you might consider a sentence about what else not pictured is in your portfolio. For the latter, give all pertinent links.
Want more resume and portfolio tips?
- The Graphic Design Resume Guide
- How and Where To Get Paid Design Work For Students
- The One Page Graphic Design Portfolio Guide – Online
- Resume-Writing Dos and Don’ts
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Resume Design
- Design Resume Style Guide
Great design is the best combination of trade-offs for a certain context. If you use it wisely, the one page resume portfolio could be a valuable tool in your hunt for new design jobs. What are your thoughts?
*Jacob Share created the award-winning JobMob to rally job seekers and jobfinders in getting jobs in Israel and all over the world. The blog is filled with straight-talking real world advice, lots of humour and design inspiration such as 36 Beautiful Resume Ideas That Work. Subscribe for a week via RSS, it’s free.
- 21 Best Selling Script & Calligraphy Fonts – 97% Off (3)
- Free Resources for Designers and Developers – Issue #1 (1)
- 10 Top Creative Print Advertisement Campaigns (4)
- Getting Offline – In-Person Networking Tips for Design Students (5)
- Artistic Design Bundle (1000s of Popular Creative Items) – Just $29 (6)